How Do You Choose Which Pup From A Litter To Show

Merrirose

With great difficulty.

Last litter I couldn't choose from two lovely females so I kept them both and I am so pleased I did because I would have chosen the wrong one, the puppy I preferred just didn't have that spark, you know, when on lead simply didn't lift herself up and say " LOOK AT ME " where as her sister does. So it really came down to attitude at the end of the lead but still a very nice puppy.

The other puppy is now in a very special pet, obedience, maybe a show home later depending on training.

Another thing is invite your mentor for afternoon tea and a puppy critique session. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

That is also what I do. Nothing wrong with another point of view.

I dont' think there are any tried and true methods... you can pick the potential but you can't pick the whole package. In saying that, long time breeders seem to know when there is a very special one in the litter, and it always ends up doing a lot of winning.

I have a friend who 'puppy puzzles' my litters plus we do a temperament test at the same time.

Last 2 litters the pick bitches have both won Best Bitch, Res of Breed or Best of Breed from baby puppy class over mature and titled GWP

So far so good :)

There are no tried and true methods, the ability to pick puppies is something that comes with experience. I would recommend that you ask all the experienced breeders you know to look at your litter, you will find that although their opinions may differ, all their comments will be useful. Watch all the puppies running around, preferably in a large area where you can see movement, see which puppies stand out from the others. Stack each puppy on the table and go over it, look at all the dogs and then all the bitches (or vice versa), take notes if you think it will help. Also note which puppies are easy to stack and which puppies wag their tails and seem happy and confident on the table, temperament and attitude are very important in the show ring. If there are any obvious pets they can be removed from the evaluation process at this stage. Remain objective, you may be very fond of the bitch with the cute, loving personality, but if she has faults don't even consider keeping her. Generally you will all agree on two or three pups and these puppies should be run on until a decision can be made. Running on puppies is a vital part of choosing a show/breeding prospect. It's also a good idea to look at as many litters of your breed as possible, every puppy you see will add to your experience and will also give you knowledge of different lines.

Edited by Miranda

Google Pat Hastings Puppy Puzzle and try to get her video and books. She is the master of working out structure and assesses thousands of puppies every year of all breeds, for breeders in the states.

Actually you should understand all this BEFORE you breed or have a really good mentor that can guide you in selecting breeding stock and assessing litters. This is what being a breeder is all about as opposed to just mating two dogs. Our dog chiropractors are also excellent at assessing puppies at 8 weeks for any structural problems.

You also need to consider correct temperament for the breed, correct head type, breed type and finally ears, coat, colour and markings. Then you need to work out the nature of each puppy and what purpose or home will suit it best. Show, agility, obedience or spoilt pet.

The only thing you cannot assess at 8 weeks is eventual size and substance or if you have a breed where the mouth may go off this can also happen as they grow. Other than those points what you have at 8 weeks is what the mature adult will be. They can grow in all sorts of weird ways along the way to maturity but they always end up a mature version of that 8 week old puppy.

Edited by dancinbcs

My last litter, I have a few people look at the litter, but the pick came from a very good friend who is extensive knowedge in the breed. He went over the whole litter, but with the pick it took him about 30seconds to select her LOL. I had him explain his reasons and he went in to a heap of detail - so in short, what he knew in less than a minute was based on his encylopedic knowledge and years in the breed.

So what I am saying is that you find someone who you respect and has a lot of knowledge on how to interpret the standard, who can look for conformation and type, and has had many litters and picks themselves. Then you learn from them ;)

BTW - I can't complain about his pic - she's just hit 6 months, and has 4 group wins under her little belt. Got to be happy with that LOL.

Edited by lappiemum

I've now been to a few puppy parties and it is interesting to have a group of people there at the same time to go over a litter. We tend to have the person who has owned/bred/judges the breed longest to go over each pup and say what they like and don't like about each pup and the rest of us then look at the pup and see if we agree or not over what was said about the pup. I'll be using this method to help pick my next show pup :thumbsup:

Try also Dr. Carmelo L. Battaglia - http://breedingbetterdogs.com

Get his 'Choosing The Best Puppy' dvd.

IMHO - After doing the PH Seminar here in Melbourne I believe he has a much more thorough method of grading and selecting puppies. He also has alot of knowledge and experience in breeding, genetics etc etc his latest book 'Breeding Dogs To Win' is incredible. While the title annoys me everytime I look at it the book content is fantastic - if you are serious about learning then his books are well researched, well written and you will learn alot.

I would love to do his seminars . . . & yes going to put my flame suit on now.

Yes flame suit on! I just bought his books and DVD's and now want him to come out to Australia. :laugh:

I also want Myra Savant-Harris to come out

Yes flame suit on! I just bought his books and DVD's and now want him to come out to Australia. :laugh:

I also want Myra Savant-Harris to come out

Well - he was going to be doing a seminar when the Wei Club had him here to do their Specialty which was April/May this year but it never happened :( .