Two Males Sharing One House?

Ruftybear

I would love to hear some advice from people more experienced than me with this topic.

We have always had at least 3 dogs for as long as I can remember, but only ever one male in the group. We currently have one 3 year old male shitzu X who is an absolute sweetie and not a mean bone in his body, as well as our 11 year old Jack Russell X who is a female and a lovely girl too (both are desexed). We have decided that since we recently lost our little mini foxie (Lucy), that we have room in our family for a rescue dog and wonder whether you would recommend we get a male or a female. A rescue I spoke to recently has said that two males (desexed) are fine together, but I would love to hear what others here think. I would be looking at a small breed because it will be a house dog.

Just allow them to spend some time with a prospective friend - ask a rescue group for a non dominant male or female that is good with both sexes and you should be OK, take your dogs along and introduce 1 at a time. If one of yours is toy obsessed or possessive, then the incoming dog needs to be disinterested in toys or you'll possibly have troubles. I have 4 of my own dogs - 3 males and a female and 2 long term fosters - 1 male, 1 female. All of them get along famously. I have a new foster that should rehome quickly - a female, she's a beauty and very rehomable so shouldn't be here long.

I should also say that I've been owning and fostering dogs for many years! I've probably had over 150 fosters and owned quite a few dogs since 2005, I take on older dogs so unfortunately lose them, often within 1 to 3 years. Of course I provide them with all veterinary treatment possible and do everythign to give them quality of life but inevitably they get cancer or other things that take them away.

Edited by dogmad

Just allow them to spend some time with a prospective friend - ask a rescue group for a non dominant male or female that is good with both sexes and you should be OK, take your dogs along and introduce 1 at a time. If one of yours is toy obsessed or possessive, then the incoming dog needs to be disinterested in toys or you'll possibly have troubles. I have 4 of my own dogs - 3 males and a female and 2 long term fosters - 1 male, 1 female. All of them get along famously. I have a new foster that should rehome quickly - a female, she's a beauty and very rehomable so shouldn't be here long.

I should also say that I've been owning and fostering dogs for many years! I've probably had over 150 fosters and owned quite a few dogs since 2005, I take on older dogs so unfortunately lose them, often within 1 to 3 years. Of course I provide them with all veterinary treatment possible and do everythign to give them quality of life but inevitably they get cancer or other things that take them away.

Thanks for the advice. You are wonderful for rescuing and fostering so many dogs, especially the older dogs. It's heartbreaking to lose them, but they bring so much to your life.

I have 6 male dogs. 2 large, 4 small. All get along, it's the 2 desexed bitches that grumble at each other occassionally.

I did hear that the bitches can be a bit that way. We used to have a Silky (Sasha) who really didn't like Molly, our Jack Russell X. They never fought at all, but Sasha made it clear how she felt and Molly knew not to push her luck .. lol .. other than that we've never had any issues.

Thanks dogmad, but we prefer puppies. My mother won't have them older, though it doesn't bother me. We are thinking about it and I have done some searching on the rescues in our area. I'm also going to check with our vets because they sometimes have dumped animals left with them. The right one will find us at the right time ... well that's what seems to happen with most of our other dogs anyway :D

I have kept entire males together for many years and they were often used at stud.

About the only time they are separated is when the bitches come in season. I know I have done this and they do live happily together. :)

I have two entire males, a desexed male and an entire female here and we have never had issues.

The boys get a little silly when ALchemy is in season but they are kept seperate during that time, otherwise we have never had a problem.

I have kept entire males together for many years and they were often used at stud.

About the only time they are separated is when the bitches come in season. I know I have done this and they do live happily together. :)

I'd hope for nothing less from Whippets. Other breeds I'd not try it.

So much depends on the breed and the individual dog.

If the dogs are desexed it doesn't matter what sexes are kept together. The dogs don't know what sex the other desexed dog is.It is more a matter of the personality of the dogs.

Keeping entire males & females together is different & depends on many various factors.

If you have an old dog just make sure it has somewhere to get away from the new puppy, its not fair to subject an old chook to sharp toothed pups with no manners. :)

Don't worry, Molly has loads of place to get away ... usually my bed. When Toby first came and he got too much she would flatten him with her paw and that would slow him down :laugh:

I have 5 unneutered male Vizslas,no problems here. Ages are 12, 2 x 10 year olds,6 year old and a 5 year old.

Never had a problem and they all share my bed with me for naps on a daily basis.

So it can be done.

I've only ever kept desexed dogs, up to 4 at a time. Never had problems with the boys together, just occasional jealousy between the girls. I think it is more a matter of personality than sex - I am sure there are a lot of entire male dogs that live together happily.