Selling Puppies

Poodle Mum

My first time posting in here.....I have just whelped my first litter under my own prefix for 15years.

Does anybody else email questionires for prospective owners & request that they are completed & returned.

I have just been hammered over the phone by somebody that first contacted me 4wks ago. He requested a dog & I told him that they were not avail. for breeding etc etc....

Today he tells me " You don't anyone to breed with your line except for you, what is wrong with me"

Tells me " My questiionaire is juvenile and the questions are too personal eg. Its done of my business if they have children or if they have owned a dog before"

My rant is over....but I feel terrible :(

I don't have a formal questionnaire, but I do have standard questions that I ask people - not always formally, but often just worked into general conversation :)

Your puppies, your questions. If he doesn't like them, then he's free to go and look elsewhere, it's as simple as that. You have to be satisfied that the home is a good one, and you need to gather whatever information you need to gather to be able to make that decision.

Among other things, I always ask about the family situation (children, housing, dog accommodation, other family members who will interact with the pup), and also about their previous experience with both our breed and with dogs in general - so yes, the same sort of questions you were asking. I don't consider those questions to be too personal at all, and if I had anyone come back telling me that my questions were juvenile and too personal, then they would be told that they weren't suitable and to look elsewhere.

Edited by Allerzeit

Don't feel bad... there is no point, there will always be people like that.

I have a "puppy application" on my website, however if someone calls me, I generally just ask them some questions, then if I like the sound of them, ask them to then fill out an application so I have it on file.

I've got a litter planned for later on this year and everyone who has contacted me gets the same questionaire. It's amazing how many dodgy people it's weeded out already!

And those who don't send it back proove to me they arn't actually interested so much as tire kicking.

And on the plus side it's already found me four wonderful puppy buyers.

I don't have a formal questionnaire, but I do have standard questions that I ask people - not always formally, but often just worked into general conversation :)

Your puppies, your questions. If he doesn't like them, then he's free to go and look elsewhere, it's as simple as that. You have to be satisfied that the home is a good one, and you need to gather whatever information you need to gather to be able to make that decision.

Among other things, I always ask about the family situation (children, housing, dog accommodation, other family members who will interact with the pup), and also about their previous experience with both our breed and with dogs in general - so yes, the same sort of questions you were asking. I don't consider those questions to be too personal at all, and if I had anyone come back telling me that my questions were juvenile and too personal, then they would be told that they weren't suitable and to look elsewhere.

I'm the same as you Allerzeit...I will usually ask all my questions during the first telephone conversation, I will then give the person the opportunity to ask me questions too. I try & make the conversation feel informal & friendly, so as not to make the person feel intimidated (I think this approach makes the person feel more relaxed & they tend to open up more about themselves.)

If anyone gets offended by my questions that's fine.. they are free to look elsewhere.

Like you said I have to make sure I'm placing my puppies in homes that I am happy with...so I need to gather information to enable me to make that decision. :)

Sorry your feeling bad Poodle Mum...don't let this person get you down, I'm sure there are a lot more puppy buyers out there that will be more than happy to answer your questions to get one of your precious babies. :)

We have a Puppy Enquiry Form on our website that asks all of the pertinent questions.

If I get a form, I'll ring the people and have a talk with them - it's amazing to me that some people lie on the form and then cant even keep their lies straight when I ring them!

I think that the form helps to separate some of the chaff from the wheat. :thumbsup: I ask the same questions if someone rings me and I always ask them to complete the form too for my records.

Dont feel bad that you have asked a prospective buyer questions that will help you decide the fate of your puppies. That's your responsibility and obligation as a breeder. If a prospective objects to that due diligence, maybe they have something to hide?

You are better off without them. :mad

I think a puppy form/questionnaire is a waste of time. People soon learn to answer in the way you want to hear, especially after a few rejections.

Re the rude/breeding person at least they came straight out with it & you know, some say anything even I have a widowed mother & she needs a little friend & then you find what they really want, if you are lucky.

Your pups can be bred from anyway if they go on limited register, not desexed it can breed.

Just no registered pups so from a welfare view what difference ?

General chatting & throwing a few questions in like

Have you had a poodle before ? Yes, oh good so you know all about them & their grooming requirements, how long did you have your last one for, or similar.

No, oh ok well I will tell you about them & you can have a think about it all.

Poodle are a people dog now do you have young children or are you out at work all day.

Will you be leaving your dog outside when you work ?

You don't need to do the inquisition on the first contact, just gradually sneak it all in & you will get an idea of what they are like.

Sorting out their new homes & owners is the worst part. I hate it & I have met some lovely people who really have give them great homes & kept contact however I do desex before they go.

Edited by Christina

I have an online form that I require people to fill out when enquiring for a puppy.

It just gives me a rough idea on things, and I can then contact them for more in depth information. I also print them out & keep on file as a point of reference. I've added more questions over time as I think of them so it's still a work in progress.

Here is the link, feel free to check it out. :D

Eishund Puppy Enquiry Form

Thanks so much for all your replies. I to hate dealing with the "people part"

I hate the assumption that people seem to think "you have a puppy to sell they have the money...its theirs to have! " I realise its not that blunt, but thats how it feels. I do explain to them that there is no puppy picking until 6-8weeks when I have chosen my pup. People just don't seem to listen! They just don't have to be soooo rude!

You are right Christina plenty of "oodles" have been made with dogs on the limited register.

Thanks again

I use a form for a few reasons, I am shocking at remembering things people have said to me, especially over the phone, a lot of the details on the form then get used to filling out the paperwork when the pups go (plus their postcode can be checked as valid and google earth shows the type of house/garden) and I can print it out and recap who the person is who is coming to see the pups, so we can chat about previous pets they have had and anything else on the form that I 'flag' if this hasn't been metioned earlier.

If someone reacts like the puppy person in the OP, then it does't bother me, just one more less desirable home for a pup.

Most of my contacts initally start from email. I refer them to complete a application form which is on our website.

This way get a idea from that what people are after, if our dogs would suit that type of living arrangements and if we have something suitable we tend to follow up with a phone call. We have a right to ask questions, looking out for the better interest of the dogs welfare.

I have a form that I send out. As well as the general stuff some of the questions are about breed specific 'issues' that the prospective may encounter to make sure they have actually considered them and to get them thinking how they will deal with them. I have had positive feedback from those who have filled it out. It gives them things to think about and also highlights things we can discuss further. I always tell them there are no 'wrong answers' with the questionnaire and that I am happy to help them fill it out if they need. I find that those who don't want to do it are not the type of people I want to sell a pup to anyway. It does tend to significantly reduce time wasters.

My first time posting in here.....I have just whelped my first litter under my own prefix for 15years.

Does anybody else email questionires for prospective owners & request that they are completed & returned.

I have just been hammered over the phone by somebody that first contacted me 4wks ago. He requested a dog & I told him that they were not avail. for breeding etc etc....

Today he tells me " You don't anyone to breed with your line except for you, what is wrong with me"

Tells me " My questiionaire is juvenile and the questions are too personal eg. Its done of my business if they have children or if they have owned a dog before"

My rant is over....but I feel terrible :(

Poodle Mum do not feel bad,point them in our direction to get a recuse dog,then they willreally get the third degree. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Think I would just go.... next....!!!!

People like that bug me, I used to have a like 25 questions that i would send to the puppy buyer, if they didnt answer or reply then I would go to the next person, or if they didnt put suitable answers either.