Litters Due In September 2011

Bilbo Baggins

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep definitely keep feeling boobs for any little lumps. Jazz had a pea sized lump in a boob and a raised temp, was given an antibiotic shot and oral abs and even with getting it that early by the next day I could cup my hand over it. If you feel 1 starting to get firm place a pup on to have a good feed.

I smiled at your pics - they are like looking at baby bc faces :)

Wow - so glad I bought a heat lamp, has made a huge impact on how hot Daisy was getting... that luscious fur coat of hers was making her awfully hot, poor girl.

But the lamp is reducing her heat, and the babies are congregating under the lamp when they are full.

Oh, yeah, mastitis... so tired after the last couple of nights it is awesome to have other people to think for me :thumbsup:

Hi Dog Geek

mmm yes the chronic lack of sleep is the 'fun' part of breeding ugh! Check how your girl is going with food & water - Tua wont dring any milk at all only water and only eats chicken mince or chicken wings ( even though I offer her a huge range of options) - so I have stocked up on chicken. Also I make Tua go outside for a wee and stretch atleast twice a day so she gets some circulatiuon and a break - she didnt like leaving the pups much for the first 3 days but staying still with the pups for hours isnt good either. Obviously I change bedding while she is out and I keep and eye on her discharge - I wash her rear end and keep the area clean - my girl is large and after lying down she tends sapurate for days. (another fun part of breeding!)

Other than that - she is a 4 legged milk bar and the pups are thriving :)

Edited by Tapua

Oooh yeah! I had to syringe water for Lola because she really wasn't drinking much on her own and it was affecting her milk supply. I also still had to hand feed her, so make sure you have a keen eye....

I remember that whole first week of being bleary eyed and exhausted.

Daisy has been very good re food and hydration.

Low-salt chicken stock has been her beverage of choice (plain water? for MOI? Ma NON.), she ate a small dinner last night and hoovered a chicken wing this morning.

She has had two voluntary breaks - followed me out after I checked on them - and was screaming with excitement the whole time!!!

It was really funny (once I got over the shock of thinking she was screaming because something was wrong :rolleyes: ) and I was quite happy to join in and so we both went out the back and told the other dogs what a clever girl she was at the top of our lungs :rofl:

She kindly kept her placenta poo until whe was outside... I once again very glad humans don't feel the need to follow canine mode of mothering...

033-1.jpg

025.jpg

034.jpg

Babies arrived last night :thumbsup: ...

We have 4 puppies, 2 boys 2 girls, all blue and all with some sort of face markings. One of the girls also has a black tail butt, this is the first we have ever had :) ... Both Mum and babies are doing very well :) ...

Congratulations, none hiding on the x-ray I see! Can't wait to see piccies! ;)

Thanks EISHUND :)

No thank goodness... Its funny the things you think about in the middle of a dark and stormy night, waiting for your maiden bitch to whelp. isnt it ??? That was exactly what I was wondering about, were there possibly 1 or 2 'hiding' :laugh:

Im still only about 1/2 hooman at the moment, so pics will come in a day or two :thumbsup: ...

Thank you dog geek :) ...

No I think I was talking 'ACD talk', sorry :o ...

A 'tail butt' is a black band of colour, usually around the top, (at the anus end), of their tails. Its perfectly acceptable for them to have these, they just are not permitted as a black patch on the body, (if you show them, it certainly makes no difference to their working ability) :). This little girl has one little patch on the top of her tail, as well as one just about her hip area as well. Im not going to throw the baby out with the bathwater, if she is the best ;) ... There was a very well known breeder/exhibitor in the Canberra area, in the 90's who showed a lovely ACD with a large black 'saddle', and the dog won its fair share of awards as well ;) ... 'A good dog cant be a bad colour', and all that !!!

Hope that clarifies a little bit. It makes perfect sense to me, although being like a zombie, it may not :o ...

Edited by rajacadoo

Babies arrived last night :thumbsup: ...

We have 4 puppies, 2 boys 2 girls, all blue and all with some sort of face markings. One of the girls also has a black tail butt, this is the first we have ever had :) ... Both Mum and babies are doing very well :) ...

13th or 14th???

BB they were born on the 14th :thumbsup: ...

Thanks Verhexen GSD :) ...

All doing well with lovely weight gains on their first day and a half...

Edited by rajacadoo

Hi all,

Can I join in, we have a litter of Cocker Spaniel's due on about the 25th September (our prefix is awaiting their selection from our list)

Our first litter so I am very nervous.

Thanks

Ruth

How very exciting!!!

Good luck with your prefix selection, and hope you are enjoying the process of breeding!