Weave Poles

My project for the rest of the year is to teach my dog to weave. I've started her on 2x2 at an agility club but we haven't progressed very far mostly due to my lack of practice! But I have time now and want to get some poles for training at home. I'm not ready to buy the full on metal based 2x2 poles and have been looking around at different inexpensive options. I was told today about some plastic based sets that you can buy but after extensive googling I haven't found them, does anyone know of these?? I would love some options, I will probably start with stakes in the ground but my girl is a little nuts and I forsee problems with knocking these over!

I bought a bunch of narrow PVC pipe and elbow joins this morning to make jumps, but they could probably be used to make weaves too? (http://www.ehow.com/how_4860596_make-pvc-weave-poles.html). The pipe was $2.38 each, 20mm, just over a metre long at Bunnings. Not sure how much the elbow joins were, but not much.

I had previously maade some temporary weave poles in the backyard from leftover bamboo stakes I had for staking tomatoes etc, but I didn't use them for a while and one by one they turned into chew toys :laugh:

I looked at those plastic sets but the spacing was different to competition spacing so I decided not to get them. I figured the footwork on 50cm gaps would be quite different to on 60cm gaps. I would be interested in hearing how others have gone transferring from 1 size gap to another though - did you lose speed/reliability? I would like some nice lightweight free standing 1s. Mine are bang in the ground so a pain to set up and pack up.

I used the plastic ones from topbuy to teach Lottie her 2x2s as the come undone at the bottom, and really work well!! And she also had no trouble at all with the change of gaps - it's probably easier for her due to them being a little bigger! This was her 2nd time through a set of 12!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7nQOhutkyI

http://www.topbuy.co...-Dog-p31603.htm

They're on special at the moment as well. They do move a bit, and obviously not as good as a metal base, but I found them ALOT better then using posts. I would lend you mine, Seita, but I just leant them to a friend!! I will see how long she needs them, but you're more then welcome to borrow them after her :)

Edited by LuvLottie

You can buy the plastic base ones at topbuy.com.au

I used these to train the 2x2 method. Worked well :thumbsup: Th set folds up into a bag, so so you can just move/bend the base into position for the 2x2 and take out some poles.

I looked at those plastic sets but the spacing was different to competition spacing so I decided not to get them. I figured the footwork on 50cm gaps would be quite different to on 60cm gaps. I would be interested in hearing how others have gone transferring from 1 size gap to another though - did you lose speed/reliability? I would like some nice lightweight free standing 1s. Mine are bang in the ground so a pain to set up and pack up.

I did see those on ebay and wondered if that was what the person I was talking to today meant and I also wondered about the gap difference? I too would be interested in hearing if people noticed anything from switching between different spacings???

If you can train a dog for 50cm, it'll handle 60cm gaps easy. I"m not a fan of the 'add a pole' method of weaves, but set up six or twelve and just guide them through it (on lead) til you see their body learning to bend. Yes it takes a bit, but it works and works well. Have had many of my students over the years win weave comps with this method.

(I never used the bendy guides either, or the poles that canter from side to side) Hence why PVC held in place by camping stakes has always worked for a cheap back yard alternative for poles.

I think spacing does make a difference to their footwork, rhythm through the poles and speed.

I have stick in the ground poles (from Clean Run) as well as solid base ones. Am thinking of also getting a proper 2x2 set when I train the next dog. The advantage to the metal base 2x2 is how easily you can rotate them.

You can buy the plastic base ones at topbuy.com.au

I used these to train the 2x2 method. Worked well :thumbsup: Th set folds up into a bag, so so you can just move/bend the base into position for the 2x2 and take out some poles.

I did see those on ebay and wondered if that was what the person I was talking to today meant and I also wondered about the gap difference? I too would be interested in hearing if people noticed anything from switching between different spacings???

I posted above, but I didn't notice much from switching between poles - if anything, Lottie was able to go faster and smoother with the whole set, but that might be because they're more solid as well.

I have not experienced any problems with the spacing difference. I think the plastic set are great for learning and ideal for the 2x2 method. However when when your dog has 'got it' and you want to work on speed they are not ideal.

My dog was not originally trained using the 2x2 method and she was really inconsistent. So I recently brough SG DVD and retrained her. She is going great. :thumbsup:

I am thinking I am going to have to invest in a metal base weave set soon so we can work on speed. Does anyone know where I can get a metal base weave set in Brisbane? And how much are they?

I myself believe that if your dog can weave it should be able to weave any spacing of poles it shows it understands the concept of what it means to weave..

I think that one of the top buy sets is a 55mm spacing which is correct for ADAA agility spacing Den does both ADAA and ANKC trials so swaps back and forward for spacing and he does fine...

Good luck Seita and if you want any help give us a shout out :) Im thinking of doing a weaving refresher before we head of to grandprix so will be starting 2x2s AGAIN lol

We started off with just the pvc ones on a pvc pipe base that you buy over the internet & they still come in handy (we have 2 sets) even though they are a different spacing, it doesn't seem to worry her. We then bought a full set of 2 x 2's on metal bases from a guy from up in Queensland that makes them, but they were poorly made & have fallen to bits...OH has had to re-weld them :o His seesaw was also a good 20cm out at the centre too..I think it was supposed to be offset by 20mm.

OH also made up a set of 12 that just stick in the ground & are handy for carting around in the car. Good training, cause they are just stuck in the ground at roughly 2 ft apart & fall at all angles, but she still does them.

I am not real sure, but I think Allison from Dunwurkn Border Collies makes agility equipment,for sale & it looks pretty sturdy & of good quality.

Edited by sheena

I am currently just using stakes in the ground which get carted around in my car. I use the recycled plastic type stakes from the hardware store and slip PVC pipes over the top. I cart around a mallet and hammer them into the ground pretty good. And I take along a tape measure so I get them straight and at the right distance apart :o

I used the plastic ones from topbuy to teach Lottie her 2x2s as the come undone at the bottom, and really work well!! And she also had no trouble at all with the change of gaps - it's probably easier for her due to them being a little bigger! This was her 2nd time through a set of 12!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7nQOhutkyI

http://www.topbuy.co...-Dog-p31603.htm

They're on special at the moment as well. They do move a bit, and obviously not as good as a metal base, but I found them ALOT better then using posts. I would lend you mine, Seita, but I just leant them to a friend!! I will see how long she needs them, but you're more then welcome to borrow them after her :)

Hi LL, They look pretty good. What are the bases made out of??? Metal or plastic & how tuff are they.

I went to bunnings and bought some materials to make my own stick in the ground type poles and the concept was fantastic until I realised that most of my yard is pretty much rock hard and even with a hammer I can't get the bloody stakes into the ground! LOL I've found one soft patch where I can fit four poles so that's what we're using until I can get around to buying or making some proper ones!

I have looked at the topbuy weave poles & I dont know if I should get the big ones or the small ones :confused:

We have Papillons & a Whippet, can anybody help me work out which ones would be better our guys are leaning Agility & will be competing when they are ready :D

I went to bunnings and bought some materials to make my own stick in the ground type poles and the concept was fantastic until I realised that most of my yard is pretty much rock hard and even with a hammer I can't get the bloody stakes into the ground! LOL I've found one soft patch where I can fit four poles so that's what we're using until I can get around to buying or making some proper ones!

Our ground is the same Seita :laugh: I have to go to the local oval to practice.

I have looked at the topbuy weave poles & I dont know if I should get the big ones or the small ones :confused:

We have Papillons & a Whippet, can anybody help me work out which ones would be better our guys are leaning Agility & will be competing when they are ready :D

Big ones the spacing I think is 55cm which is closer to ANKC standard of 600 :)

Big ones the spacing I think is 55cm which is closer to ANKC standard of 600 :)

Thanks Smisch :D I was thinking more the height, stupid me :banghead::dummy: should have looked more at the spacing.

I have made most of our equipment, A frame, broad jumps x2, hurdles x9, got my hands on a collapsible tunnel & a normal tunnel freebbbeee :clap: :clap: that was a good score

Got the materials for a seesaw & ramp, just have to put it together :grimace: