Red Dog

k9angel

I saw it tonight and loved it. Sad at times but it also had some good laughs. The star dog Koko was terrific. When I was a little kid my Grand-dad had a dog just like him called Trixie so I found it touching due to that as well.

Here's a little clip of one of Koko's screen tests :)

Edited by LabTested

love the kelpie beautiful dog, go aussie!!!!! :laugh:

he was in the studio apparently this morning at my fav radio station and he barked! he looks similar to my own boy who is a kelpie cross

Koko was shown for awhile here in Adelaide. Beautiful boy. Danny was very excited when Koko got the part.

Jr_inoz, 2 dogs are used for the role. Koko is not the one that you are thinking of. I am fairly sure Danny said his dog was not credited. But apparently if you know either of the dogs it is easy to pick who does what.

Koko was shown for awhile here in Adelaide. Beautiful boy. Danny was very excited when Koko got the part.

Do you know Koko's owner, JR? I've heard that the producer was so over the moon about the dog that he bought him.

Jr_inoz, 2 dogs are used for the role. Koko is not the one that you are thinking of. I am fairly sure Danny said his dog was not credited. But apparently if you know either of the dogs it is easy to pick who does what.

Cheers Piper - last time I talked to Danny we were talking about the movie - so figured it was his boy. Haven't seen the film yet.

Do you know Koko's owner, JR? I've heard that the producer was so over the moon about the dog that he bought him.

Hey Raz - see above. I've met Danny who owned one of the dogs used in the movie. His dog is beautiful and wonderfully trained. But is probable that the dog that the producer is over the moon about is a different dog. I didn't know there were two used in the movie.

Thanks JR. Just a curiosity question - I think it's great when a film crew/film crew member falls inlove with the animal actors. I've heard a few times that the dog was bought but wanted to clarify.

I was at herding training today and a kelpie breeder and good friend of Danny;s was there. I was going to ask her more info but forgot. She knows Dustan well and is the 1 that said she could pick the different dogs when she watched it.

If I recall correctly 1 was used more for still work and promo stuff (I guess that would be Koko?) and the other for the more active stuff, I guess similar to a stunt double for people.

I got quite upset just reading the wikipedia page on red dog a few years ago :( I'm sure the movie will crush me.

I do wonder though whether this will be positive or negative for kelpies generally. They might get some more being rescued, but will they go to suitable homes? Will BYB's breed more to cash in on the kids nagging about wanting a 'red dog'? Hmmmm.....

I haven't seen the film but I have read the book. From what I remember of it, Red Dog was a scavenger and had a horrible flatulence problem. Maybe that will be enough to stop parents from being willing to buy a "red dog" for their kids.

Will BYB's breed more to cash in on the kids nagging about wanting a 'red dog'?

i would think so ... :( the newest 'fad'

I really doubt it. :laugh: While the dog in the movie is clearly well-trained and has learned a lot of tricks - his character is not that kind of a dog. He's not a desperate to please, biddable dog - he's very much his own person, a bit mysterious - does his own thing so the movie's not a long demonstration of his trick-ability. On top of that, I love Kelpies and I think Koko is gorgeous, but Red Dog (like all Kelpies) is just a very doggy looking dog. He's not 'cute' or 'odd-looking', you don't get more 'ordinary/average' dog-looking than a Kelpie so it would be very surprising if Kelpies suddenly became all the rage as a result of this movie.