Holidaying With Dogs

Starkehre

Personally I prefer having a yard as it makes toilet breaks easy, especially at night. Also nice and safe if you just want a game of ball or tug with them. But if there was an enclosed verandah and they can get free access to inside, for a short holiday this wouldn't be an issue at all. Just clip on the leads and away we go for walkies.

I go away with my dogs for mini breaks a couple of times a year and those holidays basically consist of lots and lots of walks in the fresh air, two to four a day irrespective of the weather, and lots and lots of snoozing, reading books and watching dvds. We all love it.

Let me tell you about Rainbow Farm in the Inman Valley, South Australia. We are SA residents and love this place. I have 3 boxers and to find anywhere that will let us take our furkids is difficult. This is a 15 acre property, it does have alpacas, goats, chooks and ducks. The goats will give any dog a run for its money! One of our crew is deaf and this is such a fantasic experience for him. He is on lead most of the time for his own safety. Now when we have tried to go to dog friendly places thay ask the breed of the dog and when I say boxer you can imagine ther response. Yup they are active, clownish and hysterical but we control them. Google Rainbow Farm and chat to Lorraine dog size breed etc is no issue

I prefer a fenced in yard only because Onslow prefers to sit outside in the evenings where the rest of the gang like to hang inside with me watching telly. Onslow comes in and sleeps at night though.

I wouldn't though leave a dog unattended in a strange yard whilst i was away, dogs would come with me.

I am having a short holiday next week with my youngest dog - we are going to Tailwaggers Rainforest Retreat at Coolangatta.

There is self contained cabins (where dogs are allowed inside) with a smallish fully fenced yard. It is located within 77 acres and there is a reasonable sized fully fenced off-leash area as well as a number of walking trails etc.

Having 4 it is hard to find accomodation that allows 4 and dogs allowed inside but they are out there, we have found a couple of good ones. I prefer a fenced yard, the bigger the better but even a patch of grass is better than nothing. Definatley prefer to be able to just open the door and let the dogs out instead of having to leash up the whole lot and go to a toileting area. We have done this in a motel and had to take one at a time and it was raining, so it was a real chore when it came to toileting time, one was a pup at the time so there was more pitstops than normal. :laugh:

One place we stayed had a fenced small yard but all concrete, which was a pain as we still had to take them out to a grassed area to toilet. But it was good to be able to go out onto the veranda and the dogs could come out too as they were still fenced in.

One spot we stayed B&B has a huge yard like big enough to throw a frisbie or use the ball thrower, the dogs had a ball exploring and they were also allowed inside.

We loved Best friends holiday retreat it is the ultimate doggy get away spot. I'd go back there tomorrow and definatley recommend it to anyone who wants a really doggy holiday!

Also just wanted to add if we can't find accomodation that accepts dogs then we don't go. We would prefer to go with the dogs than wtihout as I know I would only spend my whole time worrying that they were ok!

I am having a short holiday next week with my youngest dog - we are going to Tailwaggers Rainforest Retreat at Coolangatta.

There is self contained cabins (where dogs are allowed inside) with a smallish fully fenced yard. It is located within 77 acres and there is a reasonable sized fully fenced off-leash area as well as a number of walking trails etc.

This place looks fantastic, I would love to take my lot there one day! Have fun

Let me tell you about Rainbow Farm in the Inman Valley, South Australia. We are SA residents and love this place. I have 3 boxers and to find anywhere that will let us take our furkids is difficult. This is a 15 acre property, it does have alpacas, goats, chooks and ducks. The goats will give any dog a run for its money! One of our crew is deaf and this is such a fantasic experience for him. He is on lead most of the time for his own safety. Now when we have tried to go to dog friendly places thay ask the breed of the dog and when I say boxer you can imagine ther response. Yup they are active, clownish and hysterical but we control them. Google Rainbow Farm and chat to Lorraine dog size breed etc is no issue

We used to go to Rainbow Farm, and it was fantastic for our needs until they acquired the free roaming goats who had access to all areas. Not a good mix at all with dogs with any sort of prey drive, so just be aware. They might give a dog "a run for its money", but it could end in tears all round. Not a big criticism, just saying it no longer met our needs.

To answer the OPs question, a secure, fully fenced yard is really important for me when it comes to going on holidays with our dogs...and only second to the need to have the dogs inside. There's nothing more tiring (for both us and the dogs) than the need to have them on lead every time you step out the front/back door, even just for toileting.

When deciding on your destination/accommodation, how important is it to you whether or not the property has it's own attached dog proof yard outside?

Absolutely essential. Nothing annoys me more than turning up somewhere that is 'dog friendly' and 'fully fenced' to find out that there is not a fence that would keep ANY dog in, let along my 3. Let manicured gardens with full sprinkler systems and lighting systems in place that are expected to still be there when we have left. :rofl:

this is a big key for us. I have 3 kids and one dog so having a fenced area is great as sometimes i just cant take him out on a lead.

I am also a massive chicken and am to worried about letting him off lead. (this is something i have been like with all my dogs)

there is a few places in margret river that allow dogs and have yards

We usually camp (thus dogs inside is mandatory :laugh:) so I'm quite used to dogs being on lead at all times. Both dogs have no problem toileting on lead and are also excellent at sleeping in, which is essential :D As someone else said, I always plan to take them out for an off lead gallop.

This place looks fantastic, I would love to take my lot there one day! Have fun

:thumbsup: The dogs and I have been up there several times for training workshops (our first trip was a camping one, before the cabins were built. :) ) It's a fantastic place to go. The cabins are lovely (even have a dog door, much to my BC girl's delight) and the views are stunning.

Only 2 problems - I'm paranoid about ticks and cane toads, so we haven't actually gone on the rainforest walks

- and it's SUCH a long way from Hobart :rofl:

Thanks so much for more feedback everyone.

It is wonderful to get everyone's ideas and opinions. Seems many of us would like a yard to utilise for emptying and other semi supervised outdoorsy situations, but not everyone, and that's cool.

Edited by dyzney