Upgrading Cameras

Tay.

I had my 1000D for about 12 months before I really felt that I needed to upgrade. It's now 2 years since I got the camera and I'm really, really over it and desperate to upgrade but just don't have the finances right now. Hopefully by the end of the year I'll have my 7D and maybe even a couple of new lenses. :)

I think how long it takes depends on what camera you started out with, how often you use it and what you use it for. I could have upgraded already but don't see much point in spending the money to go to a 550D or 60D when it's not what I really want. I also think that depending on the camera you have, you can make a tremendous difference in your photo quality by upgrading your lenses first but again, it depends on what you use the camera for.

Yeah, I have the 1000D too, but only for almost a year. I'm trying to figure out if it's the camera, lens or my skills that are lacking :laugh:.

Thanks for your reply :)

some people never upgrade if their camera gives them what they want. I suppose I did when I was sure the camera couldn't get the shots I wanted. I first got some good lenses and when it still wasn't fast enough I upgraded. Even then it's taken me a long time to get some decent shots of the type I like. I still probably get more misses than hits, dont know if I'm just expecting too much from the camera or if I still lack the technique required. Lucky I dont have to pay for film to be developed before seeing the photos.

I went from a D80 to a D300s within a few months, but the D80 was faulty and I knew I wanted to upgrade so seized the opportunity then. I was using it for second shooting weddings and pushing it to its absolute limits. Now I have my eyes firmly set on the D700, just so I can have my D300 as a back up.

ETA It's super common for people with entry level cameras to want to upgrade. Now whenever someone asks me to recommend a camera, I say to avoid the entry level model, because you will probably want to upgrade within 6-12 months anyway.

Edited by huga

I had the 450D for about 2 years before i upgraded but i knew i wanted to upgrade a long time before that. Funnily enough it was the video on the 5D that sold it to me - i work in TV and have used it to shoot promos several times over the last year :)

I now really want to add a 7D to my gear just for action shots - but it's something that won't happen for a while!

Edited by ~*Shell*~

I got a Canon 350D in 2006 and upgraded the body at the end of last year. I learned a heap with that camera and got some great photos. I still believe you can get great shots out of the entry level DSLR's and even the kit lenses and for happy snaps there often isn't much reason to 'upgrade'.

I've had my 40Ds since about 2007, I think. And I adore them. Haven't been tempted to upgrade to any of the new models. Dreading the day when they finally give out and I have to buy something new :(

Unless you have totally outgrown your camera body and/or it will simply not do what you need it to do, there's no reason to upgrade. Get better glass first, imho, then worry about the body. Most people upgrade out of a feeling of missing out or not being cool enough with the entry level rather than because they have truly reached the potential of a body.

imho most people need to spend far more time getting to know their cameras and perfecting their shooting skills & styles. New gear won't instantly and magically improve your photography so it's important to identify what you are not getting with your current setup to see if it's a gear issue or if it's a technique issue.

Edited by kja

The first DSLR (as against 35mm SLR) was the E-420. I out grew it in about 3 months & got the E-30 about 2 months later. Had the E-30 for about a year or so but would have upgraded sooner had the E-5 came out sooner. I've had the E-5 for about 7 months now & very happy with it, so no real plans to upgrade - anyways the E-5 is the Olympus flagship model so I can't unless I jump brands to Canon & get a 1Ds MkIII. But then I'd lose those beautiful Zuiko lenses & it just isn't worth it IMHO. So it looks like I'll just have to wait for the E-7 in about 2 or so years time...

Edited by DMA

I only upgraded today! hehe..

I have been using the Panasonic Lumix FZ7 (or is it 10?) Anyhow 2 years ago it was the top of the range point and shoot from Lumix. :D I have got some fantastic photos from it but I have been itching to try out the world of DSLR, so today I purchased the Nikon D7000 with the 18-105 lens. I know I will probably want a better zoom lens in the future, but this looked like a good way to start!

I'm hoping to upgrade in the next 12-18 months. But to what is still undecided. I'm leaning towards the 7D, whereas OH is leaning toward a 5D MII.

It'll be even more confusing for you by then because the 7D MkII & the 5D Mk III will be out by then ;)

only upgrade if the camera and lens are not giving you what you want, and you are sure it is not user error creating the problem - took me 2 years to upgrade, and I only did so as the camera I had could not be pushed beyond ISO 400 without incredible amounts of noise. I have not upgraded since then, other than to add a backup body, as being in the business I cannot afford to have gear failure, but would be more likely now to add new lenses rather than change the body over, my camera bodies do all that I need them to do. There can be a tendency though to assume that a better camera will always give better results, when sometimes it is not using the body to the best of its ability, and understanding how all the different functions of the camera work in manual to extract the best from the body and lens combination, and not using the available light properly that is creating a problem - just changing up bodies will not solve this

thanks for the replies all ^ :)

ahhh, I dunno!? Thinking a new lens before a new body!

Dont upgrade for the sake of upgrading. Is there something you want to do and your camera cannot deliver?

I think I want something a little faster, for better action shots. Also higher picture quality would be nice. But I seriously think I have much to learn before upgrading and I do love my 1000D (mostly :p). I was just curious to see how long it took others to upgrade :)

First DSLR was a 10D and that lasted 2 years before it had to go for repairs and I got the 350D as a fill in camera. After 3 years I got the 40D - had been waiting for that model as it offered better frame per second and other stuff that the 10D didnt have. 10 D was the second camera til it died and the 350D was the second camera. 40D was fantastic but after 2 years started to have issues so got a 50D (should not have done that) 40D still main camera but lasted another 6 months til the shutter stopped working properly so off for repairs (50D was suppose to replace but was useless had to go for its own repairs) so back to the 350D as the fill in camera for those weeks and while it had a slower frames per second it didnt miss a beat on everything else I needed it for (though I hated having it out in the rain). So once both 40 and 50D were repaired I got the 7D (50D dust collector would be good for landscape and portrait stuff just not action) so now the 40D is the second camera when needed and the 350D currently doesnt have a lens on it but still should work fine if needed.

I love the 40D its always delivered and the 7D has also done so although it took a fair bit of setting up to get the photos wirking well but once sorted its all good. Its not a stick on auto camera if you truly want to use it at its best. The 350d good old reliable camera that did the job I needed last year. I've only upgraded when the new cameras had far more to offer than the current one and the current one has started to have some kind of issue needing repair - better to spend money on lenses than upgrade for no obvious reason. And all digital cameras will take good shots if you use them correctly just that something like the 7d should provided 30 shots in the space that say the 10D would have done 10. For sports stuff when you must get the shot thats a huge advantage - for snapshots not so important.

Edited by rubiton

• 1 month later...

Well I have just upgraded from a Pentax Kx to a Nikon D90 the pentax just doesn't have the features that I need to start my photography business and it doesn't have a lot of features that the Nikon or Canon's have like a depth of field button and the nikon has a faster response time. the Pentax will be my backup for now as I still know how to use it effectively and I have a flash for it as well which I don't have for the Nikon yet.