How'd You Choose Your Breed?

Stack

Definately consider the GAP dogs. Many are still pups - so don't let that put you off.

Just remember that with a Grey, you will have a BIG lap dog and will never do anything on your own again. (including a shower). He is my study buddy.............hmmm

The responses to this thread reminded me of the only other breed that we discussed that we both agreed on, which is a greyhound, we considered adopting one through GAP. I don't know what happened to this idea to be honest, maybe something to think about again. :laugh: Though, I think we'd prefer a dog as a pup rather than an older one. :)

post-25223-0-54392900-1311990480_thumb.jpg

Edited by colliehound

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I had a miniture poodle and an ACD growing up. The poodle didnt really appeal to me so they were struck off my list. Jessie the ACD was too special to me so I could never see me owning another ACD without comparing. My OH had dobes and ACD's growing up and really wanted another ACD.

We ended up adopting a dobe that unfortuately we had to PTS due to behaivoural/neurological issues. So unfortunately they also got pinged off the list.

Ive always liked big "boofy" dogs so our next dog was a pup from the RSPCA. He was listed as mastiff x rottie. I thought "perfect, he'll be huge!"

Brembo looks to be a staffy x lab, and at 30kg and about knee height is more of a medium dog to me. He is my heart dog and I love him to bits but its kinda ironic that he turned out to look more like 2 of the breeds that Im not the hugest fan of (SBT's and Labradors).

When we wanted to add a female companion to our household, OH was still set on an ACD. I really did not want one. So I started researching breeds of dogs that I had really liked growing up. One of the dogs that I adored when I was a kid was a family friends RR cross. He was a gentle giant. So I researched RR and showed OH. He liked the look of them so we started looking for a pup. Came across a litter on the trading post, rang her and she had 2 females in the litter, they were keeping one to run on and the other was available. Turns out she was a registered breeder (just not a great one!). After a bit of discussion, we put down a deposit for Sierra and 5 weeks later she was ours. The breeder also advertises on DOL and directed me here to look at photos of the parents. I read the RR thread from start to finish then joined up. After several months of reading and learning, we worked out that Sierra was not a good example of the breed nor was the breeder the most ethical.

My OH is now smitten with RR's and has said that he will always have a female (even though I have pointed out that our next one will look nothing like our current one).

I have fallen in love with Great Danes and after meeting some in the flesh they are definately my next breed to own. I am currently researching breeders and lines and the standard so that I can make a more educated choice when I am ready to buy a Great Dane (in approxiamtely 6-10 years).

I also love frenchies and bostons and have told OH even though he doesnt like small dogs he will just have to suck it up as I cant have cats as he is allergic to them (hey its my reasoning and Im sticking to it!!). So in later years I would love to add either one to the family.

I was absolutely set on getting a border collie, to the point of having started contacting breeders. Then my friend (Flick_mac) got a red-tri Australian Shepherd, and I hadn't heard of aussies before (and to my eyes then, they seemed similar to the BC), so I got online and googled them - and the first thing that popped up was a pic of a blue merle aussie - well I was taken!! I started researching aussies, and they just sounded like they would fit me perfectly - and they seemed a little bigger/chunkier then the BC, which was another thing that appealed to me. So then the new search started. I contacted a few breeders and got sent pics of Lottie as a baby - and I knew from those 2 pics she was mine - the rest is history!

Now i'm a little too obsessed with aussies and am already researching the next breeder for my next puppy - that'll be a couple years away yet. They fit with my lifestyle absolutely perfectly, and I can't think of another breed I want to own :D

First dog was a pet shop dog :o They told us he was Bichon Frise but looking back, he was clearly a poodle cross something and unfortunately died at an early age due to anaesthetic complications :(

Second dog I wanted a purebred did a lot of research and narrowed the list to Aussie shep, Toller or Brittany.

We needed a medium size family dog that was easy to train and fairly energetic but not over the top. There were no Toller or Brittany pups available at the time we were looking so we went wth an aussie who turned out to be one of the best dogs you could ask for and fitted in with us perfectly.

Current dog was only meant to be a temporary guide dog puppy, but when the opportunity came keep her forever I jumped at it. Labs were never a dog I had really considered to own but I am thrilled with Mindy, she is just perfect for me right now- energetic, fun, easygoing and loving and she's introduced me to and got me hooked on dog sports!

I feel all my dogs have come at the right time and been perfect dogs for that time.

We wanted a small dog, due to yard and fences. I didn't want a dog that needed lots of grooming and I didn't want a dog that fell into the SWF category ( though I'd love a TT).

So, our options were Boston or Frenchie. We prefered the bulk of the Frenchie and are now owned by 2 of them.

Our thoughts were very similar to spanky, we wanted a smallish dog with a smooth or short coat, not a SWF, and something with a bit of character but also a temperament suitable for a first time dog owner. We now have a beautiful Boston Terrier :D

The responses to this thread reminded me of the only other breed that we discussed that we both agreed on, which is a greyhound, we considered adopting one through GAP. I don't know what happened to this idea to be honest, maybe something to think about again. :laugh: Though, I think we'd prefer a dog as a pup rather than an older one. :)

Greyhound rescues do sometimes have pups. ;)

Greyhound rescues do sometimes have pups. ;)

Something to consider :D

I was asked to let our Tibetan Spaniel girl be the 'small dog' tester for GAP. Which brought me & her up close & personal with greyhounds. These greys had come from good backgrounds in the racing industry & I saw the booklets detailing all their vet maintenance.

We both finished up besotted with these lovely dogs. In fact, I asked GAP was it a problem that my small dog liked them too much. Answer was 'no', because she just had to be there & then go into a number of test walks, trots & runs, with the greys in different positions.

The greys' natures were so even, sweet & sensible. There's a gentle but strong dignity that these dogs have which gladdens your heart. Yep....I'm raving! :)

I'd go home & say, 'Well, I met the best one today!' Until next time, when I'd meet the best one....again. :)

Only problem was that my Tibbie would get upset at the end of the test, when her new 'friend' would be put into another car to go home. :) Dogs are good judges of character!

I can't recommend the GAP greyhounds too highly.

I adopted my rescue Greyhound as a pup. :)

Most of my dogs have been foster failures or dogs that just landed on me. I love Great Danes but after losing two at very early ages, I won't own another one. Since adopting Pia, I will always have a Greyhound. She is my heart dog and I just love her to bits. I love working breeds but don't have time for another one now. My next dog will be another sighthound or a poodle. :)

how easily do greyhounds travel? When we get a dog we'd like to be able to take it with us on holidays. (we only ever go to my inlaws house. Which is about four hours away)

Edited by Stack

Normally very good. Many ex racers are well used to lots of travel. The fosters I've had have always loved going in the car and sleep happily.

And, as I helped derail this thread a little... :o I thought I'd answer the original question. :D

I met a Borzoi when I was 10 - out the front of my school. He ever so gently stood up on my shoulders, looked down into my face and then hopped down and walked off gracefully with his lady owner. I was hooked. Spent my childhood and teenage years searching out pictures and information in every dog book I could find.

I love reading these stories!

After my Daisy (staffy x) went earlier this year, I couldn't bear the thought of another 'quirky' little dog. So, to help ourselves move forward, we started researching what sort of dog we would have next. I would love a GAP greyhound, but OH didn't, he grew up with working labs in England and after finding the right puppy, Matilda came to live with us. We love her to bits and she is totally different, such a boofhead! :) As someone mentioned earlier though...the hair!!! It drives me crazy...and OH is already talking about another one!! :eek:

When I was little, my parents bought two vizsla pups. I bonded very strongly with one of them, she was my girl. So when OH and I got together and he was making noises about another dog to keep his kelpie company I talked him into another Vizsla. By pure luck a litter was coming up sired by my old girl's dad. So now I have two half siblings. If this litter hadn't of come up, I think we'd have ended up wth a whippet or a smaller dog... OH wants a foxie next.

We love giant sighthound breeds but found it hard to cope with the short life span so we looked for a very healthy natural breed. We found a Finnish Lapphund breeder on DOL with a litter and she was so nice, friendly and helpful we didn't look any further ! Our Lappie is just adorable !

However I think we will also always have at least one bitsa rescue

The two we currently have are rescues. With Bertie no planning at all and not the type of dog we every thought we would come home with - he is a Pap x Pom and came home with us as it was Christmas eve and it just seemed wrong that such a sweet little dog had been mistreated and discarded. We had only called in to the vets to wish everyone a merry christmas and came home with young Bertie.

We also have Katie our grey who has been with us for a few months now. She is a lovely dog and we will get another grey when we are ready for another dog. She is just perfect for us at this stage in our lives. Katie is happy with a half hr walk each day plus charging around the yard like a loon with tiny Bertie a couple of times a day. I have recently been ill and could not take her for her walks which worried me - it really didn't seem to matter she and Bertie just did more chasing around the yard to make up for it. Katie was planned - we had been wanting a grey for some time. She is gentle and sweet and gets on well with our cats and Bertie. Requires little grooming though loves her brushes so she gets one every day, doesn't really seem to have a doggie odour. Travels well in the car. Rarely barks but has barked defensively when she was concerned about something going on which surprised the heck out of me as I didn't expect it from a sighthound. She is a rescue so does have some issues we are working through but nothing serious and certainly nothing that make her a problem to own.

We have always had working or gun dog breeds so Katie was a change for us but the right one. I had meet some beautiful companion greys in my teens/early twenties and the breed has always interested me so over the years have always taken the time to talk to companion grey owners I met. After we lost our last ACD and were starting to think of adding another dog to our family it seemed like the right time for a grey. We did want one that was small dog and cat friendly so we had to wait for the right dog to come along. My OH initially had some reservations about greys joining our family but has fallen for Katie's charms amd agrees for now they seem to be just the perfect breed for us.

Its interesting to hear why everyone likes their respective breeds so much! and I know the pain of not being able to decide on breeds, lol. OH wanted to get an Irish Wolfhound or a Pharoah Hound, which isn't suitable for us due to our fencing not being appropriate and our car being to small should we want to take the dog with us on holidays. lol, then OH said he likes Dalmatians and Whippets, which I honestly don't know too much about but most of the Whippets i've met have been quite timid so I wouldn't think appropriate with children. Corgi's I know, so its easy for me to say yes corgi, and the fur doesn't bother me at all, OH fell in love with my parents Corgi so thats why he has agreed to a Corgi as well. :) I really am fond of most of the spitz breeds, I would love a Finnish Lapphund but OH said no. lol

You need to meet more Whippets. A well bred Whippet should not be timid. I know Howie isn't and he loves kids.

Agreed PF mine live with two young kids and you couldn't get a more perfect dog to have around kids.

I had always had bigger dogs and guardian breeds, Rotti's and Dobes.

A friend had a litter of Staffords and after much thought, we got Brutus who really has had some rather large and ongoing issues and while still going at 14 we would not have another.

When My last Dobe died, quite suddenly and young, I decided that another Dobe was not for me. I now had a young child and was pregnant again and I did not have the time to devote to a Dobe. I had been through a couple of Dobe puppies and knew just how much training and work they required to shape them into a well adjusted and trained adults.

I wanted a smaller dog, a dog that didn't guard, I wanted a mainly inside dog (the Dobes were mainly outside) and a breed that was generally known to be good around kids.

I had a short list and struck them off over time for various reasons. I wanted an athletic dog, low shedding could do some training and agility and quite biddable, oh and liked to be close to it's humans.

I ended up deciding a Whippet was the best choice, they had everything I wanted and I had always loved they way they looked. I had my name down for a litter at least 12 months in the future when the kids were more grown up, but Rommi became available. She came to live with us and to say they are the perfect fit (and we now have 2!) would be an understatement. Although I did grump at them to leave me alone when I tried to go to the toilet by myself the other day!!!

OH likes chunky monster, squishy faces so would like a French Bulldog or a Pug. He also likes the look of the Bully. We will see what the future brings :)

Edited by OSoSwift

I grew up with Dobermans and a GSD. I just love Dobermans, and have not yet found any other breed that stacks up... I probably will own other breeds, but I can't imagine not being around Dobers :) They are so great...

- Easy to train

- Intelligent

- Biddable

- They seem serious when you don't know them, but are total goofballs around their family

- Loyal and aloof with strangers

- Big time snugglers

- Medium size

- Very short minimal shedding coat

- Velcro... I love a dog that loves knowing what I am up to, going to the toilet alone is lonely hahaha

- Not messy/dribbly

- Gorgeous looking, so sleek and athletic...

I had always had bigger dogs and guardian breeds, Rotti's and Dobes.

A friend had a litter of Staffords and after much thought, we got Brutus who really has had some rather large and ongoing issues and while still going at 14 we would not have another.

When My last Dobe died, quite suddenly and young, I decided that another Dobe was not for me. I now had a young child and was pregnant again and I did not have the time to devote to a Dobe. I had been through a couple of Dobe puppies and knew just how much training and work they required to shape them into a well adjusted and trained adults.

I wanted a smaller dog, a dog that didn't guard, I wanted a mainly inside dog (the Dobes were mainly outside) and a breed that was generally known to be good around kids.

I had a short list and struck them off over time for various reasons. I wanted an athletic dog, low shedding could do some training and agility and quite biddable, oh and liked to be close to it's humans.

I ended up deciding a Whippet was the best choice, they had everything I wanted and I had always loved they way they looked. I had my name down for a litter at least 12 months in the future when the kids were more grown up, but Rommi became available. She came to live with us and to say they are the perfect fit (and we now have 2!) would be an understatement. Although I did grump at them to leave me alone when I tried to go to the toilet by myself the other day!!!

OH likes chunky monster, squishy faces so would like a French Bulldog or a Pug. He also likes the look of the Bully. We will see what the future brings :)

You've def made me see whippets differently. The only thing that I didn't like about the breed was the timidness of the ones I'd met and I worried about it growing up with two boisterous boys (and planning on adding one more human baby to the mix at some point in the future). I hope to meet some less timid whippets in the future. :)