Dogs Victoria - Photo Id Now Required For Membership Renewals

wayrod

93 members have voted

1. 1. Should photo ID be a mandatory requirement for Dogs Victoria membership

• Yes
    • No
    • No opinion

Um, what about people who don't have photo ID???

I ask because a friend of mine, due to eyesight problems, years ago stopped driving and didn't bother to renew her license. Her passport is British, for some weird reason a lot of places won't accept that as photo ID.

She found out recently that she has absolutely nothing that will be accepted as photo ID by Optus. Like me she has been a member of KCC, VCA, Dogs Vic for over 25 consecutive years.

What happens to her when she goes to renew her membership?

Proof of ID card

Dear lord, she is already talking about getting her driver's licence again (her doctor will write anything she asks him to :eek: ). As much as I love her, I don't want her on the road in charge of a vehicle again - this move by Dogs Vic will only increase her determination.

You can't blame DV for her stupid behavior nor her shoddy Dr.

Surely it would have been better to identify dogs (via microchip numbers) rather than people as a way to stop dodgy dealings?

It is becoming compulsory to micropchip dogs at time of registration.

Thanks Sway, but that raises a few more questions.

(1) Will Dogs Vic accept the Proof of ID card as photo ID? I showed her that same link ages ago and she told me Optus would only accept Driver's licence or Australian Passport or a verified security photo ID from employer.

(2) Microchip numbers at registration is excellent (voluntary has been happening for a while), what we also need is compulsory microchip numbers of sires and dams on the litter and service forms. Do you know if this is planned for the near future?

I do hang my head in shame - of course it is not Vic Dogs fault if she gets her licence again, I was just venting. It's really Optus' fault!!! :laugh: (sorry couldn't resist :o ).

But I would feel much better if I could see something in writing from Dog Vics to say exactly what forms of photo ID they will accept...

ETA So I have emailed the office to ask exactly which photo ID's are acceptable. Logically, at the very least, any government issued photo ID (eg the Dept of Justice one you linked to, Sway) should be acceptable. Then I should probably double check on that Optus thing...

Edited by RuralPug

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For god’s sake Steve and the rest of you can't you see the reason behind this action !!! you surely can't all be that dull !!!!!!!!! . As far as I can see it is not to get at members who have nothing to hide nor is it to send on info to the taxation dept or whoever else it is that you are hiding from, it is to give credibility and accountability to the members and the pure bred dog world........ DOGS Victoria members ,,,,,, nothing more nothing less and unless you and or your friends have something to hide then none of you have anything to fear.

As so many have said on here, any that disagree with these ideas can only be guilty and have something to hide (I bet they are witches and do not believe in a world carbon economy too). I guess we will know if this plan works if we see a sudden drop off of breeders next year.

If the numbers do not drop off then I am sure ANKC Vic will come up with more ideas to drive off their breeders who must have something to hide. Perhaps they could try requiring breeders to come in to the building each year to pay for membership? Then hang garlic and oleander around the door, which will repel and drive off all evil.

What a terrible state of affairs in the ANKC Vic, good luck with it and do let us know when we can again, if ever, trust the ANKC breeders in Vic.

Yep things are looking up! LOL

All this would have been resolved if years ago the Australia card had been brought in.

I think the protesters have something to hide.

I dont have anything to hide. I sat in a room where high on the agenda were a list of things which would impact greatly on registered breeders and Im concerned that this may be the start of that and that for me outweighs the potential benefit - unless Im given information which tells me that people who tell lies on their applications about who they are and where they live is a major problem which needs addressing.

There is much going on behind the scenes but this is a done deal. Im over it.

I'm not sure what I'd be hiding, I am not a breeder, I show occasionally and every now and then I enter an ANKC sanctioned event. I don't mind providing photo ID but I'm not sure how my 17yo daughter can when she doesn't have any. She does none of the things I do, she's simply the co-owner of 3 of our dogs.

For god's sake Steve and the rest of you can't you see the reason behind this action !!! you surely can't all be that dull !!!!!!!!! . As far as I can see it is not to get at members who have nothing to hide nor is it to send on info to the taxation dept or whoever else it is that you are hiding from, it is to give credibility and accountability to the members and the pure bred dog world........ DOGS Victoria members ,,,,,, nothing more nothing less and unless you and or your friends have something to hide then none of you have anything to fear.

As so many have said on here, any that disagree with these ideas can only be guilty and have something to hide (I bet they are witches and do not believe in a world carbon economy too). I guess we will know if this plan works if we see a sudden drop off of breeders next year.

If the numbers do not drop off then I am sure ANKC Vic will come up with more ideas to drive off their breeders who must have something to hide. Perhaps they could try requiring breeders to come in to the building each year to pay for membership? Then hang garlic and oleander around the door, which will repel and drive off all evil.

What a terrible state of affairs in the ANKC Vic, good luck with it and do let us know when we can again, if ever, trust the ANKC breeders in Vic.

Same old same old - If you're doing the right thing you dont have anything to worry about.

Rather than debate the subject and try to educate us because we are so dull just attack us and accuse us of being dodgey and having something to hide.

Time will tell.

For god's sake Steve and the rest of you can't you see the reason behind this action !!! you surely can't all be that dull !!!!!!!!! . As far as I can see it is not to get at members who have nothing to hide nor is it to send on info to the taxation dept or whoever else it is that you are hiding from, it is to give credibility and accountability to the members and the pure bred dog world........ DOGS Victoria members ,,,,,, nothing more nothing less and unless you and or your friends have something to hide then none of you have anything to fear.

Same old same old - If you're doing the right thing you dont have anything to worry about.

Rather than debate the subject and try to educate us because we are so dull just attack us and accuse us of being dodgey and having something to hide.

Time will tell.

Seems to work in China.

Resistance is futile!

LOL

I'm not sure what I'd be hiding, I am not a breeder, I show occasionally and every now and then I enter an ANKC sanctioned event. I don't mind providing photo ID but I'm not sure how my 17yo daughter can when she doesn't have any. She does none of the things I do, she's simply the co-owner of 3 of our dogs.

A student ID Card - they have photo's on them.

Proof of ID card

I have just been to the DV office and picked up a set of papers for a newly registered litter of puppies - this litter is not mine, however a friend asked me to pick them up for her.

I was NOT asked for ID.

I now have some pedigree papers in my hand that I could sell off, or use on another litter of puppies.

I'm all for bringing in photo ID !

For god’s sake Steve and the rest of you can't you see the reason behind this action !!! you surely can't all be that dull !!!!!!!!! . As far as I can see it is not to get at members who have nothing to hide nor is it to send on info to the taxation dept or whoever else it is that you are hiding from, it is to give credibility and accountability to the members and the pure bred dog world........ DOGS Victoria members ,,,,,, nothing more nothing less and unless you and or your friends have something to hide then none of you have anything to fear.

So at least someone has not lost their sense of humour!

I understand that if you are suspended or want to become a member in another name for some reason. But is DV going to go through all their photos every time a new member photo arrives, to verify it is not the same person?

A student ID Card - they have photo's on them.

Proof of ID card

Sorry I don't know how to link, but you can also get a photo id card called a keypass...www.keypass.com.au

It's more exspensive than the proof of age card, but it also shows your address too (I think the proof of age card just shows your name & DOB ) & it's also recognised all round Australia. :)

I have nothing at all to hide either...but I'm just a little confused how it can work. If the point of it is to weed out all the bad eggs, then these people can just go & get dodgy id's made up anyway, unless you are made to personally go into the office & show your id when you apply or renew your membership(which wouldn't be practical ) or get a photo copy of your id verified by someone like a police officer.

Edited by Baileys mum

I have just been to the DV office and picked up a set of papers for a newly registered litter of puppies - this litter is not mine, however a friend asked me to pick them up for her.

I was NOT asked for ID.

I now have some pedigree papers in my hand that I could sell off, or use on another litter of puppies.

and how is photo ID going to solve anything when you can waltz in and pick up litter registrations that don't belong to you? No ID is going to work while DV allow this sort of thing to happen

back to my witches covern now

Edited by Rebanne

I was NOT asked for ID.

and how is photo ID going to solve anything when you can waltz in and pick up litter registrations that don't belong to you? No ID is going to work while DV allow this sort of thing to happen

Because you will have to show ID to pick them up in the future - well I assume you will, if not it won't be worth it.

I was NOT asked for ID.

Because you will have to show ID to pick them up in the future - well I assume you will, if not it won't be worth it.

well you know where assuming gets people :laugh: New members have had to provide ID for several months now so one would assume DV were trying to tighten things up, catch the odd bad person out etc but then they let anyone front up to the desk and get papers that don't belong to them. No questions asked. Farcical is one word that comes to mind.

I can't see any problem with it, time they at least tried something to tighten up on some 'breeders'. My membership will be due for renewal about 2 months before my licence is so photo will be 10 years old and that'll be better than a new one lol.

• 4 weeks later...

Sounds like a good idea as long as they enforce it.

With Sways situation you would think they would at least refuse to give her the papers as she is not the owner, how is photo ID going to change that? Staff will still do the same thing, it's the same as buying cigarettes from the supermarket, it's the LAW to ask for ID but still only about half the staff actually do it.

And if it is only for setting up an new membership are they going to check your ID for every little thing you ask about with them?

I don't have to show my ID every time I hire a movie.

Edited by Shaar

Sounds like a good idea as long as they enforce it.

Agreed.

With Sways situation you would think they would at least refuse to give her the papers as she is not the owner, how is photo ID going to change that?

I did not say who I was, I just said I was there to pick up papers for XXX - they should have asked for proof to make sure I was the owner of said papers.

You show ID once to prove the details they have on file for you are true and correct.

They are interested in your name/address etc more then your face.

It's harder to forge a licence then it is a postal address.

And if it is only for setting up an new membership are they going to check your ID for every little thing you ask about with them?

It is for new and existing memberships when re-newed.

And yes they should check it every time you ask something in regards to your dogs or membership.

If not I could ring up and ask about your dogs as long as I knew your basic information.

I don't have to show my ID every time I hire a movie.

No, but you have to show your membership card (which you had to show proof of ID to obtain) - this would be the same situation.

Ahh yes I understand now thanks, yes as long as they follow through I can see how it would help the situation for sure.

I'm not in Vic but if it came in here I would have no problem with it.

But how would it work for those who live a long distance from the club? I'm pretty sure the only building here is 2 1/2 hours away from me.

And also, as someone else noted, for dogs under duel memberships? One of mine is co-owned by someone in another state and any pups would possibly be co-owned as well.

Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere and I missed it.

Edited by Shaar