Litters Due August 2011

Bilbo Baggins

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So how would you make the decision to supplement feed?

My man has lost a little weight, but is active and skin is nice and tight. I'm worried she may not have as much milk as I thought, and it's still colostrum. I'm getting a bit worried waiting for it to come in properly. At the same time, I know of the slippery slope of supply once comp feeds are given, so am very wary of it.

ETA- the weight loss is 70g so far. He's active and feeding around 1 1/2 hours, sucking well, etc. At this point thinking I'll wait until morning and see what his weight is doing then.

Edited by MissMaddy

Ok, so looking at my little boy this morning, he'd lost more weight (down to 501g, so has lost 114g), and he was clearly dehydrated by his skin. I rang a breeder friend, and she suggested some sugary water and to start supplementing him until her milk comes in. He's had 1ml of the water and 3ml of wombaroo and is a MUCH happier baby now. He's now looking well hydrated again. Going to head into town and get her some fenugrek shortly, and will ring the vet to see if they recommend anything else.

Ok, so looking at my little boy this morning, he'd lost more weight (down to 501g, so has lost 114g), and he was clearly dehydrated by his skin. I rang a breeder friend, and she suggested some sugary water and to start supplementing him until her milk comes in. He's had 1ml of the water and 3ml of wombaroo and is a MUCH happier baby now. He's now looking well hydrated again. Going to head into town and get her some fenugrek shortly, and will ring the vet to see if they recommend anything else.

Hi MissMaddy, Just saw your post. Yes def supplement if he's not getting enough from mum. Will check in again shortly got a visitor at the moment.

Thanks Chocolate. I had a lovely breeder friend who I was on the phone to yesterday morning who gave me some wonderful advice. The lil man has now gained 22g, and looks like mum's milk has come in, so seeing how he goes without a supplement feed for tonight's weight. He's starting to look filled out again, and his tummy looked full after he fed off her last time (plus I was able to get about 4-5ml off her and she now looks full and some are squirting :laugh: ).

Thanks Chocolate. I had a lovely breeder friend who I was on the phone to yesterday morning who gave me some wonderful advice. The lil man has now gained 22g, and looks like mum's milk has come in, so seeing how he goes without a supplement feed for tonight's weight. He's starting to look filled out again, and his tummy looked full after he fed off her last time (plus I was able to get about 4-5ml off her and she now looks full and some are squirting :laugh: ).

Okay super MissMaddy I just got a bit worried when I read he had lost 114g. You wouldn't want him dropping more and important to act quickly before he gets weak but sounds like all is going well now :thumbsup: Just keep a regular tab on his weight for the time being but that 22g increase is terrific and if he's looking pot bellied then wonderful!

Edited by Chocolate

Yeah that weight loss had me quite worried, but even moreso was the dehydration. I'll now make sure I always have saline and some needles and syringes on hand in future (thank goodness I had the wombaroo). He's looking a lot more pot bellied, and I'm thinking now he's going to turn into a fatty! :laugh: He's currently snuggled into mum's tummy so all he has to do is wake, suck, go back to sleep! :rofl: He wasn't all that interested when I gave him some expressed colostrum, and he's now quiet when he feeds so I'd say his tummy is filling up a lot more now. :D

I think it also takes longer for mum's milk to come in and come in well if there are only 1 or 2 babies. I feel that the more there are the more milk there will be! Supply and demand... :laugh:

Edited to add - really please that things are improving :thumbsup:

Edited by AdoubleJ

post-24429-0-31138100-1313909455_thumb.jpgHere is my little man Jax. He will be three weeks on wednesday. Cheers Sharon

oh isn't Jax adorable! :heart:

Mine are 2 weeks today and I'll add a photo in a min once I've resized for DOL.

post-8397-0-21545200-1313913472_thumb.jpg

Edited by Chocolate