Doggy First Aid Kit

Toolz

i am wanting to put together a first aid kit for my doggy (and throw some cat stuff in as well) and want ideas of what to have in it.

Start with an off the shelf human first aid kit, then add a tick remover, I cant think of anything else apart from dog/cat medications. Unless you expect/ environmental hazards from serious injuries such as a dog being ripped up by a wild animal then something like a surgical stapler etc.

Probably doesn't really apply to most breeds of dog but for the greys, we have the thermal blankets (can't think of the proper name- the silver, reflective stuff), instant heat packs and instant cool packs.

Injectable vitamin C for snake bites is maybe also something to consider.

I do not have a Doggy First Aid kit, but the thing I use most on my dogs is Aloe Vera gel.

Add a bag of "Lectric Soda Crystals"

It can be used if your dog swallows something it shouldn't.

Causes the dog to vomit instantly (within 30 secs).

Edited by Yesmaam

thanks guys.. will look into that.. it always pays to be prepared and with the amount of earth movement going on round the world these days i just dont want to risk being caught out..

This is my first aid kit for my dog trailer

Vetwrap

Crepe bandage

Elastic bandage

Tensoplast

Cotton wool ( large roll )

Cotton wool and gauze

Gauze swabs

assorted small dressings etc

Saline

Gloves

Scissors

Needles

Syringes

Tweezers

Cotton buds

Cotton balls

scourban

anti-inflamatories

anti-biotics

asprin

buscopan

Maxalon

Vytrate

Chlorhex

Malaseb

after having a look there is also

hand sanitiser

baby wipes

nutrigel

lubricant

dressing packs

melolin

thermometre

curash powder

antihystamine

sudocream

neocort

condy's

dermaid

jelonet dressing

a bucket

clean towels

blanket

Edited by ReadySetGo

I have a heap of stuff in my doggy first aid kits. I brought a first aid book and then went through the treatment for the range of injuries the boys could have and made sure I had sufficient supplies to treat each.

Injuries could be ... cut foot through to snake bite and being hit by a car. There is also a copy of the first aid book, tick removers, recharge (electrolytes), lots of zip lock bags, doggy toilet bags, wet ones etc.

I have 2 dogs ... so therefore there are 3 kits. One for each of the dogs and that kit goes with the dog - so if I have 2 dogs in the car then I have 2 first aid kits with me (actually 3 because I always have a trauma kit in my car). The third doggy kit stays at home - to be taken if one of the other 2 kits has been used and needs restocking.

Maybe I am a little paranoid but after having one of my boys cut an artery in his leg and cleaning out multiply kits because there was insufficient dressing to cope with the injury. The next day I would out and made sure it never happened again.

Edited by Tilly

I do not have a Doggy First Aid kit, but the thing I use most on my dogs is Aloe Vera gel.

Where do you buy Lectric Soda Crystals ?

I get them at the supermarket (for human baths, haven't needed them for the dog yet touch wood). My local has them in the first aid section near bandaids, deep heat etc.

Great kit ready set go....yours & mine are very similar. I don't have a bucket though. I always have spare leads, a torch as well.....sometimes an emergency happens at night! A bottle of water is handy as well. There's usually one rolling around in the car!

I get them at the supermarket (for human baths, haven't needed them for the dog yet touch wood). My local has them in the first aid section near bandaids, deep heat etc.

Or it might be in the laundry section - I have used it with our old GSD x Collie Rough when she decided to eat snail bate at the age of 10! No idea why she ate it but was very glad I had it on hand. From memory it was enough Lectric Soda to cover a 50c coin and it made her vomit almost instantly. We dosed her about 3 times and the vet said it saved her life. I always keep it in the cupboards now and thankfully have not needed it since.

Fantastic for soaking away the aches and pains in a hot bath. :thumbsup:

Oh perhaps a soft muzzle as well, a dog in pain can bite someone tending it. If not a muzzle in the kit then a soft strong cord so you can make a J loop around the mouth instead.

1 needing first aid, is better than 2 needing first aid :laugh:

Hi. In regards to the Lectric soda crystals.....at Safeway supermarkets it is in the laundry section. Only thing I suggest is to keep it in an air tight container as I have had open bags of it go rock hard. :)