When Did That Happen - Facebook On Dol Profile Pages

SwaY

Facebook like button on profiles  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like having a FaceBook Like button on the DOL dog profiles?

• Yes
    • No
    • N/A

Personally, for me, I don't like that this forum, which is kept relatively politics free, can be cross posted to facebook, where there are definitely no boundaries.

I don't want my posts in here able to be shared in another forum without me making a decision to post there.

I understand the need to keep up, and I don't think that having the dogs profiles being able to be shared on facebook is necessarily a really bad thing, (although I don't like it) but I think that having topics and threads from the forum being able to be shared on Facebook is a bad thing.

You obviously don't visit facebook much. Topics on here are regularly cross posted and discussed already.

I use facebook all the time and have only seen the odd topic crossed over, and only very recently. I am obviously not political enough, or, more truthfully, am not "friends" with the "right" people :laugh:

Sounds like me.

Am on facebook all the time (more than here) and am yet to see a topic cross-posted from DOL

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not many people go to the effort of cutting and pasting links from DOL to FB of a particular dog, I personally have never seen anyone do it and I have a lot of show friends on FB.

By having a "like" button it's instant and easy... instant and easy is not always a good thing.

"Like" buttons or "share" buttons to breed pages, or even to the DOL pointscore pages would be great, but NOT to individual dogs.

The dog profiles are in effect 'advertisements' for individual dogs designed to promote them and inform people about them. Having a 'like' button on them IMO is a good idea as it is a way for your 'ad' to be seen by even more people. If someone doesnt want people to see their dogs profile, I would wonder why they have one. I agree that having a profile 'rubbished' in FB is possible but unlikely due to the very public nature of it - more likely to happen privately if it will happen just like it can be done now already. The benefits of social network sharing in this instance IMO outweigh any negatives.

Regarding forum threads. I have seen them shared on some other breed specific forums I belong to (listservs) - mainly articles and threads in the 'news' sections. They are being found and shared by people overseas (not DOL members) who see the topics as interesting and relevant and worthy of sharing. I have personally never seen any shared in a malicious fashion, only in the spirit of education and information exchange.

Edited by espinay2

I don't want my dog being shared on other peoples pages with the full permission of DOL.

Yes, people can cut and paste links, but by having a share or like button it's encouraging people to share other peoples photos, when I have only given DOL permission to have them on their page.

My mum found some woman using her dog as her profile picture, she contacted the woman who refused to remove it. She then contacted FB who forcibly removed the photo.

By having a 'like' button you cannot ask FB to remove the photo if you do not want it shared in that fashion.

There would need to be some heavy disclaimers in place and notification to ALL current owners of a dog on the breed pages in case they choose to remove them.

Edited by Shaar

As for the profiles, once I get it working it will be totally optional to have it displayed as I previously stated. I do not understand why people are still complaining about it?

If you like it and want it for your dog only, you can switch it on, it you don't like it, you can leave it switched off. Am I missing something as to why people are up in arms about it?

As for the forum topics, no need to panic there either, it has been switched off.

I will eventually put something in the header where you can like the forum itself rather than a topic.

You obviously don't visit facebook much. Topics on here are regularly cross posted and discussed already.

Sounds like me.

Am on facebook all the time (more than here) and am yet to see a topic cross-posted from DOL

I too have never seen a topic cross posted,i have seen people make a comment regarding a post but people have to be on DOL to now what there talking about .i am on FB everyday & alot of my FB friends are DOL people.

I also would prefer DOL to be DOL

The problem with "like" "share " buttons is other people can do it & it goes to FB then you are accused of gaining brownie points when you infact didn't do it .

As for the profiles, once I get it working it will be totally optional to have it displayed as I previously stated. I do not understand why people are still complaining about it?

If you like it and want it for your dog only, you can switch it on, it you don't like it, you can leave it switched off. Am I missing something as to why people are up in arms about it?

As for the forum topics, no need to panic there either, it has been switched off.

I will eventually put something in the header where you can like the forum itself rather than a topic.

At least it is optional, I missed that part sorry.

People are still complaining about it because you will never get the entire community agreeing on any one topic.

Some people love it, some hate it, you will get the same thing if you asked "should the forum be blue or pink?".

I know politics is a taboo subject here so I will just say it will make it a lot easier for people to promote their dogs (or other peoples) and make them stick in peoples memory... for the right or wrong reasons.

Dogs should be judged on the day, not on Facebook.

Sorry but I am big time OVER Facebook...I have 2 teenage daughters, need I say more.

I would rather Facebook NOT infiltrate DOL, but who am I but a person over 45 who in Internet terms dont really count.

I am not a fan of facebook either but I don't beleve it is going anywhere soon. It has become too big. A lot of people do like it ... those same people would probably not see the point in some of the things I like to do in my spare time.

I think this is a happy medium, if you want to be involved in facebook via Dogz Online, you can ... if you don't then nothing really changes for you. The facebook likes have been removed from the topics.

Age doesn't really come into it ... I am a fan of the internet/technology in general and I am nearly 50 :). The internet appeals to all ages.

I am with you Troy, I cant understand what the problem is if this is optional, you can either have the like button or not. Those of us that are happy to have it should not be penalised because of those that dont want it. I think it is an excellent idea. :thumbsup:

I have noticed that fewer and fewer people in my breed add show results to their dog profiles on DOL now. They brag on Facebook where of course, it is interactive and they can get lots of accolades.

It makes sense from that perspective, to merge/link the two sites.