Strange Puppy Ears

Guest crickets

Hello.

I have just taken in a rescue puppy this afternoon, along with her litter sister. I believe they are likely a Chihuahua x small fox terrier type. They were vet checked and vaccinated today, and deemed to be no more than 7 weeks old.

One of the puppies ear tips are folded over backwards. I have never seen this in 25 yrs of dogs, but i am hoping the collective wisdom of DOL prevails.

Has anyone seen this before ? What would cause it ? What, if anything, can be done about it ?

I did think of taping &/ or massaging, but realistically, she is just a mutt puppy and it's really not terribly important for her to have perfect ear set!.

Anyway, here she is.....

post-34343-0-79129900-1307533217_thumb.jpg

I have a friend locally with two Yorkies, both brothers and both have this same thing. It's so strange.

I wish I could tell you that it's alright/not alright and give some information but I really have no idea.

I think it's really very cute.

I wouldn't expect them to stay that way...it's probably temporary, the ears are only just beginning to become erect and for some reason the ligaments are strengthening sort of upside down and I would guess that the ear shape means the weighty tops flop backwards rather than forwards due to some weird ligament section not growing as fast as it should ( that's the best I can explain it).

They will probably come erect in time with a little top flap (forward) in the long run. Sort of like papillon ears maybe with a little sheltie type fold?

All bets are off again when the adult teeth start to come in though! You can really see weird ears then in many breeds!

Pleased to say that one ear miraculously righted itself today, so the other will hopefully follow...AND she got an adoption today :thumbsup: She won't be leaving us until the end of June so that she can be desexed and receive her 2nd vaccination, but so wonderful that she has gone from dumped at the local footy oval, to adopted , in the space of a few days :D

• 1 month later...

I tried to post on the 'broken ear' thread but won't allow me in the breeders forum (why is that btw?)

Anyway, here is the sweet little pup playing with my own dog. Her ears came good and have stayed perfectly normal. She's thriving in her new home now :)

post-34343-0-90133100-1310701553_thumb.jpg

I tried to post on the 'broken ear' thread but won't allow me in the breeders forum (why is that btw?)

Anyway, here is the sweet little pup playing with my own dog. Her ears came good and have stayed perfectly normal. She's thriving in her new home now :)

You need to be a breeder to post in there.

Glad the little girl is doing so well :thumbsup:

hmm, what qualifies me as a breeder.... i did title my 2 Skye Terriers, bred one litter under my prefix & have been involved with dogs for 25 yrs? Is that enough ??

hmm, what qualifies me as a breeder.... i did title my 2 Skye Terriers, bred one litter under my prefix & have been involved with dogs for 25 yrs? Is that enough ??

I have no idea. You need to ask Troy for permisson to join.

Ask him.

OMG what an adorable little cutie! No wonder he already found a home. How unusual in regards to the ears, but they probably will right themselves, mostly anyway - and as you said, he is not a show pup so its ok.

Did I say how cute he was?

OMG :heart:

I find Chihuahuas adorable. I used to think they were terrible little dogs until I met so many wonderful ones, well trained, well adjusted, affectionate...and I just melted. My husband would never agree to such a small dog. He likes 'real' dogs - the 'full' size ones :rolleyes:

OMG what an adorable little cutie! No wonder he already found a home. How unusual in regards to the ears, but they probably will right themselves, mostly anyway - and as you said, he is not a show pup so its ok.

Did I say how cute he was?

OMG :heart:

I find Chihuahuas adorable. I used to think they were terrible little dogs until I met so many wonderful ones, well trained, well adjusted, affectionate...and I just melted. My husband would never agree to such a small dog. He likes 'real' dogs - the 'full' size ones :rolleyes:

yes i'd have to agree. everyone thinks chihuahuas are these little dogs that just sit in their owners arms or aren't a real dog.

they act like terriers and have many terrier like qualities about them, they are all different personalities. mine are rough and ready to take on teh world and are tough as nails i bring them up that way, no mottycoddling in this household. :)

getting back to the ears, my little chi boy had this when he was about 4-8 weeks of age, i kept messaging his ears and they righted themselves. now they are normal position. he was a sickly little boy as he is very tiny for his age. he is now about 12-13 weeks of age and so far doing great, he was touch and go when he was about 6 weeks nearly lost him :( .

thats the first time i've seen that in 26 years of having this breed.

Edited by toy dog