Preparation For First Show

Fantastic, I will keep an eye out for cheaper suits.

I am really intersted in getting the right kinds of grooming products to start with. As the breeder truely believes this pup has some show potential, I have promised I will show it for her - whether or not I decide after a while I don't particularly like it (Although I highly doubt this after visiting a few shows) so I think it would be worthwhile buying the good stuff now, and give myself a better chance of getting it right from the start. Otherwise I will just need to get the better gear later. :D

I will look into where I can purchase a nice show lead. I am keen to maybe get a grey or charcoal lead with a teeny bit of bling, purple perhaps? The poor boy already has a bright purple collar and lead waiting for him!

Try Glamour Show Leads on Facebook - you can pick your colours to match whatever you want, and they are fantastic prices. I have heaps and keep going back for more! They aren't over the top or in your face or extra blingy.

I learn something new with grooming every weekend I show, and what I do varies from dog to dog. Even three half sisters are groomed completely differently to each other because their coats are different and the dogs underneath are different, so giving any real advice over the net is a bit hard! Hands on is the best way to learn, if you can.

The main things are, I think, to know how to trim feet and ears and get a good whitening shampoo. Several good ones have already been mentioned, personally I use the Plush Puppy Whitening one, but there's horse shampoos that are cheaper and work well too.

For the first few shows, you won't actually need anything beyond a puppy shampoo and maybe some scissors to tidy up his feet, or at least get him used to having his feet trimmed. Babies don't need powder, voluminiser, hairspray etc. They just need to be clean and sweet smelling.

And there's no point in having a grooming kit full of expensive stuff if you don't know how or when to use it.

My basic kit for a baby would be:

Thinning scissors and normal scissors

Good whitening shampoo

Some sort of waterless shampoo that you can use on legs/feet on the day of the show if puppy gets dirty/muddy

A soft brush

Other important things are a number holder of some sort and a bait bag if you don't want to put stinking bait in pockets! :laugh:

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am considering at the moment a charcoal or dark grey suit, and a grey lead to hopefully not stand out way too much!

Just be careful with those coloured suits, if your pup has some dark markings along it's topline the colour will blend in with your pants/skirt and make it look like your pup has a dippy topline if you stand behind him while stacking. Of course it doesn't matter so much in the baby classes but in the adult classes you want to show off the dog not have it blend in with you :) Though you could always stand in front of the dog in lineups so wearing a darker suit won't matter much :)

Personally I really like a brightish red, pink or green with merles.

When you can get to a show next check out what colours Aussie exhibitors (and even the merle Collie exhibitors) are wearing and you can see what will work and what is not helping the dog out. :)

:laugh: My show leads are black/hot pink, black/turquoise and black/apple......for reddy/orange dogs so don't worry about trying not to stand out much ;)

For a grey toned dog, I'd be looking at dark jewel toned suits - burgundy, royal blue, aubergine, or dark green.

Some form of contrast to the dog is required.

I agree.

A lady I know with a blue merle wears a lot of dark green and royal blues and she looks fantastic.

For a grey toned dog, I'd be looking at dark jewel toned suits - burgundy, royal blue, aubergine, or dark green.

I agree.

A lady I know with a blue merle wears a lot of dark green and royal blues and she looks fantastic.

I'd not match the lead though.. if going for a paracord lead, I'd go for pewter, or if the dog has a white neck, white.

Edited by poodlefan

The best show outfits, in my opinion, are the ones you don't notice. The show is about the dog, not the handler and the more unobtrusive the handler, the more the dog stands out. For a blue merle dog, I'd go with black, charcoal grey, navy blue or dark brown/tan. Flat black or grey shoes and no hat, no patterned fabrics, no chunky jewellery. If you choose to wear white shoes, make sure they are sparkling clean.

If you're unsure about lead colour, black is always safe as it tends to "disappear" into the background.

...and most exhibitors would select a colour such as red (as an example) to enesure the dog doesn't disappear into the handlers outfit!

For the first few shows, you won't actually need anything beyond a puppy shampoo and maybe some scissors to tidy up his feet, or at least get him used to having his feet trimmed. Babies don't need powder, voluminiser, hairspray etc. They just need to be clean and sweet smelling.

I'm sorry Gayle but really?! MOST people start off grooming babies as they will an adult only on a smaller scale.

...and just as a side note - I am ALL for encouraging new exhibitors but if I am going to encourage them, then I am going to encourage them the right way (ie. not drop them in the deep end and advise they give their puppy/dog a 'lick and a spit' when we all know damn well that the probability of their competition being groomed and presented exceptionally well is very high).

eventingpony - take several of the ideas from this thread and start collecting bits and pieces and practice at home with some products so it all comes together on show day :)

I am sure you'll have a really nice time!

I'm sorry Gayle but really?! MOST people start off grooming babies as they will an adult only on a smaller scale.

Exactly, its all part of their training - they get used to it and you learn on a much smaller scale. Imagine trying to learn and wrestle a full-sized Aussie that really doesn't want to be chalked :laugh:

Number one most important thing when showing your dog

You love your dog

You will go home with your dog

Regardless of what the judge or others think yours is always the best dog to you

Sometimes a thick skin is a great accessory

This :) I found fellow exhibitors were very freely dispensing advice at our 2 shows so far - I do have help from my breeder, but on the day you sometimes have a "what am I doing" moment!

Yes really. Babies don't need powder, spray or any product. They need to be trained to stand still and enjoy being groomed, they need to get used to their feet and ears being trimmed. They don't need product through their coat though. And I take my grooming tips from the top Aussie breeders in the state.

There are plenty of ways to get a puppy used to being chalked without using chalk. Rub thier leg gently, back comb the hair on their paws. Use a water spray bottle sparingly on them to get used to the sound, but puppy fur and skin don't need anything extra.

Edited by GayleK

Yes really. Babies don't need powder, spray or any product. They need to be trained to stand still and enjoy being groomed, they need to get used to their feet and ears being trimmed. They don't need product through their coat though. And I take my grooming tips from the top Aussie breeders in the state.

:laugh: you're entitled to your opinion GayleK...that's what it is, your opinion.

MOST people start off grooming their baby puppy as it will be groomed as an adult.

There are plenty of ways to get a puppy used to being chalked without using chalk. Rub thier leg gently, back comb the hair on their paws. Use a water spray bottle sparingly on them to get used to the sound, but puppy fur and skin don't need anything extra.

Well then, you may as well use the chalk - it has a purpose...

Anyway you have always had very different ideas about dog shows so I feel it's important the OP gets a varied opinion :)

I agree.

I'd not match the lead though.. if going for a paracord lead, I'd go for pewter, or if the dog has a white neck, white.

See this is where I differ. I use gold snake chains and the leads match my suit.

But then on my breed there is so much coat that you lose a lot of the lead anyway.

:laugh: you're entitled to your opinion GayleK...that's what it is, your opinion.

MOST people start off grooming their baby puppy as it will be groomed as an adult.

I know I certainly groom my babies the way I groom the adults, so does pretty much everyone I know.