Vic - Special General Meeting

SwaY

Special General Meeting

Monday 27th June, 2011

7.30pm at KCC Park

To appoint Peter Hitchener as Patron of Dogs Victoria.

All members are urged to attend and support this motion as we need a hands on patron with the backing of Channel 9 and the media in general.

Peter Hitchener has been a member of the VCA for over 28 years and will help promote our pure bred dog world.

There is no point having a patron who is also patron of the RSPCA and who will never attend any dog events, this is what we had by having the Governor of Victoria as out patron.

Make sure you come early and bring your membership card.

2.114 Proxies (As amended 14.1.93)

2.114.1 Proxies are expressly precluded at all Special General Meetings of the VCA.

BTW: This could be a very expensive meeting that takes only 5 minutes, for one agenda item.

Advertising, electoral rolls, meeting room, VCA staff attendance, supper-normally provided.

Surely in the interest of members funds, having only had an AGM last month the SGM could have been called for a few months down the track, possibly with additional agenda items.

I would not have thought having a Patron would have been so high on priorities to need a SGM so quickly after an AGM afterall we have waited nearly twelve months in the past for some more important agenda items.

Edited by wayrod

Well they are using their own rooms so no cost....supper, I have never been to a SGM with supper provided especially one that will be so quick. Electoral rolls, I imagine they would just be doing a member print out or hooking a pc into the system to check directly, advertising also minimal internal cost. Largest cost I can see is staff attendance.

2.114 Proxies (As amended 14.1.93)

2.114.1 Proxies are expressly precluded at all Special General Meetings of the VCA.

BTW: This could be a very expensive meeting that takes only 5 minutes, for one agenda item.

Advertising, electoral rolls, meeting room, VCA staff attendance, supper-normally provided.

Surely in the interest of members funds, having only had an AGM last month the SGM could have been called for a few months down the track, possibly with additional agenda items.

I would not have thought having a Patron would have been so high on priorities to need a SGM so quickly after an AGM afterall we have waited nearly twelve months in the past for some more important agenda items.

I don't know about the cost sides of things, BUT if this Patron can be a positive voice for the purebred dogworld, then I say the sooner the better JMHO :)

The meeting may take longer than 5 minutes as some members may not be in favour of changing the Patron from the Governor of Victoria.

As the recommendation for Patron is a recommendation from the Management Committee under their Powers of Management Committee in the Constitution, to not accept the recommendation of Patron could it be seen as a vote of no-confidence in the MC.

It could be an interesting meeting!

The meeting may take longer than 5 minutes as some members may not be in favour of changing the Patron from the Governor of Victoria.

As the recommendation for Patron is a recommendation from the Management Committee under their Powers of Management Committee in the Constitution, to not accept the recommendation of Patron could it be seen as a vote of no-confidence in the MC.

Sorry I don't follow could you please explain, how this could be seen as a vote of no confidence in the MC ???

Sorry I don't follow could you please explain, how this could be seen as a vote of no confidence in the MC ???

Julie, there are always idiots who don't vote on the pros or cons of the motion or proposal itself but who vehemently either decry or support it solely on the basis of who proposed it.

It's called politics...and it's a disgrace IMHO but something we have to live with.

Julie, there are always idiots who don't vote on the pros or cons of the motion or proposal itself but who vehemently either decry or support it solely on the basis of who proposed it.

It's called politics...and it's a disgrace IMHO but something we have to live with.

Hi Thanks for your response and I understand that personalities come into play but I still can not see how this could be a vote of no confidence in the MC comm. Sorry but I must have my blonde wig on today LOL

Edited by Julie R

Hmmmm I'm not explaining it very well.

I don't think anyone here is saying that it WOULD be seen as a vote of no-confidence if defeated but that some people COULD see it that way and they would lobby for it to be defeated for that stupid reason. There are always those who have their own agendas and may attempt to twist it into a sort of de-facto no-confidence vote.

Hopefully if this is attempted, someone else will speak up encouraging attendees to vote simply on the basis of whether they support the Patron being changed to Peter Hitchener or not.

Hmmmm I'm not explaining it very well.

I don't think anyone here is saying that it WOULD be seen as a vote of no-confidence if defeated but that some people COULD see it that way and they would lobby for it to be defeated for that stupid reason. There are always those who have their own agendas and may attempt to twist it into a sort of de-facto no-confidence vote.

Hopefully if this is attempted, someone else will speak up encouraging attendees to vote simply on the basis of whether they support the Patron being changed to Peter Hitchener or not.

Yer well lets hope not, but I think if ever we need a person that is "active" and has access to the media or can help in any way to put the PURE BRED dog world forwad in a positive light in any shape or form it is NOW. I firmly believe we have all sat back for far too long and taken all the flack and done nothing about it, we have been our own worse enemy and we are our own BEST kept secret, we should be out there telling everyone of the thousands and thousands of dollars that we have all contributed to canine research over the years not only have these tests help the health of pure bred dogs, but some of the tests have been able to assist humans, BUT who do we tell

???NO ONE so therefore they attack us. There comes a time when you have to rely on others to help and I believe the time is NOW, and I can not see where the office of the Governor General is going to be able to help us, yes it is fine and sounds great to say that DOGS Vic Patron is the "office of the Governor General" but really when all is said and done what can the office of the General Governor really do for us at this point in time when we have it seems everyone wishing to attack us from all angles?

Edited by Julie R

What time was the meeting? Do we know the outcome as yet??

Fabulous outcome, the turn up was great, standing room only, only one person spoke other than the mover and seconder it then went to the vote, and all bar 2 members voted in favour of Peter Hitchener being Patron of D/V. The meeting was all over in less than 10 minutes max. :0))