The Pitfalls Of Having Smart Dogs.

Ker

Ahh yes smart dogs are a menace. Sienna has perfect the art of distraction to work in her favor. Our house is set up so that the lounge room is furthest room from the front door, we rely on the dogs to let us know when someone is here (we live rurally on a property). I sit down to a lovely dinner and Sienna goes running to the door barking and indicating that someone is here, getting all the other dogs involved on the way. I get up to see who is at the door and come back to Sienna licking my plate clean :eek:

She will do it other times as well, if Flute is getting some one on one cuddles, Sienna will do the bark run to the door thing or pick up a toy and throw it about a bit, bingo Flute jumps up to get involved and Sienna steals the cuddles. Sienna is also a dobber, anytime any of the others is doing something they shouldn't Sen will come and tell us, we are not sure if its to get the other party in trouble or assure us of her innocence!

Funniest thing i have ever seen though was from my old Foxie X Banjo when i was a kid. My stepdad a Border Collie (Storm) who had ear troubles, Storm hated the drops though and would hit the deck and crawl for the door. Storm jumps off the couch one day, directly onto Banjo. Banjo has a bit of a snarl, jumps up and dissapears into the study, climbs up onto the chair, then the table and then the bookshelves, grabs Storms drops and brings them out to give to my dad! Id never have believed it if i hadn't seen it.

I have found a variety of strange things in my bed, but have yet to find an Orange :rofl:

Edited by Dust Angel

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Latte, my pup has this most annoying toy that she absolutely is obsessed with. Just the right amount of annoying squeak for an adventurous pup. One afternoon she was playing with it for hours. Flash the smart coolie must have had enough, he walked over to the toy, picked it up, took it back to the couch and laid his paw over it and went back to sleep. Sin binned the toy :laugh: Latte was absolutely shocked and kept running from me to one of my other dogs for help :laugh:

Oranges are better than open bottles of Coca Cola which have been stolen off the bench. I may or may not know this from experience.

:rofl::rofl::rofl: to the oranges, coke and tomato sauce! :eek:

:rofl: gotta love the smart ones :)

i taught raz to close the pantry door :rolleyes: now ill often be bent over getting something that is hard to reach and get banged in the head cause raz wants a treat so decides to close the door on me :rolleyes: :laugh:

i love the oranges in the bed...thats clever

My very first wolfhound was either a genius or idiot savant. He could open the microwve with his nose and steal defrosting meat. He could turn touch lights on and off all night. But he couldn't walk through a door without hitting the side.

He could also hide half a kilo of bacon in his mouth without a bulge. God, I miss him.

Oranges are better than open bottles of Coca Cola which have been stolen off the bench. I may or may not know this from experience.

:laugh:

We've had a sealed bottle of Mountain Dew taken off the bench. It was hidden away somewhere and later unsealed on the bedroom carpet while we were sound asleep. A whole house of floorboards to mess up and it had to be eaten in the one carpeted room. Took me a while to figure out why my feet felt sticky the next morning.

We've had a sealed bottle of Mountain Dew taken off the bench. It was hidden away somewhere and later unsealed on the bedroom carpet while we were sound asleep. A whole house of floorboards to mess up and it had to be eaten in the one carpeted room. Took me a while to figure out why my feet felt sticky the next morning.

Oh ours was sealed too. Ours was actually a pack of 12 mini bottles, all of which were scattered around the house. Most completely empty by the time I got home :p

Someone has trained me to get up and walk somebody by opening my wardrobe and getting ALL of my shoes and gradually piling them up on the bed, sometimes on my head :laugh:

She used to get all the shoes left lying around (considerable amount!) we tried to be more vigilant in putting shoes away... Did not work.

She also opens bathroom doors which is a bit of a rude shock. She has jumped into the bath and shower with me before too :rofl:

My old dog used to be able to get out of her crate- no ones knows how because it would always be perfectly collapsed and folded up (wire crate too!)and she would be sitting happily on the couch or something more befitting her status as Princess :laugh:

I'm currently dealing with the young one who has just learnt that she can open the baby gate (from both sides!) so that she can get into the laundry where the cats food is sitting!!! Trying to work out a new way of locking the gate (she is definitely going through not over!).

Oh ours was sealed too. Ours was actually a pack of 12 mini bottles, all of which were scattered around the house. Most completely empty by the time I got home :p

:rofl: Bet that was fun to clean. The sugar rush from the first bottle probably gave her the energy to keep going on the rest!

Reminds me of a field trip in Mexico where our attempts to cool some beers in a small spring fell flat when a bear found them, pulled them all out, punctured the cans and drank half the beer. Fortunately we did not meet said bear. They are notorious for wreaking havoc through sheer curiosity. A curious bear managed to pull the plug on a reservoir of a couple of thousand litres of water, flooding a small portion of the property and setting the owners back months in water accumulation. Met one property manager who was forever grumbling about bears that get into the satellite on a remote hilltop and pull the battery out and roll it down the hill, causing everyone to lose internet and phone access until he could drive out there to replace it. It was pointed out to us that if we kept so much as a tube of toothpaste or some lip gloss in our tents, there was a good chance the bears would come in looking for them. :eek:

I love the story of the oranges. :laugh:

During the day when we're at work, our two have the run of the yard and also access to the kitchen via a dog door - only the kitchen though. We put their dog beds in the kitchen. The other day when we got home, we found ourselves being met at the front door by two very happy dogs who had apparently figured out how to open the kitchen door and had free rein of the house for the day :eek:

A quick check confirmed that they had been well-behaved with no damage or messes - they hadn't even jumped up on the bed or sofa. The only thing out of the ordinary was that Hoover had decided to drag his dog bed mattress under my desk. Then he had run to the bedroom, retrieved Orca (his night-time soft toy) from on TOP of his crate and then brought it back to the mattress so that he could curl up there. Here is proof and the culprit.

redecoration.jpg

Edited by koalathebear

Hmmmm well all the dog toys are currently outside in the rain (Lapphunds) and I have spent all morning looking for the collection of stones that someone has stashed SOMEWHERE in the house (kelpies).

Why wont the kelpies bring in the toys and stash them instead????