Funny Mis-informed Things People Say About Dogs

My bfs mum is a cracker for saying these annoying, 100% wrong things about dogs and feeding them. She doesnt agree with us feeding raw food to the dogs and occassionaly likes to make it known.

When talking about adding pasta to the raw mince- "You shouldnt feed pasta to German Shepherds because I read when researching GSD's they dont like pasta. Rice is ok though its very good for them" :banghead:

When talking of different raw foods we feed the dogs "Oh Ill go and get them some roo mince. But you have to cook roo mince they cant eat it raw." :banghead:

In relation to the GSD being half trained and let get away with murder, I.E Dogs in loungeroom have to be calm and relaxed sitting or laying down, not pacing around and into everything like she is- "Oh she is just a nosey parker, likes to know what everyones doing and where everything is" :banghead: That one annoys me the most. I feel like screaming at her "No! Its because your son has stopped putting in the effort into a difficult dog who NEEDS structure, discipline and training that she wont obey a stay command!!"

She just doesnt understand.What have you heard in your time?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:laugh: i know you probably aren't laughing but if i didn't laugh i'd prolly be crying.

in relation to kangaroo mince, did she explain why she thinks that? its just that my family was brought up in the sticks on a farm and there were wild kangas wandering around and there still is on the properties out there, but they claim they were full of worms, the wild ones taht is. So we don't know if the kangaroo mince that you get is farmed roos or wild roos that were perhaps culled. so they've always advised to cook the mince to kill anything. my family's been telling me that for years.

but for the other stuff you mentioned :) i like how you continually bang your head on that wall.

i had an ex who adopted a stray (maltese cross DD) couldn't find the owner so his mother and him decided to keep the dog, called him "mutty". anyway, lived p/t with my show chihuahuas. when i call my dogs they come to their names like clockwork because i've trained them. anyway ex-bf kept calling poor ol' mutty and he would never come. he is deaf he said. so i called him had a treat in my hand (didn't ofcourse let him see after a while how i train my babies) and he came everytime. i don't think so! also came to his mother which was comical.

explained to me that a few times he'd call mutty and then yell at him and give him discipline for not coming straight away so hence why dog took time coming to his name and then not coming at all.

tried to explain to him this is how you train them but yeha didn't understand the concept of training.

Edited by toy dog

My Mum once told me when I was 9 that German Shepherds 'with amber eyes were nasty and could 'turn''. She then told me prior to getting Brennan that 'female GSDs can 'turn''. I asked her why if she is scared of German Shepherds did she have a GSD x Kelpie who was mostly German Shepherd when I was born? and with me as a toddler?...apparently the small amount of Kelpie made the difference :laugh:. Turns out she had been bitten on the face by a female purebred German Shepherd and she was a bit wary. Now she is fine-- or at least she is fine with my dog...I don't know if I'd get her to a specialty show anytime soon though.

Apart from GSDs, Rottweilers, and Dobermans were also capable of 'turning'. ACDs were added to that list after a families ACD bit a friends brother on the face during a child birthday party.

Border Collies also 'have a nasty streak'. This is from seeing her friends getting a BC pup and keeping it in a small enclosed fence area with 2 ten minute walks a day and little other human interaction or training.

I do recall one day prior to getting Brennan that I snapped at her and pointed out that 'Every dog on the planet is capable of ''turning'' even her Maltese x Shih Tzu'.

She also bought her dog ( the cross breed) from a byb. She told me how cross breeds are healthier, and less prone to diseases and how her breeder is a reputable breeder. I think she confused the fact that her ''breeder'' is a lovely person ( and she is) to mean that she is reputable :(. Last 'pearler' she said was that she should buy the cross breed from the pet store in Adelaide because if it's not good for them to be in the stores then she'd be 'saving it'.

Needless to say my Mum and I have had several conversations about reputable breeders/ backyard breeders/ puppy mills/pet shops. Most of the time she tells me that 'I am obsessed' or 'fanatical'. Though she is learning--she want's another dog but she is going to go to a shelter to look for a Maltese x type dog. Last time she tried to get me to go near a pet store I stood muttering 'Puppy farms/ Vile places/ Disgrace/ Should not be here/ Registered-Reputable breeder' --just loud enough for the staff to hear :laugh:. She's learning...I think hearing it from other people helps--makes her realise that it is not 'just her daughter' who feels this way.

Classic ones:

- Husky were bred to kill cats

- Feeding raw will turn them feral and make them wild

- If a child/person get bitten by a dog that dog saliva will give them dog like traits (eg.. they will howl and stuff. oh, and they will always like their steak rare)

- Don't ever have to train Lab... give them a year and they will turn good

I find them funny :rofl:

She reckons the roo meat has worms and isnt healthy for them unless its cooked. I just ignore most of what she says in regards to the dogs and what we feed them. She continues to buy dry dog food because its on special. We have 2 15kg bags sitting there for 'emergencies'. Dont get me wrong she is a lovely lady but we just have extremely different views on dogs which have become ever more evident since moving in with her :laugh:

Not to mention the dogs mainly get chicken or beef and not roo :laugh:

Edited by spoilt lab lives here

Here's one

"If a dog follows you and looks at you it means they're hungry, if you don't feed them they will attack you and eat you"

Of course their dog follows them, he knows he's going to get some yummy fatty scraps!

Edited by DogNerd

http://www.dolforums.com.au/topic/197754-name-some-dog-myths/page__p__4587036__fromsearch__1#entry4587036

Here ya go. 18 pages of myths :laugh:

Some of the best/worst/funniest

"If a dog wags his tail, he’s happy

A wellness indicator in a dog is how dry/wet hot/cold their nose is.

Feeding a dog raw meat will give it the taste of blood and make it want to hunt & kill ( Love this one)

"Soft drink bottles full of water will stop dogs peeing on your garden." Because the dog will know it's fresh water and so won't pee or poop there

or

Because dog's can't see clear things, so they think the water is suspended in the air, and get scared.

The bull breed "lock jaw" myth!

GSD's, Rotties, Pittbulls have been known to turn on their owners due to a chemical imbalance in their brain,

If you hold a pug upside down their eyes will pop out.

If you let your dog take a tug toy from you - you will lose alpha / leader status in that dog's eyes. (even if the dog brings it straight back?) or If you play tug with a dog - you encourage aggression and dominance behaviour in the dog.

Apparently the Stafford's skull needs to "be" split.....eg, you split its skull yourself.....or it can die as the brain grows too large for the skull.

And then there are all these which are just so random that maybe I should add them too.

To do with Looks

If the roof of a dogs mouth is black or has black markings means he/she is stupid.

OR

I have heard that if the roof of the mouth is black it means they are a pure breed

OR

if your dog has pigmentation in their mouth it means they will become aggressive.

OR

the black roof of mouth meant the dog was really smart

Don't trust a dog with orange eyebrows.

Only dogs with three hairs growing out of the freckle under their chin are any good as pets.

Dogs with light or yellow eyes are evil.

Any dog with wrinkles on it's forehead will attack you "

Edited by lovemesideways

My Mum once told me when I was 9 that German Shepherds 'with amber eyes were nasty and could 'turn''. She then told me prior to getting Brennan that 'female GSDs can 'turn''. I asked her why if she is scared of German Shepherds did she have a GSD x Kelpie who was mostly German Shepherd when I was born? and with me as a toddler?...apparently the small amount of Kelpie made the difference :laugh:. Turns out she had been bitten on the face by a female purebred German Shepherd and she was a bit wary. Now she is fine-- or at least she is fine with my dog...I don't know if I'd get her to a specialty show anytime soon though.

Apart from GSDs, Rottweilers, and Dobermans were also capable of 'turning'. ACDs were added to that list after a families ACD bit a friends brother on the face during a child birthday party.

Border Collies also 'have a nasty streak'. This is from seeing her friends getting a BC pup and keeping it in a small enclosed fence area with 2 ten minute walks a day and little other human interaction or training.

I do recall one day prior to getting Brennan that I snapped at her and pointed out that 'Every dog on the planet is capable of ''turning'' even her Maltese x Shih Tzu'.

She also bought her dog ( the cross breed) from a byb. She told me how cross breeds are healthier, and less prone to diseases and how her breeder is a reputable breeder. I think she confused the fact that her ''breeder'' is a lovely person ( and she is) to mean that she is reputable :(. Last 'pearler' she said was that she should buy the cross breed from the pet store in Adelaide because if it's not good for them to be in the stores then she'd be 'saving it'.

Needless to say my Mum and I have had several conversations about reputable breeders/ backyard breeders/ puppy mills/pet shops. Most of the time she tells me that 'I am obsessed' or 'fanatical'. Though she is learning--she want's another dog but she is going to go to a shelter to look for a Maltese x type dog. Last time she tried to get me to go near a pet store I stood muttering 'Puppy farms/ Vile places/ Disgrace/ Should not be here/ Registered-Reputable breeder' --just loud enough for the staff to hear :laugh:. She's learning...I think hearing it from other people helps--makes her realise that it is not 'just her daughter' who feels this way.

Just out of curiosity is your Mum a horse person? Many horse people feel that a horse with light eyes cannot be trusted and I myself cannot stand dogs with light eyes (ie. when the standard calls for otherwise) - I do agree to a point.

:)

I want to meet her :-p

Id like to ask hr advise on feeding my lot :-p

All in good time for the meeting hahaha.

She would pull out all the stops. Milk watered down as a treat. The day she did that after being told not to I said to her (In a joking way to not upset her) when the dog has explosive poops all through your house you can clean it up! :laugh: Needless to say milk is no longer on the menu. But you know its all about healthy bones :rofl:

I want to meet her :-p

Id like to ask hr advise on feeding my lot :-p

All in good time for the meeting hahaha.

She would pull out all the stops. Milk watered down as a treat. The day she did that after being told not to I said to her (In a joking way to not upset her) when the dog has explosive poops all through your house you can clean it up! :laugh: Needless to say milk is no longer on the menu. But you know its all about healthy bones :rofl:

I gave the dogs milk the other day...thinking it would be a good idea....ahhh nups Whitey threw up everywhere :-P

Just out of curiosity is your Mum a horse person? Many horse people feel that a horse with light eyes cannot be trusted and I myself cannot stand dogs with light eyes (ie. when the standard calls for otherwise) - I do agree to a point.

:)

Nope-- not a horse person, in fact no one in my family has ever had much to do with horses other then driving past a field and seeing them.

I heard a doozy and the person that told me was adamant , said that a breeder had put a bitch down because another dog had got to it and it was now no good as the bitch was tainted and any litters it had ever could spit out the mongrel that got to her :confused:

I heard a doozy and the person that told me was adamant , said that a breeder had put a bitch down because another dog had got to it and it was now no good as the bitch was tainted and any litters it had ever could spit out the mongrel that got to her :confused:

yep i have heard this one that the bitch can never have a pure litter if she has been breed to a diffirent breed.