It's Probably Nothing!

tlc

Hi Guys, I'm probably worrying over nothing but thought I'd do a little post here to see if you guys think the same.

Cooper was laying with me on the bed tonight having his usual cuddle and I was giving his tummy a rub when up under his arm pit I felt a lump. The lump is kind of soft and fleshy and not very defined.

When his leg is stretched out it practically disappears. I got him to stand up so I could check the other side to compare and there is definatley a sizable lump on one side. Around the size of a 20c piece.

It didn't seem to bother him at all, I felt around it for ages to try and get an idea of the exact size and to make sure it's not somewhere that a grass seed may have gone in (which would be highly unlikely now as it's winter and we haven't been anywhere where there has been any seeds) but it doesn't feel like that sort of situation.

So I have checked the rest of his whole body over for anything suspicious and I am surprised I haven't felt this lump previously as he is a very smoochy dog and always has daily/nightly cuddles with me. He has no other suspicious lumps and he is in good health, eating fine, toileting fine, etc etc nothing at all out of the ordinary and I am usually pretty quick to notice these things if something is not right. In the past if Cooper has been unwell he takes himself away from the other dogs and just sleeps or goes really quiet. (he was like this when he had what the vet thought was probably bladder crystals) and he gets a kind of glassy look in his eyes, there has been none of that either, in every other way he seems perfectly normal apart from this lump.

At the moment I hate google and I hate myself for googling because all I can come up with is lymphoma. To anyone out there who is going through this with thier own dog, my heart goes out to you. I am praying that is not what's wrong with Cooper and my mind is working over time.

Can anyone give me any other ideas of what it could be? We have an appointment for yearly vacc and check up on the 20th but I will ring the vet first thing Monday morning and see if we can get in, other wise I am going to make myself sick with worry in the mean time.

Thanks for reading and if you have any words wisdom or other wise I'd like to hear them.

Ons had a lump on his side which sounds similar

like you, one minute he didn't seem to have it, the next he did

I rang the vet up who is the closest vet but not my normal vet (she is 100 kms away) who said bring him in in the morning as we may have to operate

I rang my normal vet who said just keep an eye on it don't rush into anything

but within a couple of days it had gone down :confused:

someone told me their rotty got fatty lumps which seem similar

I will say though tLC if my normal vet was closer I would have taken Ons in for a check up immediately so I would take Cooper in for a check up

hope all is well and stop googling all the bad things!

I've stopped googling for the time being, my OH has given me a talking to, he said I'm being silly and it will be nothing. I hope he is right. I'm pretty sure I will be able to get into the vets first thing Moday morning.

Mine has one that suddenly appeared, it is just a fatty lump and is being left unless it gets to a size where it affects movement - her is just behind the elbow but on the rib cage.

Thanks for the wise words, if it wasn't the weekend I would have been at the vets 5 mins after I felt this thing whatever it may be. It is strange though it doesn't feel like a distinctive lump, more like a noticeable thickening under his arm pit. It has no definition and seems more elongated if that makes sense.

Off to the vet when they open but a day or so won't make much difference to sorting it out.

How old is Cooper? Older dogs tend to get a range of 'interesting' lumps that make your heart race when you find them. Most are benign. :)

Thanks Poodlefan, I hope your right! Coop has just turned 5 in May. I had another feel this morning and when I stretch his leg forward the lump seems almost to disappear but it is there deep into his armpit if that makes sense, however when his leg is in a normal position it feels more like a fleshy mass rather than a lump as such. Roll on tomorrow, I will have a few more grey hairs by then! On a brighter note it is my white girl Tullys 4th Birthday today. :)

Yeah, another vote that it is not emergency panic stations, wait until normal business hours and if the vet thinks it waranted they will do a fine needle aspirination to test for baddie cells. The FNA is not a complex procedure, no anaesthesia, basically like a blood test.

Chances are very high it will not be a problem, but getting it checked early means that you have the best chance of fixing it on the off chance that it is, and it is also best for your peace of mind!

Thanks RP, just seen your reply in the other thread.

Appointment made for 9.45. Gonna be the longest hour, I'm already up showered dressed and ready to go!

Very anxiously awaiting the vets phone call, she done a fine needle aspiration and she feels pretty sure it is just a lypoma, fingers crossed she is right!!

Big sigh of relief, the vet is fairly confident that it is just a fatty cyst, so keep an eye on him and it, she said due to the size of it and where it is, it could become a problem if it gets much bigger, but she said other than that they don't even know they have them. I would have thought being in his armpit it may have got sore?? Anyway so glad he will be ok. She agreed with me goggle can be great but it can also make us think the worst! SO glad my boy is ok! Glad I don't have kids I could not handle the stress if something happened to them.

She also said lyphomas can grow the size of footballs. :eek:

Thanks CL and Wendy, it is the most aweful feeling, I was so glad the vet was very understanding, she couldn't check the contents of the biopsy right away as she had another patient but she said I can see how anxious you are I will ring you as soon as I have check it. I must have had that look on my face!I am so relieved!

I remember when Brianna had the lump, what was that in the end? I should remember but I don't memory like a sieve!

keep an eye on him and it, she said due to the size of it and where it is, it could become a problem if it gets much bigger, but she said other than that they don't even know they have them. I would have thought being in his armpit it may have got sore??

I am relieved for you :thumbsup:

My last dog had one under his arm and I was told the same, just to watch it.

It did get fairly big, but I had it removed when he had to go under for a more suspicious looking lump. It never bothered him at all.

You can see it in this pic

th_IMG_4070-3-2.jpg