Blockage

Cost me $4100 to have part of a rope toy removed from my Lab at Newcastle Emergency Vets which had to be paid for straight away. I suspected a blockage and told them that. He spent one night there. On top of that was the cost of initial consultation plus a day of aftercare at local vets!

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Far out.....that sure is a bloody huge price to pay!

warval dobe

Posted 07 June 2011 - 04:08 PM

We lost our beautiful dobe girl Jazz last year because of blockage in the intestine (believe it or not it was straw!)

The cost was $750 after hours call-out and that was without any surgery (she passed away minutes before.

Peaches

Posted 07 June 2011 - 09:31 PM

Cost me $4100 to have part of a rope toy removed from my Lab at Newcastle Emergency Vets which had to be paid for straight away. I suspected a blockage and told them that. He spent one night there. On top of that was the cost of initial consultation plus a day of aftercare at local vets!

Can you beleive we had to pay the Horsham vet before we could take her home to bury!

The last one we did came to about $1500. That was from initial consultation until home, for a giant dog. Included consult, xrays, some in house bloods, surgery, fluids, pain relief, AB's and a couple of days in hospital.

Hope it's nothing serious :)

That was Dante....he's so awesome at costing money.

That was cheap..............it cost me way over twice that!

That was middle of the night emergency surgery, a couple of plasma transfusions, 3 days in hospital, IV fluids, multiple blood tests, lots of drugs.......................

Hope he's okay and it's nothing serious.

The last one we did came to about $1500. That was from initial consultation until home, for a giant dog. Included consult, xrays, some in house bloods, surgery, fluids, pain relief, AB's and a couple of days in hospital.

That was middle of the night emergency surgery, a couple of plasma transfusions, 3 days in hospital, IV fluids, multiple blood tests, lots of drugs.......................

I am willing to swap vet bills too. My chicken bone cost me many thousands and he will never eat a normal meal again. A lot of complications and a 6mth recovery period makes for very expensive vet bills. It gets to the point where you don't want to keep track.

Glad to hear he is feeling better.

At the vet hospital i work at we have seen lots of odd things stuck. Plastic nipple of a babies bottle, g-string, tampons and quite a few skewers to name a few!! All of them where very expensive to the owner.

Edited by skyesblue

I am willing to swap vet bills too. My chicken bone cost me many thousands and he will never eat a normal meal again. A lot of complications and a 6mth recovery period makes for very expensive vet bills. It gets to the point where you don't want to keep track.

Glad to hear he is feeling better.

Sigh...... Tell me about it.

I am glad he is interested in food!!

Sending good (non-blockage) wishes your boys way, Ruthless.

We lost our beautiful dobe girl Jazz last year because of blockage in the intestine (believe it or not it was straw!)

The cost was $750 after hours call-out and that was without any surgery (she passed away minutes before.

Is that Jazz in your avatar? Beautiful dog.

It goes to show that no matter how pedantic you may be these things can still happen. :(

Dollop just has to out do Dante doesn't he :laugh: We didn't have to do after hours, I think that saved a bucket load!

No words of advice... but I hope he (Chopper?) feels better soon! :crossfingers::)

Thanks, it wasn't Chopper, it was Bruno, our newbie. I got him from Renbury before we went overseas and he's been in temp care till we got back tonight. He lost a bit of weight with all the vomitting, but he's totally fine apart from that. Mine sometimes spew after turkey necks and Bruno had had one that day so I thought it might have caused a blockage. Thankfully not :)

Sorry about Jazz, Warval Dobe :(