Your Opinions - Biting....

BC Love

Just after a few opinions please :)

This morning my 8yr old son threw a toy for my 18 wk old Border collie pup - the pup came bolting back with the toy when my son had turned and crashed into his legs. My son fell full force on Roy who squealed and bit out and got my son on the chin. So I ended up with a shocked boy and a pooch squealing like he was being murdered. My son was grazed a little on the chin (Roy still has has razor puppy teeth) and Roy favored his leg for a bit but was fine about 5 minutes later (and a few minutes of squealing!!).

Ok, so this was fully supervised play (we have 4 young kids so supervision is very important!!) and in my eyes a this was a big accident. While Im not happy Roy snapped - I get it, he got really hurt, and the way he did it and afterward he seemed fearful not at all angry.

OH is of the opinion that Roy shouldnt have bitten full stop (even in this situation) - and is worried Im sticking up for him, in which I told him that that the kids are number 1 (2,3 & 4!!!!). And Roy, though he can jump and do silly puppy things, is really good with them, and shows no aggression with them in any situation - whether food, toys or anything involved.

So what is your opinion - bad puppy or unforunate accident? Or something else?

From what you've posted... definitely an instinctive reaction to the pain! (and remember puppies bones can crack very easily)

perhaps the kids would benefit from some simple rules ..like NO turning your back on Roy when he's playing ...Always finish a game properly..then leave .. play gently & quietly around Roy ...that sort of thing.

4 kids + a very active puppy! :worship: ;)

You may like to have read on THIS SITE all about safety with kids& dogs. There are pages especially for kids as well :) There are games listed HERE

Edited by persephone

Ah Ha! That was what I was trying to get across : instinctive reaction to the pain

Thanks for the link persephone - will check that out now. To tell you the truth I was so frustrated by this as Im so vigilent of how the children act around Roy (and how he acts around them!)- I felt like Id let the team down big time!!

Poor Roy & child. Very unfortunate accident. Excited child & very excited puppy, puppy gets a fright & hurt with child on top of him, lashes out in the moment.

BC love,I agree with persephone here. Teach your children how to play with Roy. golden rule no. 1, never to turn their back on Roy, especially when playing.

I never do with Stella even now at 8 months. Learn't that lesson the hard way.Nearly lost my nose before she was taught how to behave even when getting excited.

They are unpredictable. And if your kids are taught, sure have a good play with Roy but only for X amount of time. Don't let Roy become over excited. Finish the game before

Roy is ready to & tell him "good game", praise him.This are just a few things I have picked up.Other Dolers will be a wealth of info for you. Really glad you are fully

supervising your littley's. Things can get out of control in a second.

You certainly must have your hands full with small children as well. I am flat out with 2 furry kids :laugh:

Edited by BC Crazy

This reminds me of something that happened when we were kids. My brother came inside sporting a set of teeth marks across his ribs.

Brother: 'No, I didn't do anything to Shadow (the Dog - a BC too), he just bit me.'

Mum: 'Are you sure you didn't do anything to make him do that?'

Brother: 'Yes, he just bit me.'

Mum: 'OK, then the dog is going to have to be put to sleep.'

Brother 'Well, maybe I fell (6ft) off the slippery slip onto him and woke him up......'

Kids and dogs - it was an accident.

You might want to take the pup to the vet for a check up. Border collies are pretty tough little critters and if he squealed like that he might be hurt. They do tend to carry on even when injured.

Yes JulesP very good point & they so just keep going don't they? very resilient!

Some people think that a dog should never bite, no matter what the circumstances, & that if they do they are vicious or of unsound temperament.

Bit silly really because given a certain set of circumstances any dog can bite, almost wrote they are only human :laugh:

The pup snapped in pain & fright that's all, any dog could react this way. Even adult dogs that never bite can do it if something is really hurting them & it is being messed about with. Like the ones that bite the vet, just to make you look a liar, when you say this dog never bites anyone normally.

I worked at a shelter and there was a huge Rottie/Shepherd cross there, grew up from a small puppy into a young adult with no training. I didn't know how/what to do myself and brought in a trainer that the shelter used.

I knew the dog very well, he was a gentle giant, the sweetest man on the planet and that's why the shelter had kept him for so long.

The trainer was using harsh and punishing methods on this poor pup and in his terror at one point he swung round and bit my calf hard, but not hard enough to break the skin. He had been writhing and spinning round and I hadn't gotten out the way quick enough.

My calf was badly bruised and sore but in no way did I blame this dog. I knew him well. I had begged the trainer not to treat him so roughly and she kept going.

I know so much more now, she was an old fashioned trainer and he just reacted. This dog loved me, there's no way on earth he meant it.

Happily, he went to a home with a nice couple who were going to take him to training with kindness.

This was an entirely different situation from another dog who bit me there - a red cattle dog I was just walking along. Didn't pull the dog, didn't bump it, no other people/animals in sight, no sounds and the dog suddenly turned and bit me on the thigh - breaking the skin. I was terrified and screamed at him, walked back to the shelter in shock and showed them what he'd done. I really thought he was dangerously unpredictable (it wasn't the first time I'd walked the dog and he'd been fine the first time). To my horror, they rehomed him.