Clipper Burn?

I am hoping someone can help me with a problem I have with my Standard Poodle. He has recently been to new groomer but since he had come home he is very uncomfortable - he is wanting to sit down all the time and he is carrying his tail to the side. He is really miserable with it. When I told the groomer she intimated that she did nothing wrong and does not know what is wrong - I suspect she does as she gave me some soothing lotion for him . I dont know the name of it as she decanted it into a very small container for my use -'Paws' brand I think. It does not seem to be helping him. I would appreciate advice on how to help him.

:confused:

I am hoping someone can help me with a problem I have with my Standard Poodle. He has recently been to new groomer but since he had come home he is very uncomfortable - he is wanting to sit down all the time and he is carrying his tail to the side. He is really miserable with it. When I told the groomer she intimated that she did nothing wrong and does not know what is wrong - I suspect she does as she gave me some soothing lotion for him . I dont know the name of it as she decanted it into a very small container for my use -'Paws' brand I think. It does not seem to be helping him. I would appreciate advice on how to help him.

Hi Macksmum, just check that he hasn't been nicked on the anus by the clippers, I have seen that done before, you could put some vitamin e cream on him, hopefully he will be okay by tomorrow.

Hi Macksmum, just check that he hasn't been nicked on the anus by the clippers, I have seen that done before, you could put some vitamin e cream on him, hopefully he will be okay by tomorrow.

Sorry for the double post, I don't know how to delete it!

Edited by Cala

If this has been going on for more than 24 hours, take him to the vet.

It might be nothing more serious than clipper rash but you never know. Better safe than sorry.

Is there any obvious nick or inflammation?

Hi Cala,

thank your for your response I have checked him and can't see any nicks, but there is redness on his tail. I have been smoothing Betadine on it.

If this has been going on for more than 24 hours, take him to the vet.

It might be nothing more serious than clipper rash but you never know. Better safe than sorry.

Is there any obvious nick or inflammation?

Thank you Poodle fan and Persephone, I have noticed redness on his skin. I think that she may have run the blade against the lie of his coat and caused a burn or irritation. He is fine when out walking and distracted, but still showing signs of irritation at home. I have been cleaning it with a mild antispetic - Betadine and adding a soothing Aloevera lotion as well.

awww poor boy :(

I have had good results with Lucas Papaw Ointment has antibacterial and antimicrobial properties, its used for

Minor Burns Chafing, Cuts, Gravel Rash, Minor Open Wounds, Nappy Rash Scalds, Sunburn, Splinters and Thorns also Temporary relief of the symptoms of dermatitis and eczema.

Plus is all natural product :)

Hi Mack's mum, As the owner, groomer and exhibitor of several standard poodles over the years I can say that poodles sometimes do this after they have had their tail and anal area shaved. It is probably just itchy or could even just feel a bit naked. It does not mean the groomer was incompetent or reckless. Mac could also have had a bit of a chew if it was itchy and thereby made it worse. Putting cream on could also encourage him to lick and make it worse. I tend to put a little baby powder on tooshies that are feeling a bit sensitive. Before learning to clip my own dogs one did have a case of clipper burn on her face (which she made worse by scratching)and I did take her to the vet - however, nowdays if they get a problem (using a 40 blade on skin that is not used to it) can result in rashing I apply Bepanthen (used for babies with nappy rash)to the area and do not let the dog lick or scratch the area. Of course if there was an infection or the irritation continues you would visit the vet. If they are just itchy I use baby powder. Hope this helps. For the record I always shave against the growth of the hair on the the tail, face and feet.

Edited by frufru

Thank you Paplover and frufru,I really appreciate your suggestions. It is hard to watch him being so miserable. I have noticed that as well as redness/irritation on his tail he has redness on his sheath too which is causing him misery.

Frufru, I spoke to a former groomer today and she suggested I use JJ babypowder (cornstarch). As I said I have been applying Betadine so I might add the powder after this. I hear what you say about clipping against the fur but I can't thnk what else would caouse the redness/irritation, maybe he is more sensitive than most dogs. I normally clip him myself and I am no expert but I have not had this issue before, and as I don't clip against the growth I am assuming this has caused the irritation.

Paplover, like you I did consider using Pawpaw ointment as it so good but thought he would be more likely to lick this off. I will try the above and see how he goes, as I said he is fine if he is distracted or even lying down.

Thank you again for your support and feedback.

Since Erny is not here to say it I feel the need to do it for her. Calendula Tea. :D

Calendula Tea applied to the area will make a difference. Having seen just how much relief it gave my pug I am now on Erny's Calendula Tea band wagon..

Cheap and easy and it works.

Mack - I wouldn't use Betadine - use something soothing! If your boy is licking the area could get infected - if you have an elizabethan collar - stick it on him.

Nicole - do Grooming Salons go shorter than a 10 blade for ffts - bit risky unless it is a very thick coat or a dog that is used to it.

Mack, Ask them to fft before bathing - I find this reduces the chance of rashing and washes away the clipped hair which could cause itchiness.

Again thank you all for you wonderful tips and feed back. I will not use the Betadine. I have bought some Aveeno fragrance free, soothing relief, Moisture creem with Colloidal Oatmeal. Using the baby powder seems to be helping.

I appreciate the tea remedy too, as I have used tea before for skin problems on my other dog.

He is Black. the groomer said she used a 10# on him. What does fft stand for.

I will be out of town for a couple of days

Hope you all have a great weekend and thanks for your ideas.

frufru I have seen groomers use 15# and 30# on clients dogs with not so good results, I personally will use nothing but a 10# on my clients dogs.

A black poodle should not be reacting so badly if a 10# was used correctly, maybe next time the top of the tail could be done with a 10# and the underneath scissored, I have used this method on a few white poodles with good results.

• 1 month later...

Since Erny is not here to say it I feel the need to do it for her. Calendula Tea. :D

Calendula Tea applied to the area will make a difference. Having seen just how much relief it gave my pug I am now on Erny's Calendula Tea band wagon..

Cheap and easy and it works.

Yay :cheer: Andisa.

I'm here, but not regularly. Getting better but a bit like a car with an unreliable engine that needs a bit more tinkering (ie time) to improve. Glad you put your post in about the Calendula. :)