Vent About Kids Walking Dogs

On our walk today I came accross 3 kids ranging from 10 to 5, They were walking either a amercian staffy or pitbull hard to tell. Shelley went to run up to it till I told her drop she got pretty close to it, I then called her and she came straight back to me. This dog was pulling these 3 kids all over the place,they had no control over the dog. Then they yell out to me to keep my dogs away as there dog bites. I had complete control over my dogs, Yes Shelley did get pretty close to it but listened to me when I told her drop and come.

I know I probably did the wrong thing by leaving my guys offlead, BUt I did have them under control and they listened to what I said. But what makes me angry is the fact they admitted that there dog bites other dogs, If thats the case they should have had a muzzle on the dog. But what else gets me is why the hell did the parents allow 3 young kids walk a dog aggerssive dog and one that they can't control. The only way they stoped it from pulling is 2 of the kids had to basicly sit on the dog.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Happens here too im so sick of it especialy one kid around 11 that walks a cranky Rotty past our place, he is an odd one because sometimes he will pull the kid over to bark and carry on at somthing and other day's he's as sweet as pie :confused:

Kids shouldn't be walking dogs unsupervised but you also shouldn't let your off-lead dog approach another dog that is on-lead.

It's taken a lot of time for me to get my lab to stop getting over-excited when we encounter other dogs on walks, and even now I still need to maintain a certain distance from other dogs if I am to keep him under control. I'd be really shitty if your off-leash dog approached us on a walk, by the time you call him back the damage would be done and my dog would be over-excited and pulling.

The vent works both ways .

I have on more than one occasion had to yell to people with dogs off leash (in a non offleash area)running to mine that there aggressive as it seems to be the only way for them to do something otherwise they seem to not care that there dogs running over isn't a problem .

My dogs aren't nasty but people who decide the leash rules don't apply to them is becoming a big issue these days & ticks me off

Agree with Macka- its not good to have your dog offlead and approach another dog that is on lead. Was this an off lead area?

You say she is under control, but really you shouldn't have let her approach the other dog at all- the people aren't to know you supposedly have control of your dog, especially if you let her run over, of course they are going to think the worst.

I don't think its a good idea to walk a DA dog in an offlead area but ideally, you should be able to, if people control their dogs properly.

At least the kids had the dog on lead, there are two young kids that bring a DA dog to the park off lead and out of control. It is not overtly DA but can become too intense when it plays with another dog which can escalate into a fight or one dog running away in fear or pinned to the ground.

Having said that, some of the older kids that come to our park are much more responsible with their (well behaved) dogs than the adults.

The vent works both ways .

I have on more than one occasion had to yell to people with dogs off leash (in a non offleash area)running to mine that there aggressive as it seems to be the only way for them to do something otherwise they seem to not care that there dogs running over isn't a problem .

My dogs aren't nasty but people who decide the leash rules don't apply to them is becoming a big issue these days & ticks me off

I agree 100% :mad

But what makes me angry is the fact they admitted that there dog bites other dogs, If thats the case they should have had a muzzle on the dog.

No, actually, they should be able to walk their dog without it being approached by other off lead dogs. You may have had your dogs under control but no dog is 100% predictable and you were breaking the law.

However, I do agree with you about young kids walking dogs. Kids should always be supervised when walking dogs, even if they are not aggressive.

Thats the thing this oval you are allowed to have dogs offlead, I was on one side of the oval, the kids were on the other and there dog dragged them htowards where I was with my dogs. Sheley noticed it coming before I had a chance to grab the lead SHelley run towards it she got about a meter to it, I yelled drop which she did straight away, then I called her to me which she came. I didn't expect that dog to come from one side of the oval to the other.

All I am saying is if they know the dog isn't friendly towards other dogs and bites them,even on lead I reckon it should be muzzled and kids should not be walking it. All I know if Shelley wasn't friendly towards dogs and bites them outside of my yard she would be muzzled. People like this gives the staffys etc a bad reputation.

From now on I think I'm going to re train SHelley when there is another dog she is to come and sit beside me till the dog passes. I will also be holding her collar just to make sure for the safety of my dog. I've seen these kids and the dog before they often let it offlead and the dog doesn't come when called. Shelley normally ingores this dog.

I also saw a child about 8 year old ,walking a rotty down our street.No adults around.When we had our wolfy x i told my 9 year old that she had to weigh more than the dog before she could walk her .That took a few more years.As i keep saying;There should be a law about it.

I agree kids shouldn't be walking a dog unless in complete control or parent around supervising.

i often take my three dogs (rottis) to the reserve with my two children (4 and 3) and we walk around the paths often where other dogs are. all 3 of mine are on lead but normally both children are walking a dog each. the dogs are voice controlled and i command them and the listen and i am beside them anyway and if need be can grab the lead if need be too.

We try and stay away from other dogs though when there. i have had dogs run up to us no owner in site and off lead (it is onlead down there) and i grab all three dogs but if something was to start i would be bloody irate as my dogs are under control as are my kids

Thats the thing this oval you are allowed to have dogs offlead, I was on one side of the oval, the kids were on the other and there dog dragged them htowards where I was with my dogs. Sheley noticed it coming before I had a chance to grab the lead SHelley run towards it she got about a meter to it, I yelled drop which she did straight away, then I called her to me which she came. I didn't expect that dog to come from one side of the oval to the other.

Oh, well if you were in an offlead area that is completely different. The way you wrote your first post it sounded like you were walking your dogs somewhere where they shouldn't be offlead.

In that case, they should have been there at all, supervised or not. Off-lead parks are not the place for aggressive dogs.

I walk my 2 dogs with my kids - 12 an d 9 - and they get to walk the kelpie right next to me after she has had about 15 minutes to calm down. They are constantly scanning for other dogs and they hand the leash straight back to me if they see one. We only walk in onlead areas too. There is no way I would let them walk either dog without me there.

Ugh, I totally agree. A few weeks ago I saw a kid of about 11 years of age walking some sort of oodle (Labrador x Poodle most likely due to how big it was) by himself, and he wasn't even paying attention to what he was doing, he was dawdling and kicking rocks on the path like walking the dog was some sort of chore for him. The dog is pulling the kid along quite enough as it is but when the dog sees my dog, he yanks forwards eagerly, snaps the boy out of his stupor to make him trip up, and in the boy's anger at tripping, he kicks the dog in the ribs! :mad

I yelled at the boy for that, I just couldn't stop myself! His parents should be the ones supervising him and yelling at him for that, not me!

Oh, well if you were in an offlead area that is completely different. The way you wrote your first post it sounded like you were walking your dogs somewhere where they shouldn't be offlead.

In that case, they should have been there at all, supervised or not. Off-lead parks are not the place for aggressive dogs.

Being an off-lead area changes nothing. The kids should not have been in charge of a dog they could not control and even in an offlead area your dog should be under sufficient control to prevent it approaching another dog unless invited. Doesn't matter if it is on or off lead, so both owners were at fault. One metre away is way too close. Offlead areas are not for the exclusive use of offlead dogs. Everyone has a right to use a public park and dog owners have responsibility to keep out of each others way and that of the general public.

Yeah I dislike seeing unsupervised kids walking dogs.

I have a very reactive dog and I was walking her once (onlead along a street) when I came across a young boy of around 11 with a Staffy riding his scooter! I yelled out to him to keep his dog on the other side of the road (at this stage Keira had already started reacting to the other dog) and for some unkown reason he came closer and walked within a couple metres of me all while Keira is carrying on. I couldn't fathom why he wpuld bring his dog closer to her in that state and I was angry as he had completely ignored me. Luckily his dog didn't react to Keira and only pulled towards us a bit but he should never have been walking that dog while riding a scooter as if his dog had of reacted and pulled away from him who knows what would have happened.

MUmtoshelley i think retraining to sit and wait when she sees a dog is best.

I also saw a child about 8 year old ,walking a rotty down our street.No adults around.When we had our wolfy x i told my 9 year old that she had to weigh more than the dog before she could walk her .That took a few more years.As i keep saying;There should be a law about it.

over here in NZ most cities have a law that states that a person MUST be 16 before they are able to walk a dog. breaching that law results in a fine for the parents if they get caught..

A double lead is a good idea if you have a large dog. We used this sometimes so my kids felt like they were walking the dog.I would take both leads if we walked past another dog.

i have done this in the past with my son and my rotti x.. i had his harness on and the lead i held was connected to the harness to give more pulling power for me if i needed it and my son would hold the lead connected to his collar.. now days tho with the fact that i have a Pom he can walk her without any help but i do tend to grab the lead and help him with her in some cases like crossing the road and such

On our walk today I came accross 3 kids ranging from 10 to 5, They were walking either a amercian staffy or pitbull hard to tell. Shelley went to run up to it till I told her drop she got pretty close to it, I then called her and she came straight back to me. This dog was pulling these 3 kids all over the place,they had no control over the dog. Then they yell out to me to keep my dogs away as there dog bites. I had complete control over my dogs, Yes Shelley did get pretty close to it but listened to me when I told her drop and come.

I know I probably did the wrong thing by leaving my guys offlead, BUt I did have them under control and they listened to what I said. But what makes me angry is the fact they admitted that there dog bites other dogs, If thats the case they should have had a muzzle on the dog. But what else gets me is why the hell did the parents allow 3 young kids walk a dog aggerssive dog and one that they can't control. The only way they stoped it from pulling is 2 of the kids had to basicly sit on the dog.

I disagree with DA dogs needing a muzzle to protect the dogs of owners who break the law allowing their dogs to roam off leash. I have that said to me on a couple of occassions when one of mine has cranked up on an unleashed dog and asking them why their dog is off leash in relation to the laws, they have a go at me because mine cranked up suggesting I should muzzle him? Why should I muzzle him, we are on leash minding our own business then an off leash dog runs at us owned by people who can't control their dog off leash and breaking the law, and it's my dog's behaviour than needs addressing putting their dog at risk of getting bitten :confused: Not that I would allow my dog to bite another dog off leash or not, if they abided by the laws or could control their dog these incidents wouldn't happen.

I disagree with DA dogs needing a muzzle to protect the dogs of owners who break the law allowing their dogs to roam off leash. I have that said to me on a couple of occassions when one of mine has cranked up on an unleashed dog and asking them why their dog is off leash in relation to the laws, they have a go at me because mine cranked up suggesting I should muzzle him? Why should I muzzle him, we are on leash minding our own business then an off leash dog runs at us owned by people who can't control their dog off leash and breaking the law, and it's my dog's behaviour than needs addressing putting their dog at risk of getting bitten :confused: Not that I would allow my dog to bite another dog off leash or not, if they abided by the laws or could control their dog these incidents wouldn't happen.

Mumtoshelley was in a legal off leash area.