Tube Feeding

shantiah

I have a singleton baby puppy born by caesarian on Friday. Vet gave her 20% chance of survival but she is still here. She was very weak and couldnt / wouldnt suck. She is doing much better but still wont suck.

I have been tube feeding her using DOL liver formula (the one with goats milk etc)

On Sat she weighed 158g, today she is 141g although she is very active and bright. Her hip bones are sticking out and I am getting worried about her weight loss.

She is getting 2 1/2 ml every 2 hrs around the clock. Her tummy is quite tight after feeding.

How much should she be getting ? I have previously topped pups up but always they have still had mum to help

Edited by shantiah

I have a singleton baby puppy born by caesarian on Friday. Vet gave her 20% chance of survival but she is still here. She was very weak and couldnt / wouldnt suck. She is doing much better but still wont suck.

I have been tube feeding her using DOL liver formula (the one with goats milk etc)

On Sat she weighed 158g, today she is 141g although she is very active and bright. Her hip bones are sticking out and I am getting worried about her weight loss.

She is getting 2 1/2 ml every 2 hrs around the clock. Her tummy is quite tight after feeding.

How much should she be getting ? I have previously topped pups up but always they have still had mum to help

My suggestion is to get her onto a better quality formula designed for puppies with the correct calorie amount.

Wombaroo or Biolac would be a good start.Goats milk is for goats

As a rule the correct amount to feed is her weight in ounces converted to mls so 158gm is equal to 5 ounces, she should be getting 5 ml per feed

Toilet her before and after each feed as well.

Your ordinary goats milk has on average 167 calories per cup

Nubian goats milk has a higher fat content = more calories

Wombaroo has approx 300-500 calories per cup from memory??

On the back of a Wombaroo packet for her weight she would need 30mls per day

Feed her Biolac or Wombaroo.

ETA

Feeding Chart

Thanks for the feeding chart Sway. That is a great help. Looks like she needs a bit more per feed

Vet only had divetalac. I have not had much luck with this and had to work all weekend so couldnt go looking for anything else. Off shopping first thing in the morning. Have always had alot of success with the DOL recipe in the past.

Your ordinary goats milk has on average 167 calories per cup

Nubian goats milk has a higher fat content = more calories

Wombaroo has approx 300-500 calories per cup from memory??

On the back of a Wombaroo packet for her weight she would need 30mls per day

and just to add that those goats milk figures and the butterfat content of Anglo Nubian milk is only applicable to fresh goats milk, homogenised paturisted and ultra heat treated goats milk that you find in the supermarket is of no use whatsover to a newborn pup.

Feed her Biolac or Wombaroo.

ETA

Feeding Chart

Thanks for the feeding chart Sway. That is a great help. Looks like she needs a bit more per feed

Vet only had divetalac. I have not had much luck with this and had to work all weekend so couldnt go looking for anything else. Off shopping first thing in the morning. Have always had alot of success with the DOL recipe in the past.

Try vetNpetdirect online - their wombaroo is cheap and the delivery is fast

Thanks emilee. Off to order now

Got goat's milk from the neighbour's goats so it was fresh but no idea what sort they are.

Got goat's milk from the neighbour's goats so it was fresh but no idea what sort they are.

I know that there is an enormous amount of debate over what is the best food for dogs at every stage of their life but I thought that I would post to say that I am a week and a bit into feeding two tiny puppies which I started on Woombaroo and then changed to the homemade formula. My guys were 153g and 114g respectively and the smaller pup dropped to 104g before I changed to the homemade formula and they have now both doubled their birth weight in the week and getting stronger by the day. I am in no way criticising the Woombaroo but when I tasted it it tasted bitter and the pups weren't particularly keen. Initially I was feeding the smaller of my pups 3mL every 2 to 3 hours and now she is up to 8 - 10mL every four hours. I find the management of tiny puppies very emotionally draining and far prefer it when I simply have to sit at the side of the whelping box and watch the mum do all of the hard work! Hopefully I am going to win this particular battle though.

I know that there is an enormous amount of debate over what is the best food for dogs at every stage of their life but I thought that I would post to say that I am a week and a bit into feeding two tiny puppies which I started on Woombaroo and then changed to the homemade formula. My guys were 153g and 114g respectively and the smaller pup dropped to 104g before I changed to the homemade formula and they have now both doubled their birth weight in the week and getting stronger by the day. I am in no way criticising the Woombaroo but when I tasted it it tasted bitter and the pups weren't particularly keen. Initially I was feeding the smaller of my pups 3mL every 2 to 3 hours and now she is up to 8 - 10mL every four hours. I find the management of tiny puppies very emotionally draining and far prefer it when I simply have to sit at the side of the whelping box and watch the mum do all of the hard work! Hopefully I am going to win this particular battle though.

That is really strange Teak - did you check the use by date, I found the Wombaroo quite sweet and the pups raised on it really thrived. I used to like the Biolac but not so much now as it is bright yellow and smells highly of Vitamin B

That is really strange Teak - did you check the use by date, I found the Wombaroo quite sweet and the pups raised on it really thrived. I used to like the Biolac but not so much now as it is bright yellow and smells highly of Vitamin B

I had the same thought but the box's use by date is Aug '12 so all good on that front.

Hi All,

I do hope the little might is doing much better with all the advise given.

I have found after discussion with vets and breeders around the country the milk re placers may almost be breed pacific.(sp)

I find that Divetelact is great for my sight hounds but when rearing a sent hound although it did alright on Divetelact, it did better Wombaroo.

I find that this is not the reverse with sight hounds.

I am not happy with home milk formulas as I believe that they do not give the full range of nutrients that a baby puppy requires.

Maybe we could all put our heads together and form a list of what we believe that our individual breed do best on.

It maybe a great help to persons in a similar situation.

It is hard work handraising puppies; years ago I found myself having to raise 4 chi pups, they all survived but it was hard work having to get up every 3 hours during the night and worrying about aspiration pneumonia even though I knew I was doing it right via tube feeding. The worry that something would go wrong and that the puppies wouldn't thrive left me very emotionally drained but I also felt rewarded at the end of it all.

Best of luck to you.