Whelping Boxes

Allerzeit

Well, fingers crossed we are having our first litter in 5 years at the end of next month :eek::scared::laugh:

We didn't bring our old whelping box with us when we moved from Victoria, so we need to make a brand spanking new one - which is great because we get to make modifications to improve on what we used to have :thumbsup:

I'm on the lookout for ideas, and thought I would ask the DOL breeders brain trust what they have :) So, please tell me - what do you love about your whelping box, what would you change? Photos would be great too, if you want to show your whelping box off (and if those photos happen to include cute puppies, well I'm sure we could all live with that :laugh: )

here is mine

IMG_2383.jpg

it's huge - i have a weimaraner and this is rediculously big, but i do like the fact that once they get into the walking stage the box is a great size for them for a few extra weeks.

last week I removed the front panel and reversed it and screwed it back in and it's worked really well.

I also like the fact that it has no bottom so you just build up what you need underneath and it keeps the bedding in place.

Edited by SparkyTansy

I have attached a pic of my whelping box. My partner made this for me. Unfortunetly I did not take a pic of the whole things so you cannot see the front.

The front panel was half the height of the walls so mum could get in and out. We could add the other half of the panel if needed (never did though). When the puppies got bigger and more mobile I attached a pen to the box.

It has no floor - I brought some cheap lino and then lined it with paper with vet bed over the top.

I will add a few more replies with some more pics.

I was really happy with this. Nothing I would change.

post-38246-0-26485100-1308631774_thumb.jpg

You can see the pig rails are a ledge, so the puppies could safely lay under. When they were older they would stand on the rail. If you go with ledges remember to take this into account when you decide the wall height!!

post-38246-0-40715300-1308632372_thumb.jpg

Edited by buddy1

I went to Bunnings and bought a couple of sheets of chipboard with the white stuff on it, then cut them into 4 equal sizes and I screwed it all together with brackets. Also cut out a door area and hinged it. No floor, it sits on some cheap lino from a $2 shop and a couple of tarps.

post-3047-0-20520900-1308633322_thumb.jpg

Love it! :thumbsup: You have ledges for pig rails, which is something I want to do this time instead of having overlapping poles for pups to get stuck in when they start crawling around.

I found this one looking online, which looks a bit similar to yours - and it's the plan of choice at the moment : http://www.mcemn.com...helpingBox.html

Allerzeit this is the same design i used :) only thing we didn't do is the seat/ledges in the corners.

Mine is exactly the same design as the photo of Sparky Tansy.

I would never again have a whelping box with a floor built in.

I find the flat whelping rail attached to box stops the pups when older getting their head caught.

I find if you just use round rails the pups can get their head caught between the rail and the box.

I find the flat whelping rail attached to box stops the pups when older getting their head caught.

I find if you just use round rails the pups can get their head caught between the rail and the box.

Yep, that's exactly why I want ledges this time instead of round poles.

Why do you prefer no bottom on the box? Still tossing up on this one, but only because we've always had bottoms in our boxes so I'm trying to get my head around why it's better to not have one :)

Very simple "proven" design here.

All materials from any hardware store.

Easy to clean.

High sides prevent escapees!

I built this one years ago and it has done a great job and will do for many years. I love it.

It has done a number of litters... photo taken this week.

post-14146-0-46395900-1308650137_thumb.jpg

No bottoms in the box for me because my bitches usually scratch all their bedding.

I find if I place the whelping box on top of the bedding, the actual weight of box holds the bedding down.

I usually put down something soft then then vet bed on top of that and the bitches usually find it to hard to scratch up the bedding especially if you have vet bed with the stiff backing and then that makes it so bl@@dy hart to wash, but if you have a pressure spray it deals with vet a real treat.

Those with no bottoms, how do you go with a heating pad in the box etc?

I still use a heat mat as usual.

I much prefer a heat lamp as it heats the air the puppy breathes in, plus it warms the puppy.

Those with no bottoms, how do you go with a heating pad in the box etc?

It's easier to have a pad in the box as the cord comes straight out underneath it. It is easy to cut a notch for the cord.

The best heat pad I have ever used was a heat pad from a water bed and what's more it has a heat control.

Best of all is a heat lamp positioned over one corner of the box and then the bitch will move in and out of the rays depending on what heat she requires.