Saying 'thank You' To Dogs

"Thank you" is my command for "spit whatever it is you have in your mouth - out, now". So I use it a lot for tennis balls, especially ones that are not hers. And sometimes for strapping tape and base balls. And often for shoes that she fetches.

She frequently gets a treat in trade - especially at the park. So she can be a strapping tape and baseball hunting fiend when she's hungry or I have especially good treats. And it matters not whose ball she has (nicked), she always brings it to me. Thank you!

It doesn't work so well for take away food debris, but is not completely ineffective.

Yes! All the time! Whenever they do me a favour!

I sometimes drop food and will say “Clean up on aisle three please”. I thank them once they clean up.

Bubby also barks to alert people approaching the house. I always say “Thank you darling, that will be enough for now”

Sounds like the kind of monologue that goes on in our house. :)

On the rare occaison she does something useful...

just kidding, she is good, she closes doors, brings me my shoes etc

HOwever, should I really be thanking her for bringing my shoes to me so I have to go take her out for a walk :laugh:

I often say thank you to them. Luci used to react if I say "excuse me?"...she would know what she was doing what was inappropriate and change her behaviour.

We say thank you and we also say excuse me to both the cats and the dogs. And all of them know what excuse me means as they immediately stop any inappropriate behaviour and look at us. We had one of our dogs in the vet and I called in to pick her up and was horrified that she had been driving them crazy with her noise. Walked up to the crate and said in a quiet voice "Excuse me" and she immediately stopped. THe vet and his nurses started laughing and said if we had only known we just had to be polite lol. We also say sorry if we bump them or have to stand up when they are sitting on our laps.

I don't care who hears and I see nothing wrong being polite to our cats and dogs after all I expect them to have good manners too.

Edited by Mags

When my little grey Maddie sticks her nose up at the kitchen when I'm cooking one simple excuse me sees the nose go down,the tail wag and the doe eyes come out!When she jumps on the bed and my big grey Stan is already up there and he gives her the evil eye I say "Excuse me be nice to your sister".His head goes straight under his foot as if to say "ok but I never asked for a little sister"! :D

Yes, ad I am so polite I even say bless you when she sneezes.

laugh.gif Me too.

I say thankyou, excuse me, please, and bless you. And have conversations with them like they can answer me. You do crazy things when you only have dogs as company most of the week :p My favourite time is in the morning as I'm getting ready for work. Millie takes herself back off to bed and Ruby sits in the bathroom with me and I stop and give her cuddles/pats because it's "our" time without Millie butting in! She's a different/happier girl when it's just us :) We've always spent that time together in the morning since I've had her.

Good to hear I'm not alone . . . yes, I say excuse me (or 'scoozie') and 'sorry' as well. How can you accidentally step on a dog and not apologize.

Not a well formed idea, but I sort of think there's a group of people who say 'thank you' to their dogs and end out with polite, if not always obedient, best friends. 'Leadership' can gentle, and a pack doesn't have to be based on dominance, threat, and dominance. I admire Ceasar Milan, etc., but I don't think domineering is the only way to have a good relationship with a dog, and I think they understand and appreciate common courtesy . . . if in a doggy sort of way.

... How can you accidentally step on a dog and not apologize.

i soooo do all the wrong things when i accidently 'land' on one of my dogs OR my poor cat --- it's a fine line between 'nurturing behaviour' and reassuring!

my dogs tho are good at moving when i say 'bibbib'; it's just when i don't see 'em and the worst of it is, is when i find strands of their hair, particularly byron's, on the floor *just there* where i stood on his tail sadh9xd.gif!!!

I have always said please, thank you, and sorry & excuse me to my dogs. They love me unconditionally and I think they deserve respect like anyone else. I have even said sorry to one of their fluffy toys that are around the floor, because I thought I had stepped on someones paw, feel like a bit of a dork afterwards and hope hubby didn't notice otherwise I would never hear the end of it. :D

But at home we say "excuse me" aswell.

I'm glad someone else says 'Excuse me', too.

But I say 'Thank you' to the tibbies with a smile. They're very smiley dogs & respond by smiling back as if to say, 'You're welcome!'