How'd You Choose Your Breed?

Stack

I grew up with pekinese, poodles and chihuahua's and couldn't wait to grow up to have a big dog of my own.

My breed found me when she accidently came into my life. She was wandering the streets and followed my brother home, train and all. I remember opening the front door and seeing the most prettiest bluest eyes looking up at me. It was love at first sight. I love huskies and will always have one (or 2 or 3 :laugh: ) in my life, they're the best. :)

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To answer your question, rather than pass judgement or 2nd guess you, ending up with a Hungarian Vizsla was for me, pure accident. My OH at the time and I had been discussing requirements for a dog for 12 months. I didn't want anything too large, like a Rotty or a GSD. She would have loved something that big or larger. But, for me, it made no sense with travel etc., to have something so big. On the other hand, neither of us wanted a SWF or anything too small.

We wanted and active dog which would also be very affectionate. It had to be intelligent and respond well to training. It also had to be independant enough to be able to go 4 or 5 hours alone 3 or 4 times a week when our work schedules crossed over. We also wanted short coated and minimal doggy smell.

A few years ago we took the opportunity to visit the RMS. naturally, we went and had a look at the show ring and the agility. We bumped into a Vizsla...literally :rofl: as it came back in from an agility run. She was very hyped up right at that point and the way she settled quickly and how affectionate she was sold us. We then did some real research on the breed and then, the breeders. There were a few breeders who we would have gladly accepted a pup from. But there was one dog who we loved. We had seen him at a couple of shows and had met and spoken to his owners several times. We got to know them and when he eventually was put to stud, we were lucky enough to be allowed to have one. We had a choice, but also allowed the breeder to assist in finding the right V for us. We listened to her, spent time with the pups as they grew to 8 weeks of age and could not be happier with the match up!!! Ozkar is just a gorgeous little (Well...at 8 months he is not so little anymore!!! :) ) boy and his temperament is exactly what we wanted. High energy, but with the ability to chill when we need him to.

But, I have two puppies. The 2nd one was a totally different story. As Ozkar was a pure breed, I had made the decision that the next one would be a rescue dog. The intention from the start with Ozkar, was to wait till he was 6 months old and get him a playmate. So, as luck would have it, a couple of weeks into looking, I came across a 12 month old female GSP up or adoption. I went up frist to meet her and loved her. Then I took Ozkar up for several playdates to see how the two of them got on. After about playdate number 3 it was obvious to all that they adored each other. So, Zsa Zsa the GSP came home with us. :D

Both are, of course, at my feet asleep right now after just returning from a 2 hour walk. :)

I'd love to hear some others stories as to how they ended up with what they did? I bet there might be the odd humerous tale of obtaining a puppy!! ;)

I'd always loved kelpies but never liked BC's till about 5 years ago when I started learning more about them.

I love their intensity and drive, their athletiscm, willingness to learn and extreme intelligence. I knew I wanted a working line dog and Quinn embodies every quality I love about BC's. Her intensity takes my breather away, I love when she drops her shoulders, flattens her ears and stares right at me (usually waiting for me to throw the ball) and eventhough she's not even 15kg and she's my little girl its almost intimidating, if I was a sheep... I would do as I was told.

I wanted a short haired medium sized dog to do dog sports. I also have a preference for 'natural' looking dogs with pricked ears, long tails and moderate build. Kelpies weren't on the list initially as I wasn't sure I was up for that much activity. Got Zoe from the pound, BIG learning curve :laugh: but now I wouldn't get anything else :thumbsup: I had also always wanted a GSD but had to wait til I was in a position to get a big dog before getting Diesel, but have now found I think Kelpies suit me (and my sports choice) better.

I love their intensity, their drive, their love of work, always ready to do something with you, their intelligence, agility and of course their appearance.

ETA: I love this video tribute to Kelpies

A stud I am interested in for my next dog too ;)

Edited by Kavik

To answer your question, rather than pass judgement or 2nd guess you, ending up with a Hungarian Vizsla was for me, pure accident. My OH at the time and I had been discussing requirements for a dog for 12 months. I didn't want anything too large, like a Rotty or a GSD. She would have loved something that big or larger. But, for me, it made no sense with travel etc., to have something so big. On the other hand, neither of us wanted a SWF or anything too small.

Travel is the reason I don't want a huge dog. Though, I do like quite alot of the larger breeds but for the moment at least, it really isn't an option for us. We've been researching breeds for over a year trying to find one that is suitable and that we agree on. We always seem to come back to the corgi.

After losing our beautiful Australian Shepherd boy a few weeks ago, I went for a wander at a dog show to see what other breeds appealed to me. Kind of figured I might as well get something other than an Aussie but nup, nothing else measured up.

Looks like it will be another Aussie.

I wanted a short haired medium sized dog to do dog sports. I also have a preference for 'natural' looking dogs with pricked ears, long tails and moderate build. Kelpies weren't on the list initially as I wasn't sure I was up for that much activity. Got Zoe from the pound, BIG learning curve :laugh: but now I wouldn't get anything else :thumbsup: I had also always wanted a GSD but had to wait til I was in a position to get a big dog before getting Diesel, but have now found I think Kelpies suit me (and my sports choice) better.

I love their intensity, their drive, their love of work, always ready to do something with you, their intelligence, agility and of course their appearance.

My mother in law has a couple of kelpies and they're fantastic dogs they always seem happiest when they're working. :D

I didn't really put any thought into the breeds I've got now my parents bought me a chi when I was a kid so I was already attached to them when I saw my little boy in the pet shop so came home with him. A few years later same pet shop red husky caught my eye so I took him home too. Then I was looking for a little dog for my parents and saw Lulu on the rescue pages here she is a Swedish vallhund and appealed to us because she looked so much like a lovely bitsa we had for many years. She is now with me for a while as my mum has trouble keeping up with things after dad passed away last year and so I am looking for a very special home for her :)

I am very keen on white shepherds and would love to have one of those next, while I love huskies, chis and SVs I think I will try the WS as they really appeal to me :)

I can't tell you exactly why I wanted a Labrador growing up. All I can put it down to was the girl who lived around the corner had a Golden Retriever who just looked like so much fun to take out on walks and all I had was a maltese at home who while a lovely dog, wasn't the same kinda fun that the GR was in my eyes (still have the maltese btw! She's 17 now).

I wanted my own bigger dog, but I must have seen Labs somewhere and decided that Labs were for me over the GR, which is strange because I always liked long haired breeds over short. Parents wouldn't let me get one.

Fast forward to adulthood, I finally got my Labrador after 10+ years of adoring them for no specific reason, except I liked them.

Now I won't go a day without a Labrador or two in my life! They just suit me perfectly. Love their love of life, exhuberance, intelligence, ready to go if I am but equally as happy to lay around with me, friendly, not generally a "noisy" breed, and they visually appeal to me. I think I just got lucky that the breed I obsessed over for many years for no reason I can think of except "I liked them", turned out to be the best fit for me, and I want moooooooore of them!!!

Edited by RubyStar

I grew up with fox terriers both smooth and wire, but it was love at first sight when I met my first lakeland terrier. A few months later we bought our first lakie jess tiger home, then went back to the breeder 6 months later and got her brother my billy. I love the personality of terriers and will always have them as part of my life.

With my Siberian it was a breed that appealed to us, they just have an 'air' to them IMO, I find them so naturally likeable.

With my beagle we wanted a dog that would keep up with Mish but was smaller. I got more than I bargained for though :laugh:

My next dog will be a working line English Springer, it has taken me a long time to decide on my next breed but WL ESS tick every box I have - size, temperament, coat, drive etc :)

Edited by huski

I grew up with German Shepherds, then while we still had the GS I got a long Haired Chihuahua, then a Papillon, then came the Bichons, we ended up with 4 over the years 2 girls, 2 boys, our last boy died from a stroke last year at 15.1/2 yrs of age, Got my 1 st Tibetan Terrier in 1994 and started showing him when he was 15 months old, he absolutely loved the show ring, so we thought we would get another to show, but the next boy didn't like showing, so he was desexed and became a lounge lizard, all in all we ended up with 11 of them and only 2 who were interested in showing, and one liked obedience, the others just loved the relaxed life of leisure. Only have 4 Tibetan Terriers left now, and the oldest one was 15 yrs old on Wednesday. A very addictive breed.

If you want a best mate, who can have great conversations with you - who will guard you with thier life, but does need you to love grooming - you can't go past a Collie Rough. They will go everywhere you do (with impeccable manners). They help around the house (ours can weed, tidy up, put the chooks to bed etc). They have better time keeping than a Rolex and will keep you on schedule every minute of the day. (You had better really really like a regimented schedule). They will even keep you warm at night better than any hot water bottle. They will also ensure you don't miss your fitness program. They don't accept any excuses (too tired, hot, windy, wet, cold, etc).

My best mates in the world.

I also love my greyhounds. They are "velcro dogs" attached to your leg at all times. They also love nothing better than lying on/with you - on the sofa, on the bed, on the floor................

They are terrific "pig out" mates - helping you dispose of any trace of snack foods, ice cream, crumbs, you name it. They are also good for keeping wildlife out of your vegetables and fruit paddocks. Eternally grateful to you for rescuing them - they make you feel like the best person in the world every day.

My next breed (as well as Collies and Grey's - not instead of) will be Samoyeds. I hear they are almost a Collie / Grey mix. Love exercise, but love being inside with you watching TV. Love protecting the home, but gentle with other animals who belong here.

Have a terrific sense of humour and can enjoy a good laugh.

I can't wait.

Colliehound

we had a rotti and after he passed we looked for another til we saw the price of them :eek:

well we have a samoyed now LOL. a BREED i never evan knew much about. Until i did one of those pedigree puppy finder question things on the internet. :rofl:

and was like what a samyoed?? reserched it and now we have one. he is testing sometimes but is a great dog.

I grew up with working kelpies and then cattle dogs.....and a beagle :laugh: I became involved in obedience and agility with the family cattle dog and I had her for 17 years. She was superb - gentle, athletic, incredibly quick and willing to pick up what I wanted her to do - which was just as well because I was a crap trainer!

When Dolly died I realised I couldn't have another ACD for fear of comparing them. I love elegant looking dogs and I really wanted a training challenge. I was attracted to Golden Retrievers, Irish Setters - many of the Gundogs actually, but I couldn't settle on a breed. A work colleague told me about her 2 Dalmatians. But I told her they were too stupid to train for competition :eek::rofl::o She gave me a good tounge lashing and then gave me the phone number of her breeder. I clicked with the breeders straight away and waited 2 years for a puppy. I have now learned just how smart Dallies are. Just the training challenge I was after, we trial in obedience and agility - Ziggy keeps me honest :D

Em is a simpler story. A DOLer was looking for someone to handle one of her working line Labs in a retrieving trial. After some training and a few trials I was completely hooked and finally decided that my next pup would not be another Dally but a gundog. I was offered a working lab pup but was after something a bit smaller and softer to fit in with Ziggy, the cats and Mr TSD. I have always loved Springers and mentioned this to my DOLer friend over a glass of wine. She educated me about the working line ESS and steered me towards a wonderful breeder. Em is a perfect fit for us although her intensity is not for everyone. She is training for retrieving, obedience and agility.

I'm not sure what will be next (not for a while!)....I'm a dreadful "breed tart" but I love my current breeds, chalk and cheese that they are :)

Em is a perfect fit for us although her intensity is not for everyone.

TSD seeing a video of little Em was what made me first look seriously into the breed :love: Simply amazing dogs and I can't wait to have one :)

I've found that a lot of breeds that appeal to me on paper, in pics and from DOL, don't hold quite the same appeal once I see them in the flesh. And then I keep veering back to group 5 dogs and in particular the collie breeds, then I look at them and think I might as well get another Aussie!

I've found that a lot of breeds that appeal to me on paper, in pics and from DOL, don't hold quite the same appeal once I see them in the flesh. And then I keep veering back to group 5 dogs and in particular the collie breeds, then I look at them and think I might as well get another Aussie!

Very true Gayle! There have been a couple of breeds I admired on paper but in reality weren't enamoured with once I met some in person.

ESS on the other hand... :love:

Em is a perfect fit for us although her intensity is not for everyone.

TSD seeing a video of little Em was what made me first look seriously into the breed :love: Simply amazing dogs and I can't wait to have one :)

You will have fun! But it will be a shock to the system....they wake up "in drive" :laugh: You will need to put a little more training into the "off switch"....oh, and they seem to think they are lap dogs :D

I may be going off topic, but I've always loved those posts where DOLers have come across a breed that was never for them (so they believed :) ).

BUT that particular dog won them over. And now they're a 'converted' owner.