Exercise

Olivebaby

Both mine swim in salt water everyday Olivebaby & I hose them off everyday ( we have hot water outside ) very handy!

I wash them roughly every 2 to 3 weeks but I find it better to dilute the shampoo in a bucket of water then sponge it on

them, then rinse off, then heaps of conditioner, not as drying on their skin.

I hope I am not doing the wrong thing with my girl as I play fetch with her down the beach on the sand :shrug: she loves

to run. I don't do it anywhere else though.

We go for long walks ( 2 hours ) everyday but that is on & off lead through bush & on the beach. We do have 'time-out's' as well, we sit down

for a little rest, then off we go again. Hope that is not over doing it for a 7 month BC, got me worried now. She is still up for a game when

we get home sometimes & I am buggered LOL

Edited by BC Crazy

• 4 weeks later...

On the topic of swimming, at what water temp would you start encouraging you puppy to start swimming? We have a pool with the water temp at about 15 degrees at the moment, and can't wait for warmer months to play in the pool with him.

Ok thanks. Will stop the backyard fun. She does love the water but was hesitant to take her there too much in winter. Lots of cold salty water = lots of shampoos, which I know isn't good for their skin (I do use an oatmeal based shampoo and conditioner)

Any good suggestions for a long leash for recall. Currently have a 10m nylon one which is bulky and annoying and really painful. I would love to take her to the park more but she is not reliable enough yet to be let loose with other dogs around.

A plastic fishing reel with a hand winder attached to it. Attach 50 meters of thin sturdy nylon rope to the reel and knot a metal lead attacher/clasp to the other end. When you call come and have no reaction, you can wind the puppy back in while continuing to call come in an exciting manner; and then praise/treat when they get to you.

hope that helps :)

On the topic of swimming, at what water temp would you start encouraging you puppy to start swimming? We have a pool with the water temp at about 15 degrees at the moment, and can't wait for warmer months to play in the pool with him.

Some vets have hydro therapy pools that you can go to for swimming (as opposed to therapy). The water temp is controlled, it's indoors, the first swim is usually with a staff member who shows you the ropes of their facility. Dogs may be required to wear a buoyancy jacket on their first swim which is supplied by the centre.

We have a 9 month old JRt who goes for 5-7 km walks daily, if he doesnt he would drive us mad!!!. I honestly also think people take exercise rectriction too far, what about all those working dogs whoa re running km's since they were wee yound pups!..

Our dogs walks are not on concrete, its on grass (oh and puddles, he LOVES finding puddles, the muddier the better) and he runs around at his speed, stopping, starting sniffing, he loves it..

You just have to mention the W word and he runs to the door.

I have a 4 moth old cocker spaniel and he runs around like loonie!! And not much I can do about it if I go outside with he he will run as fast as he can around the yard until he is pooped (or so we think ;) ) while he is running he will sometimes trip and go flying only to get up and keep on going but they are puppies they need to burn of that steam or they can drive you nuts!! I now take him for a long 30min walk on the beach that wears him out and better than him zooming in the yard like he does

We have a 9 month old JRt who goes for 5-7 km walks daily, if he doesnt he would drive us mad!!!. I honestly also think people take exercise rectriction too far, what about all those working dogs whoa re running km's since they were wee yound pups!..

Our dogs walks are not on concrete, its on grass (oh and puddles, he LOVES finding puddles, the muddier the better) and he runs around at his speed, stopping, starting sniffing, he loves it..

There is a big difference between a JRT and a lab. Many labs would end up crippled if they ran 5 - 7km as pups - their joints wouldn't handle it.

There is a big difference between a JRT and a lab. Many labs would end up crippled if they ran 5 - 7km as pups - their joints wouldn't handle it.

Ahh ok, see I didnt realise that. Learn a new thing every day :) Thank you! :)

A nine month old lab should be able to handle 5 km imo, although its true, many can't.

I think it is a sad reflection on the breed that at that age they can't handle a modest amount of exercise and many breeders are advising extreme exercise restriction.

Working labradors are doing are reasonable amount of physical work by 9 months.

Edited by aussielover

Imo its much better for a pup to go on a long bushwalk offlead then do exercises like fetch etc with sudden stops, twists and turns. They will stop/ slow downwhen tired

Agree with you on this. They can moderate there own pace as you say. I think that is my girl's favourite thing to do. :)