The Pitfalls Of Having Smart Dogs.

Ker

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When Dusty was about 8 months old, I took her interstate to stay at my sons house and also enter her in some dog shows. My son didn't have any pets and after a day or so I realized I'd forgotten to pack some dog toys for her, so I went to the $2 shop and bought a bagful.

I gave her about 8 toys...... Soft toys, rubber squeaky toys, rope tugs etc. She picked them up on at a time and took them all over the house and carefully placed them behind curtains, under cushions, under a bed, behind doors etc, til they were all gone. Then she came and sat at my feet.

After about 10 mins she went and got each toy one at a time, and brought them back with her bum wiggling excitedly from her "find". She made up her own "treasure hunt".

Benson does the bark at the door to distract the other dogs from their dinner so he can clean up. They fall for it every time!

Edited by GayleK

Well, I bought some plastic doorstoppers to shove under the door yesterday. That worked well. Not. Miss Smarty pants STILL managed to get the door open. Then the lappie chewed all 4 of the doorstoppers. Back to square one.

Nothing in my bed last night though. No oranges, no apples. Nothing. I'm a bit disappointed!

:rofl:

sorry...... but it is deliciously funny!

how thoughtful of your dogs.... oranges for a mid night snack...or some lovely balls to play with if you by chance have the urge in the middle of the night!! lol :rofl:

This story has brightened my day i really needed that giggle :rofl::thumbsup:

Well, I bought some plastic doorstoppers to shove under the door yesterday. That worked well. Not. Miss Smarty pants STILL managed to get the door open. Then the lappie chewed all 4 of the doorstoppers. Back to square one.

Nothing in my bed last night though. No oranges, no apples. Nothing. I'm a bit disappointed!

hehehe, i'd be dissapointed too... no nice surprises!! :rofl:

My 12 moth old rr and 12 yr old rr work as a team to let each other in and out of the house!! It is quite funny to watch them in action. the disaster comes if we haven't shut the pantry door properly, when you go out, and they get in there.... icing sugar was fun to clean up off old floor boards, so was the cous cous, and the garbage spread from one end to the other!!! But all fixable!! :thumbsup:

Hey Ker-

They were under your covers for a couple of reasons. First and foremost, Lappies have treasure. Its a breed trait I'm afraid, and they will steal your stuff and hide it away. There's some things they've stolen that I've never found again.

The thing to understand in this case is that your oranges are actually Lappie treasure. I can tell you now, to a Lappie the oranges are bright balls. In Lappieworld, they would have squeekers inside and lots of stuffing - not taste like oranges LOL

So, now this is understood, why were they under your covers? Well, a sensible Lappie knows that he/she need to hide the treasure from other theiving dogs who will do anything to get that treasure. Your bed was a great spot, because its up high (so you can see the thieves coming) AND its a comfy warm spot to later eat/gut your treasure.

So when you look at it like that, it kind of makes sense (in Lappieworld). Oh, and they know that you (the big hairless lappie with funny nose and no ears) won't like their treasure, so its safe. Brillant.

To illustrate, last night I went to bed and found two old bones and a rock under my pillow, compliments of one of my lot (pretty sure it was Rubster). I can tell you now, there was no way I wanted that treasure. Unfortunately for said treasure it was dumped in the bin, but at least no *other* Lappies got it!

Edited by lappiemum

Such funny stories. :laugh:

April my 1st border collie used to open the bathroom door if she was in there with me, using the rubber stopper on the back of the door. Tilba has taught herself to open the back screen door by standing on her hind legs & pulling down on the handle. I had a 2nd hand baby gate when she was a pup. It only stopped her for a few weeks until she learned if she pushed on it with force it would open, so I ended up tying it. Bit of a nuisance though.

All those stories of dogs & their toys reminded me of a youtube vid I once saw of a doberman in the US that would gather all his/her soft toys & put them in groups of colour, size, shape etc.

Tried to find the link but it seems to have disappeared.

My dogs must be born-again Lappies then because whenever I feed them chicken necks, I have to run around and close the bedroom doors, otherwise someone is sure to find a surprise or two under their pillow.

Hey Ker-

They were under your covers for a couple of reasons. First and foremost, Lappies have treasure. Its a breed trait I'm afraid, and they will steal your stuff and hide it away. There's some things they've stolen that I've never found again.

The thing to understand in this case is that your oranges are actually Lappie treasure. I can tell you now, to a Lappie the oranges are bright balls. In Lappieworld, they would have squeekers inside and lots of stuffing - not taste like oranges LOL

So, now this is understood, why were they under your covers? Well, a sensible Lappie knows that he/she need to hide the treasure from other theiving dogs who will do anything to get that treasure. Your bed was a great spot, because its up high (so you can see the thieves coming) AND its a comfy warm spot to later eat/gut your treasure.

So when you look at it like that, it kind of makes sense (in Lappieworld). Oh, and they know that you (the big hairless lappie with funny nose and no ears) won't like their treasure, so its safe. Brillant.

To illustrate, last night I went to bed and found two old bones and a rock under my pillow, compliments of one of my lot (pretty sure it was Rubster). I can tell you now, there was no way I wanted that treasure. Unfortunately for said treasure it was dumped in the bin, but at least no *other* Lappies got it!

So when I refer to Tarja and her "treasures" I'm not the only one? :laugh:

Tarja thinks that oranges, apples, lemons and potatoes are all treasures, not for eating but to be tossed, carried around and shown off before stashing in her crate. She also has a doorstop obsession, to the point that some friends whose house she visits regularly awarded her her own doorstop so she would stop hunting and collecting theirs. And socks. She's forever bringing me socks, usally smelly ones that my housemate has left lying about somewhere he shouldn't.

She always looks so proud of herself when she's found a treasure :rofl:

My dogs must be born-again Lappies then because whenever I feed them chicken necks, I have to run around and close the bedroom doors, otherwise someone is sure to find a surprise or two under their pillow.

In my house, that's the job of the Ragdoll. Anything he can pick up and carry from his bowl will find its way onto my bedroom floor. He's a bit strange :laugh:

We joke that Kivi collects things for the pixies. Some of the things he collects are pixie artefacts. He is obsessed with marbles and anything else that looks like a tiny baby ball. He spent 30 minutes one day staring longingly at my Malteesers and making a move on them every few minutes. Tiny balls are carefully collected and lovingly nuzzled, mouthed, and cuddled against his fur. This is because they are pixie eggs and as a friend to the pixies it his responsibility to look after them. Berries, cherry tomatoes, and any other small, round piece of food is to be carted around until he gets the chance to give it to the pixies, who apparently only eat spherical food and there is currently a famine in pixieland. Every strange thing he does can be attributed to something the pixies told him. He does a lot of strange things. :laugh: One day we realised that what he thinks are pixies are actually slaters. Our dogs are much more fun when we filter them through our twisted imaginations.

Hey Ker-

So when I refer to Tarja and her "treasures" I'm not the only one? :laugh:

Tarja thinks that oranges, apples, lemons and potatoes are all treasures, not for eating but to be tossed, carried around and shown off before stashing in her crate. She also has a doorstop obsession, to the point that some friends whose house she visits regularly awarded her her own doorstop so she would stop hunting and collecting theirs.

And socks. She's forever bringing me socks, usally smelly ones that my housemate has left lying about somewhere he shouldn't.

Shae has an obsession with dirty socks. Each night before she settles for bed (she sleeps in our room), she rifles through the pile of dirty clothes on the ensuite floor, chooses a sock and takes it to bed with her. Usually the sock belongs to my husband and she lies with it between her paws and rests her head on it. It's so cute but honestly, I don't know how she breathes!

Really Good luck with the doorstoppers. Honestly, really good luck. :rofl: (Laughing so hard I am struggling to breath!!)

Demi is either left in a house that has NOTHING on the benches (and that includes the 1.5m high TV cabinet)- and I really mean nothing. Or she is left in a crate that has the ends cabletied!!!

Yup she believes everything on the benches belongs on the floor and has worked out how to open the solid ends of the crate to escape.......

Then there is nothing more joyous than finding a half chewed rawhide bone at the end of your bed. I have never seen her go under the covers but they do end up at feet level :laugh: And when you squeal she comes to see what is wrong and pats you on the head, followed by a joyous and happy reunion with her bone leaving her to frolic off with it while I recover from the fright!

I Lufs Demi sooooo much :)

Ok, so Snik isn't actually pretty but dumb, but is an idiot savant? Oh great!

I think I better go apologise to the dog and thank her for the treasure :rolleyes:

I cannot figure out if my dog is really smart or really stupid.

She knows sit, but won't do it when I ask - for her to get out the back door.

But if she's busting to get out to explode, she will sit at the back door and start quietly with the talking and barking gradually getting louder and L O U D E R until I let her out. And I usually let her out at the wooo oooh oooh stage. And she usually explodes somewhere down the back. Smart dog.

But she has yet to connect her need to explode with that bad sea creature she ate at the beach that morning. Stupid dog.

I taught one of our dogs to ring a Tell Bell when he wants to go out.

Tonight he added his own twist to the trick. I was on the phone which was plugged in charging when I heard him dinging away. I couldn't immediately respond to Lord Furball's wish so he took matters into his own paws. Next thing I know, he's sitting next to me with the bell in his mouth! He had a look on him as if to say, "excuse me, did you not hear me ringing? Can you hear me now?".

My dog's response to me ignoring her because I've been mesmerised by the computer is to put both her paws on my shoulder and bark in my ear.

Never fails to get my attention. Doesn't always get her squirrel dude refilled, but I will let her outside.

She also comes and pats me on the head when I'm in bed snoozing... she's not too gentle about it either. I really should do something about claw trimming.

Tarja thinks that oranges, apples, lemons and potatoes are all treasures, not for eating but to be tossed, carried around and shown off before stashing in her crate. She also has a doorstop obsession, to the point that some friends whose house she visits regularly awarded her her own doorstop so she would stop hunting and collecting theirs.

And socks. She's forever bringing me socks, usally smelly ones that my housemate has left lying about somewhere he shouldn't.

Shae has an obsession with dirty socks. Each night before she settles for bed (she sleeps in our room), she rifles through the pile of dirty clothes on the ensuite floor, chooses a sock and takes it to bed with her. Usually the sock belongs to my husband and she lies with it between her paws and rests her head on it. It's so cute but honestly, I don't know how she breathes!

I caught Tarja only 10 minutes ago very slowly and quietly attempting to sneak the dirty jeans I wore to a show on Monday out of the washing basket and into her crate. She amuses me :)