Dog Hit By A Car,

Sutton

Yesterday i was up at my mums place in goolwa and we were driving at about 8pm,we seen a cocker spaniel running on the road so we stopped. The owners pulled up and hopped out and were trying to catch him,a car was coming so she started to wave i down,it wouldnt slow down! She was almost in front of the car trying to get it to slow down.

So i panic and start flashing them with my high beam,still dont stop.

The car kept coming, didnt slow down and hit the poor dog. I couldnt believe my eyes,i yelled at the car as they went past but they still kept going.

The owners pick him up who was yelping,i run over to help as i was still in the car just trying to call the dog over before this.

She said hes very old,so they rushed him home and hopefully got him to a vet.

I was very very pissed off last night,and i cried a bit too. How could someone do that? What if they hit the woman?

It was a p plater,and in a magna type car i think. If anyone by chance knows them.

I just had to tell someone iam still pretty angry right now. I hope the poor lady and dog are ok.

My god that is shocking!! :cry: I wouldn't be surprised if you are in shock also, having seen it all unfold :(

I once hit a dog - I will never ever forget that day, a little dog just darted out from the front gate of a house and straight in front of me. I slammed on the breaks but it was too late. It all happened so fast, two girls ran out after the dog and saw the whole thing, and were apologising to me while rushing to their dog. Honestly, one of the worst days of my life that I will never be able to get over. This was years ago, and it haunted me for months, the whole 'why didn't you stay at the gym 5 mins longer, why didn't you go down *some other street name*' etc.

How somebody could fail to even slow down in the situation you described is completely beyond me. And not even stop afterwards. I cannot comprehend it.

Really hope the dog is ok :(

I can one worse this. Many years ago someone hit my dog. . . a 1 yr old I had JUST adopted from an animal shelter . . . she ran across the road when I opened the car door. I called her and she came, but these drongos came speeding around the corner and hit her. They did stop. They chewed me out and threatened to sue me cause their precious car got a small dent in its fender. Poor Sprocket got a badly broken hip that had to be pinned, and she couldn't walk for many weeks. Won't mention the vet bill.

Some people!

Guest Willow

Sadly there are unscrupulous people who deliberately try to hit animals. I have heard of drivers who will mount kerbs chasing dogs & cats. :mad

ETA: when I was vet nursing, a client of ours walked in in shock one day, as two minutes previously, a car had mounted the erb, hit her dog while she was walking him on lead, then got back on the road & drove off!!! Fortunately her dog was fine....he was a large solid breed.....some bruising but no serious damage.

Edited by Willow

Oh, that's so sad! I can just imagine how scared the owners were, trying to catch their dog dreading it being hit, and then for the worst to happen and the people to not even care :mad I hope he was ok.

Sadly there are unscrupulous people who deliberately try to hit animals. I have heard of drivers who will mount kerbs chasing dogs & cats. :mad

ETA: when I was vet nursing, a client of ours walked in in shock one day, as two minutes previously, a car had mounted the erb, hit her dog while she was walking him on lead, then got back on the road & drove off!!! Fortunately her dog was fine....he was a large solid breed.....some bruising but no serious damage.

:eek: That's terrifying!! What absolute morons, how cruel... :mad

My mum has only lived there a week and ive been up there once and this happens,im assuming it wasnt a local. Since it was the long weekend and its a busy tourist town it was probably a young drunk idiot. Cant say i would feel bad if he/she crashed their car!

I was still fuming when we got back to my mums house,im shock!

Ive heard stories like the ones here but never thought id experience one first hand.

My puppy was in the car at the time,and i hugged him tight when i got him home. Just to think what if it were my boy. I kept saying sorry to the lady of the hit dog as she was screaming and crying,but there wasnt anything i could do. I felt so bad.

I didnt know of any 24hr vets in the area and they didnt know either. There mum was also living in the area,so maybe they were just there for the weekend too.

It's dissapointing, while at the same time unrealistic, to think that every human being who walks the planet, lacks the same regard for life of any form, than the majority of us in here. :confused::confused:

I can see how it can happen. I grew up on a farm and if a dog didn't earn it's keep, my father would shoot it. :(:(:( I can't tell you how many dogs I grew up with and bonded to, only to have him put a bullet in it's head if it wasn't up to scratch with mustering and yard work) so I can understand that some people may not hold the life of a dog in any kind of high regard. But, those examples are blatantly cruel and sadistic and these people may be the next serial killer we hear of. They say it starts with animals.............. :eek:

OMG this is just awful. Poor dog and owners and you for witnessing it all. Can't believe someone would do that especially when the woman nearly got hit herself. Sigh just sad. Wished that someone got the number plates or something. I hope the dog is ok too. Poor little thing.

So sad :(

Last year I pulled over to the side of the road to pick up a long neck turtle that was shuffling across, it had been raining so it was simply moving to another pond. A car was coming up behind as I pulled over so I pointed and waved so they would see it. They did, and they came from further across the road so that their wheels went straight over it. I was devastated, they were doing >100Ks/hr and the turtle stood no chance. I got back in my car and cried :cry:

I can only hope that Karma does exist.

Unless its changed (which it may have Goolwa is a lot bigger now) the closest emergency vet was over at Victor.

Had someone got enough to report the car best to put the emphasis on that the car nearly hit a PEDESTRIAN. ie the person who was trying to get them to slow down. Its not illegal to hit an animal but it is to knowingly not slow down etc near a person who is on the road. The dog is obviously additional info but drivers have to watch out for pedestrians (think the ad campaign about drunks wandering onthe road).

Last year I pulled over to the side of the road to pick up a long neck turtle that was shuffling across, it had been raining so it was simply moving to another pond. A car was coming up behind as I pulled over so I pointed and waved so they would see it. They did, and they came from further across the road so that their wheels went straight over it. I was devastated, they were doing >100Ks/hr and the turtle stood no chance. I got back in my car and cried :cry:

wtf!? what is wrong with people!?

Some humans are a complete waste of oxygen. :mad:

What a traumatic experience...really hope the dog is now recovering okay.

Having a "P" plate stuck on their bonnet sometimes doesn't mean jack to idiotic fresh drivers out there.

Oh no, this just makes me so angry and upset. Poor, poor little guy.

All these stories are just horrible.

There are some real ass#%s out there. I was following a car in on a country road when a dog ran out from house. They could off slowed down but they speed up and hit it deliberatly and kept going. The dog was thrown into a power pole. I stopped and dog was dying. I went into house and notified owners. They said Yeah we be out in a moment. :eek: I went back out and sat with dog while it died and they still didnt come out. Sometimes you have to wonder about the mentality of some.......

There are some real ass#%s out there. I was following a car in on a country road when a dog ran out from house. They could off slowed down but they speed up and hit it deliberatly and kept going. The dog was thrown into a power pole. I stopped and dog was dying. I went into house and notified owners. They said Yeah we be out in a moment. :eek: I went back out and sat with dog while it died and they still didnt come out. Sometimes you have to wonder about the mentality of some.......

:cry: :cry: :cry: thats heart breaking