Greyhound Breed Standards And Judging Criteria

Blknwhte

Hi there,

After a few people have suggested I should enter one of my greys in a show, I have done it. I figure, it will be good fun for both me and my little girl.

Has anyone got any information that I could read that could help me please? It will be my first show ever and I don't have any "show" experience so I would be really grateful for any tips/pointers. :confused:

What do the judges look for?

What will I be required to do?

How can I best prepare my dog?

etc etc

Thanks in advance! :)

have a good read here:

showring FAQ

will give you lots of info.

Make sure your girl is freshly bathed and well groomed, no dead hair. Make sure her nails are clipped short. Teeth clean. You'll need a show lead as well. When and where is your first show, there may be Doler's going who can help. If you can get to a show handling class or two beforehand that would be helpful. You will need to stack (stand) your dog and follow the judge's instuctions. He might want you to go out and back or do a triangle or a circle.

Tell the steward and the judge this is your first time, they will be very helpful.

And remember this is a hobby to have fun with, so take a deep breath and just enjoy being out there with your dog.

Hi there,

After a few people have suggested I should enter one of my greys in a show, I have done it. I figure, it will be good fun for both me and my little girl.

Has anyone got any information that I could read that could help me please? It will be my first show ever and I don't have any "show" experience so I would be really grateful for any tips/pointers. :confused:

What do the judges look for?

What will I be required to do?

How can I best prepare my dog?

etc etc

Thanks in advance! :)

I would love to help you Blknwhite but I dont show often at the moment(my next show maybe September or October) and I have no idea where you are in Qld.

I have shown my ex racer with great success.(Have been showing for years and love helping newbies)

Make sure you check that your show chq has been cashed before the show.So you know the entry has been received. I showed my boy with a soft wide leather collar. Judges are looking for a dog which best conforms to the standard for each individual breed. Of course no dog is perfect.

Rebanne has posted a good link so follow through and read it.

I am taking that you have a puppy??.

Shows in Qld are generally judged in alphabetical order(some shows are different) so I would advise that you get there before judging is scheduled to start.

Thank you everyone!!!

I didn't expect so many replies so quickly!

You have all helped so thank you.

I do have one slight problem.... whilst chewing a bone, both her upper and lower canine teeth have fallen out on one side!!! :cry: I know I can't do anything about it. Will she lose a lot of points from this..?

Bullbreedlover - she is 18 months old. I am in Brisbane. I received the invoice and confirmation notice on Friday :thumbsup: I am just showing her in the EKKA sweepstakes (no other shows).

Rebanne - I will practice in the yard with her doing circles, triangles etc. She is going to looooooove the extra attention!

:thanks:

Edited by Blknwhte

The greyhound stakes arent as full on usually as the all breeds show.

As long as you have her coat looking nice and have a nice clean possibly new lead and collar set.

You can possibly message Greytmate and ask her about any suggestions as she has sone the show before with the GAP dogs.

I havent done the GRA stakes for years but a friend won it last year with one of his racers.