Another 'what Lens' Thread

I've been having fun with my 50mm recently, but have felt a lot of the time I could do with something wider, especially as I've been practicing on dogs in the 'reactive rover' class I go to, which means it has been restricted to back yards due to the dogs problems with other dogs in more open spaces.

So am thinking along the lines of a 24-70mm, or 17-50mm type range. I don't mind if it overlaps the 50mm a bit, and could even stretch the budget to my very first L lens :thumbsup: However I am also open to the likes of Sigma and Tamron, but I am looking for a fast lens with really nice optical quality :)

Let me know what you have in this range and how you find it for dog photography.

Samples welcome :)

Cheers :D

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't do dog photography (not even close...) but I do have the Nikon 24-70 f2.8. GREAT lens. I'll assume the Canon one is good too :)

Note: I use it on a full-frame. If you have a cropped sensor a 24-70mm will yield a different focal length for you...

Snook that those are beautiful photos :thumbsup: Especially love the composition of the first.

Edited by Stutterfly

The 24-70 L is a magical combo with the 7D - I love it!! It's not called the brick for nothing though!! It's a heavy lens, but you get used to it!! I don't use it at 24mm very much because of the distortion you can get.. If I remember I'll come back and post a pic with the 24-70 teamed with the 7d.

Another lens that's worth a mention is the 17-55 IS.. While it doesn't have the red ring, people rave about this lens on crop bodies.. It could be better for you if you are in cramped spaces?

The reason I also went with the 7d vs 5d II was because of the shutter speed and focusing system. Will probably add the 5d iii when it comes along!

The 24-70 L is a magical combo with the 7D - I love it!! It's not called the brick for nothing though!! It's a heavy lens, but you get used to it!! I don't use it at 24mm very much because of the distortion you can get.. If I remember I'll come back and post a pic with the 24-70 teamed with the 7d.

Another lens that's worth a mention is the 17-55 IS.. While it doesn't have the red ring, people rave about this lens on crop bodies.. It could be better for you if you are in cramped spaces?

The reason I also went with the 7d vs 5d II was because of the shutter speed and focusing system. Will probably add the 5d iii when it comes along!

Have you ever tried correcting this in DPP? I have a 17-85 and tried the correction out, it was pretty good. Then again sometimes you can use that distortion to great effect. Clicking Mad was brilliant with it. She doesn't seem to post much here now. :(

Canon's 17-55 or Sigma's 17-50 would be my two votes.

The Brick (Canon's 24-70) is a good lens when you get one that works, but frankly for the extra cash it costs AND the lack of the wider focal length on a crop it's not even a contender.

The 17-55 is my workhorse and there's nothing it won't do for me. One of the best expenditures I've made.

Basically you can't go wrong with any of those three - it comes down to personal preference and if you can live without the extra wideness. I wouldn't be without it, myself.

OT but how do you find the 7D? That's what I'm looking at upgrading to soon. I was originally going to go with the 5D II but after a lot of reading think I'll wait for the 5D III to come out. Plus, I think the 7D is probably better for dog photography with the shutter speed and number of focal points?

Love it :D I upgraded from a 350D and enjoy the extra features and the higher iso capabilities.

Thanks ange, the 24-70 is one I'm considering, but wonder if a new version isn't far off as it's been out for a good few years now, mind you there is always something 'newer' round the corner :laugh:

The 17-55 is my workhorse and there's nothing it won't do for me. One of the best expenditures I've made.

Thanks for this suggestion kja, looking at the lens photo archive on POTN it certainly seem pretty nice :D Do you have any issues with the lack of weather sealing with it in the dry dusty environment here?

Any Sigma wide/standard zoom owners out there?

None at all. And I use extensively on the beach, in crazy high winds, climbing dunes, setting it down on my bag in the sand, in the rain, in the crazy humidity - it's fine. I wouldn't submerge it or be in the pouring rain for hours on end but in routine shooting no worries at all.

And I had the Sigma 10-20 and adored it. I currently have long Sigma zoom 70-200 2.8 and it's great, too. My Sigma 30mm 1.4 is dreamy. Sigma does some nice lenses and personally I think if you go looking for bad press, you can find it on any lens/manufacturer. I would not have a problem at all buying another Sigma.

Edited by kja

I got a Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 about a month ago. Its a really nice lens. I was looking at the Canon and Hb said I cant have it yet I have to :eek: save up.

So..... I looked at the Sigma but Tamron comparisons kept popping up in the reviews, Tamrons got really good reviews (some even saying as close as not to notice to the canon and better than Sigma for the money) and are the cheapest of the bunch. Google review on Tamron vs Sigma and its pretty complimentary.

Have you ever tried correcting this in DPP? I have a 17-85 and tried the correction out, it was pretty good. Then again sometimes you can use that distortion to great effect. Clicking Mad was brilliant with it. She doesn't seem to post much here now. :(

no you're right I don't post much, I still hang around sometimes and read though ;)

I have the sigma 10-20mm and love it for the crazy wide-angle, I like the distortion though there is definitely a knack to it ... some most recent examples may give you a better idea

@10mm

5823512143_0b5eeb6c60_z.jpg

5800004772_75b431c8ea_z.jpg

5715335936_ba7c824f4e_z.jpg

5699008822_2aef6829f7_z.jpg

@20mm

5641364495_7d1986616c_z.jpg

I also have the "brick" and don't use it anywhere near as much as I probably should, it's just too heavy for walking to the park trips for my liking ... though I accidently took it to the beach the other week instead of the long lens (I was leaving at 6 in the morning and failed to actually look inside the lens bag before grabbing it *doh* ) ... examples of that ...

@24mm

5852829188_f9c550b3c1_z.jpg

5852828610_dcc13a9d70_z.jpg

5824081746_92c2a10fd2_z.jpg

@50mm

5823525355_57a1672571_z.jpg

@50mm again but obviously cropped

5824066044_7976de8161_z.jpg

CM with that beach pic at 10mm did you have to correct the distortion? I thought it would make the horizon line look bent if you didn't.

no, not sure how to to be honest, but it has been straightened, and I can see a curve to it too.

beach horizons are tricky anyway if you ask me, those wave heights don't make for very straight horizons, I'm not always very strict about it :D