When Puppy Isn't Interested In Treats...

Guest HarperGD

Guest HarperGD

How am I supposed to reward my pup for when he IS quiet in his playpen if he isn't interested in treats????

We are trying so hard to follow all the puppy confinement rules. I thought we were going to be fine giving him the stuffed kongs but no matter what I put in them... not interested.

Is there anything I can try to use as a treat that he might like??

He isn't interested in kibble. He does like mince but doesn't go ga-ga to get it or anything and those liver treat things are too hard for him to chew.

To be honest, he doesn't seem that food motivated still. I know it's only day 2, but I thought all dogs looooved their food??

Edited by HarperGD

Sometimes the upheaval of going to a new home can upset a puppy's tummy and turn them off their food. It was at least a week before Erik showed much interest in food after I got him. At this age you can use attention as a reward instead. If you want him to be calm, reward him with slow strokes and massages and talk to him softly.

.... praise, cuddles ,etc. These are a GREAT reward .... :)

if you read up on Nothing In Life Is Free .... then any praise /cuddling/treats should be given only when pup/dog is doing something 'good'. NOT pawing your leg to be picked up , NOT clambering ,uninvited onto the couch and your lap, NOT for just looking cute ;)

Being calm and quiet , having all four feet on the ground when spoken to , sitting, ...all these are good times for skritches and cuddles and treats if wanted :)

Our dogs get lots of vocal/physical praise when they behave :)

Hmmm, I suspect this little one will have you well and truly trained in a few weeks!!! LOL

Best treats I have found is BBQ chicken or similar in your situation as this pup doesn't seem to be a big eater and is only new. However if the pup isn't hungry then treats are not useful.

Once you settle into a routine with him, you will both develop a better understanding of each other and also develop a feeding regime.

I suppose the main thing to aim for is for the pup to realise that calm, quiet behaviour is what is required and that food comes at preset times in preset amounts and is to be eaten within 15 minutes.

This will enable you to gauge his appetite and know when and what type of treats to give.

You are still going through the settling in period in which the pup will make its own rules depending on whether you let him or not and this goes for what it will eat and what it won't and how far you are prepared to cater for his preferences.

He will only have a very small stomach - some pups are big eaters and some eat like birds. Treats should be seen as part of the daily food allowance otherwise you can end up with a picky dog.

Guest HarperGD

We will give chicken a try.

I'm not pandering to his non-eating I'm just worried he's gonna lose weight and then I'm going to look like a terrible owner :eek:

Relax. Most pups don't eat much the first week or so... everythings different so they go on strike... if he is hungry, he WILL eat. Chicken necks were a fave for our boy when he was younger, but he didn't even want those. I think you're expecting a little much too soon, but I think we all go through that... we kinda forget how much of an upheaval it is for them and expect they should just fit in straight away.

Our pup loves his dry food and mince mixture as recommended by his breeder but is nowhere near interested by liver treats, other commercial treats etc. What does your breeder suggest?

We mostly praise pup by lots of attention and "good boys" and he responds well to this. As others have mentioned not all dogs are food focused, just find what works for you :) IF you decide to try chicken necks Please Supervise your pup, they can try to swallow the whole thing and it's conveniently shaped to block the airway, that said some dogs are fine and absolutely love them...

Guest HarperGD

Our breeder recommended mince and he liked that.

Last night we stuffed some in a toilet roll he had been attacking and he happily chewed that.

I think he just prefers soft food cos his teeth as still sooooo small :) awwwww... :laugh:

EDIT: This morning I soaked kibble in lactose free milk, warmed it in the microwave and stuffed it into a toilet roll. Taped the ends and cut a small hole in the middle. Budget kong!!

AAAAAAANND - he ate it!! :D :D Kept him busy for a few minutes too!

We tried tying it inside his crate but he managed to undo the string - cheeky.

Better luck with lunch, hopefully....

Edited by HarperGD

Glad he's eating ... but remember that altho his teeth are small, they are perfectly sharp enough! if he can bite/chew a toilet roll.. and undo string,he can chew dry food /bones! ;) Gradually reduce the liquid you are using ..just a little each day .. so that he is eating his dry -dry .Don't let him dictate what he eats !!

If he has been eating slop at the breeder .. then he may need to learn about chewing . Some nice chicken wings (whole) ,lamb ribs, beef soup bones .. will encourage those jaw muscles to work, and therefore develop properly . Chewing is very important ;)... and bones are a much better thing to start him on than shoes/electric cords, or carpet .

If he has been eating slop at the breeder .. then he may need to learn about chewing . Some nice chicken wings (whole) ,lamb ribs, beef soup bones .. will encourage those jaw muscles to work, and therefore develop properly . Chewing is very important ;)... and bones are a much better thing to start him on than shoes/electric cords, or carpet .

I'm with persephone regarding bones! :)

A bit of grated smelly parmesan cheese sprinkled on the food that the dog won't eat normally sparks some interest.

Hi,

I'm going to jump on-board/hijack this thread slightly (sorry), but it also relates to my 6 month old pup that loves treats, but sometimes she loves playing more than her treats.

The other day nothing would get her attention, even when I did try reward her with a treat for doing the right thing, she didn't want it, she just spat it out. These are treats she usually loves too. She just wanted to play with the other pup her age. Eventually I had to use water as an incentive in order to get her to do anything because she was so thirsty from playing.

So, how do you train/control them when treats don't work?

And how do you make them more interested than you, compared to other dogs?

Thanks.

Hi,

I'm going to jump on-board/hijack this thread slightly (sorry), but it also relates to my 6 month old pup that loves treats, but sometimes she loves playing more than her treats.

The other day nothing would get her attention, even when I did try reward her with a treat for doing the right thing, she didn't want it, she just spat it out. These are treats she usually loves too. She just wanted to play with the other pup her age. Eventually I had to use water as an incentive in order to get her to do anything because she was so thirsty from playing.

So, how do you train/control them when treats don't work?

And how do you make them more interested than you, compared to other dogs?

Thanks.

A dog who is over threshhold (over excited) won't take food. The trick is to work your dog under threshhold. Which means to place enough distance between her and the distraction (other dogs) to allow her to think/not react. That may be 5m or it may be more like 50m+. If she's still bouncing around ignoring you then you need to move further away. Keep the reward rate high and make it exciting! - let her chase and catch the treat rather than just shoving it in her mouth, lots of praise etc. Work on building her focus on you then once you have that you can very slowly start to close the distance. It may take a while.

I'd also work on neutralising her to other dogs/pups, rather than teaching her that play with dogs is THE best thing ever. You can do that by only letting her interact with calm adult dogs who will mostly ignore her. (She can still play from time to time - just be very selective who it's with).