Breeding Quality Pups Being Sold As 'products'

Zug Zug

OK, without telling you the breed exactly, many of you may recall that I lost my lovely 13 year old boy a few weeks back.

In a fit of nostalgia, I looked at mature dogs of his breed for sale on the Dogzonline website (just looking - as you do).

Followed the link from one of the ads.

They have a 'products' link on their website. Under 'products' they list 'breeding quality pups' that are sold to you with full registration.

Grrrrrrrrrr

Edited by Zug Zug

OK, without telling you the breed exactly, many of you may recall that I love my lovely 13 year old boy a few weeks back.

In a fit of nostalgia, I looked at mature dogs of his breed for sale on the Dogzonline website (just looking - as you do).

Followed the link from one of the ads.

They have a 'products' link on their website. Under 'products' they list 'breeding quality pups' that are sold to you with full registration.

Grrrrrrrrrr

It could be something as simple as a website template being used and an inexperienced site builder.

Understand where you are coming from :(

Annoys me when a breeder refers to the dogs they breed from as 'stock" :mad

Why? They are breeding stock. The term hasn't got any negative connotations for most people knowledgeable about breeding.

Would you prefer to see them referred to as "pets"?

Grrrrrrrrrr

I'm with you, Zug Zug. I hate the way corporate buzz words and phrases from the business world have infiltrated elsewhere - I don't like to see pups described as 'products' either. In recent years the public service has embraced "corporate-speak" and the various types of paperwork produced in the policy areas I worked in were called "products". Well, by everyone except me that is! :D

If I had read it, It would honestly not have occurred to me it may be a website template issue until it was pointed out.

I find the term personally off putting, because I have met a breeder who talked as her dogs as a 'business' and 'products' that had to be 'marketed' in a particular way (and for me that was not a person I would buy a dog off). I guess everybody has their own way of looking at things though.

Edited by gwenneth1

Understand where you are coming from :(

Annoys me when a breeder refers to the dogs they breed from as 'stock" :mad

Why? They are breeding stock. The term hasn't got any negative connotations for most people knowledgeable about breeding.

Would you prefer to see them referred to as "pets"?

Why? Because I find the description/term of dogs used to breed, as stock, personally off putting.

Don't these dogs mean & or have anything else to offer to the breeders than just being stock ?

I say this from a puppy purchasers prespective, which I have been twice, in the last 18 months.

So to the average 'joe blow' puppy purchaser like myself. who wants a pet from a caring breeder/environment &

who doesn't have a whole lot of knowledge on breeding, it does have negative connotations.

So yes, I would prefer "pets" instead of "stock" .

Edited by jakeyjangels

The use of the words product & stock would also put me off very much. I would not deal with anyone who referred to their dogs this way.

Yes I am knowledgeable about breeding & breeding dogs are pets too.

If I wasn't computer savvy & this was a template I would either find out how to change it or not use it.

I am from good irish stock . :) I don't consider the word offensive at all ..

a definition for the context in which it is used here :

the original (as a person, race, or language) from which others derive

another :

[mass noun] [usually with adjective or noun modifier] a person's ancestry or line of descent:her mother was of French stock a breed, variety, or population of an animal or plant.

To me the word stock means good things - brood stock, breeding stock, blood stock, live stock, of good stock. I was thinking today that to some people who arent really used to hearing it in a postive light describing quaility breeding stock it proabably brings to mind stuff on a shelf, ie stock take, stock clearance, overstocked (and all these puppies imported direct from the manufacturer must be sold at never to be repeated low low prices!)

My husband is a farmer and comes from a family of farmers, his dog experiance was limited to the family dog they had as kids. When we were first together I took him to meet a friend of mine who also bred dogs. In conversation he called her a puppy farmer. Everything went quiet and the room bacame a little icy. In his world good farmers work hard to make whatever they breed or grow the absolute best they can, her dogs obviously produced pups and as he had heard it somewhere before thought it was a lovely compliment about the way she kept her dogs and the fat shiny pups she had. Lucky when it was all explained she saw the funny side of it.

Breeding stock, doesn't worry me at all.

As others have said, perhaps the template had a header labelled "products".

Relax, find out the details and get back to here.

Great to see you are vigilant about the terminology regarding dogs, "the price of freedom is eternal vigilance" I hope this is just what it seems, web based pigeon holing, nothing more.

I am not looking for things to be offended by.

I just object to pups of this breed being offered so easily to others fo breeding purposes. Or any breed for that matter.

Fair point about the word 'products'. It could be a template (still offputting IMO but perhaps it is just a website problem), but in combination with the clear offer of pups for breeding purposes...?

It screamed backyard breeding to me. Makes me angry. My dog that died recently came from a pet shop and was very very sick when I got him. The pet shop would not even contribute a cent to his vet bills. I spent way more than his purchase price at the vet keeping him alive. They did say I could bring him back to the shop and they would give me my money back. Said they'd keep him out the back and if he survived, they would sell him. He would certainly have died if I had done that. To them, he really was just a product. He was sick and therefore faulty, so I had a right to a refund of money. I was disgusted!

Edited by Zug Zug

Oops sorry had a computer glitch there...

I was going to say - 13 years later he was a wonderful dog who lived a wonderful life.

But that pet shop treated him like a mere product, and here is someone on DOL doing the same thing.

If they are genuine, why aren't they picky about who gets to breed from their puppies? Breeding is a responsibility. Not a nice puppy extra.

End of rant. Sorry. But it did upset me.