Litters Due August 2011

Bilbo Baggins

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cute little man Jackofhearts! :love: He looks very sweet (for now!) :laugh:

We're playing the waiting game now. My girl had her last prog Monday night, and we're checking the puppy's heart rate every day (plus me feeling for movements and listening with the stethescope), but won't be long now. No changes in temp despite the stopping progesterone, unless I've missed it. How long does it stay down for? I'm expecting it to go under 37degrees as it's usually 37.5-38 degrees. She's got milk in 5 teets now, so just waiting waiting. Will be much easier (and cheaper!) if she does labour natrually.

Ok, another visit to the vet. The heart rate is just a little slower, but still ok. Given she has no other signs such as more milk or nesting, mucous, temp drop (looks like she's holding her progesterone herself), the vet wants to wait til tomorrow, but we're going in when they open to have it rechecked. I'd say we'll be going in tomorrow morning at this stage.

Ok, another visit to the vet. The heart rate is just a little slower, but still ok. Given she has no other signs such as more milk or nesting, mucous, temp drop (looks like she's holding her progesterone herself), the vet wants to wait til tomorrow, but we're going in when they open to have it rechecked. I'd say we'll be going in tomorrow morning at this stage.

Finger crossed she will have it naturally Miss Maddy. It sounds like she's doing just fine so far. Do you know from ovulation which date she is actually due to whelp naturally?

She's day 63 from ovulation tomorrow. She was mated 2 and 4 days after ovulation. Vet just felt it was a bit early, but nearly decided to go in tonight, but wants us in 1st thing in the morning to be sure puppy is ok.

If the heartbeat is still good in the morning and pup is showing no signs of distress will give her the opportunity to deliver it naturally tomorrow?

So we went back to the vet this morning, and the heart rate had slowed a bit more. She decided to do a caesar then, so we have a not so little male puppy weighing in at 615g! :D She has plenty of milk already (and will have heaps more by the way he's hogging the milk bar), so if anyone hears of orphaned pups or an extremely large litter, I'd be happy to try her with them. She's not sure this little slug is hers, but she's licking him, has toileted him (although likes the cord a bit too much so will have to watch her with that), and is just very worried about standing on him. He hasn't pooed yet, how soon should he do that? I know human babies we give them 24 hours.

Yeah good point, thanks oakeydoak1. He had done a little at the vet, and there's some dark brown stuff on a towel (I thought it was old blood, but she's not been on the towel), so guess he'll do it. She's a little too interested in his tummy, so having to make sure she only makes him go to the toilet, and doesn't lick his cord too much. I think she's going to be a great mum given how easily she's accepted him.

Woohoo :champagne: congratulations MissMaddy on your new boys :birthday: What a whopper, what would be an average weight for a GS pup? Glad she's got milk and sounds like he did his first poop already so all will be fine. Can you tell yet whether short or long haired?

Thanks Chocolate, he is a bit cute! I think average is around 500g for GSDs. I can't tell yet if long or short coat, but I have a feeling he's a short coat. We'll see if I'm right! :laugh:

How often do you guys weigh them? Is twice a day enough?

She's getting more and more attached to him. While she is a bit worried about him under her feet, she goes out to the toilet, and then runs straight back in there. I'm amazed and so proud of my girl as how good she's being with him. :D