Following On From Huski's Prong Collar Thread

Staranais

Please read the options carefully :)  

147 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these describes you best:

• I support a prong collar ban AND I have tried a prong collar on myself
    • I support a prong collar ban AND I have NOT tried a prong collar on myself
    • I DON'T support a prong collar ban AND I have tried a prong collar on myself
    • I DON'T support a prong collar ban AND I have NOT tried a prong collar on myself

IMO ( and im no expert) if i had an issue i would rather use a halti than a prong it seems less severe to me.

I can comment on this from personal experience.

I had a Dane Foster turn up that had been on a Halter as she would get over stimulated and lunge at things that excited her.......she was at the Chiro every week and on pain killers because of the damage that was caused by her being on a halter +/- incorrect handling of the Halter.

If she were on a prong it would have been a different story, I ended up training her on a check chain because of the public dismay towards the prong I couldn't have re-homed her trained on one, which was a shame.

I have seen diffifult to manage Danes on Halters that make me cringle.

Those who actually understand the use of Prongs that are used correctly understand they are a more gentle tool than checking a dog on a check chain, I personaly have a dog that ends up with a red neck and brusing from a check chain and that's not from constant checking, yet on a prong there are no skin irritations or bruising (for us) because it is a more gentle tool because you don't have to apply hard corrections etc.

I wonder what people feel about the Neck Tech collars vs the Prong?

Neck_tech_2.jpg

Glad you put that pic up MEH - it is a much more appealing collar and perhaps it would make difference in some peoples views.

Q - I would "assume" the Neck Tech collar would have the much same affect (correct me if I am wrong I have never seen or held one) as a PP collar.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't support the ban and I have tried one on myself :)

Harry wasn't aggressive, or even particularly large, but I couldn't get him to walk on a loose lead. My fault. I tried a few things over a few years, the last being the halti. He would bolt when he saw it. A prong was the last resort and it was like power steering - just lovely. Instead of running away when he saw it, he would run towards it.

Glad you put that pic up MEH - it is a much more appealing collar and perhaps it would make difference in some peoples views.

Q - I would "assume" the Neck Tech collar would have the much same affect (correct me if I am wrong I have never seen or held one) as a PP collar.

Better i.m.o

Edited by MEH

The problem is not the people who know what they are doing, its the ignorant people you need to worry about...

Mason, what percentage of "ignorant" people do you think would be willing to spend $100+ on a prong collar for their dog? Let alone seek out a trainer/retailer who will actually sell them one?

The problem is not the people who know what they are doing, its the ignorant people you need to worry about...

Which is the same problem with all tools, I'd be much more concerned with the mis-use of a Halter than a Prong.

Which is the same problem with all tools, I'd be much more concerned with the mis-use of a Halter than a Prong.

I feel the same. I don't support the ban.

Yes. I've used both tools (not on my dogs).

I cringe when I see people mis use the tools (or any other training tool). I was at the park once and I had to show the guy how to fix his prong collar to fit it on his dog properly and put the check chain correctly on this other dog...

Edited by CW EW

It doesn't matter what any training tool feels like to me - the dog's perception is what's important as are scientific measures of welfare. It's very complicated but it could be done I think.

Hopefully some decent work will be done on all these tools in the next few years - fingers crossed ;)

I think education is much more effective than legislation but that also needs to start WAY before the need arises to use such tools as prongs, e-collars and haltis.

ETA: Personally I have no need for any of these tools and can't see that changing.

Edited by The Spotted Devil

I dont think i could ever use any of these collars but thats just me.

You might change your mind if you had a high drive dog or a dog with a behavioural problem ;)

Are you saying if you had a dog you couldn't train to walk on a flat collar, you just wouldn't take it out?

I would use a front leading harness over a halti (if you are not willing to use any other correctional tool). I've seen too many halti injuries and the way many people use them is not at all gentle.

The options don't include a person on the other end of a lead that's attached to the prong collar. And who is in charge of what happens to a dog that's wearing the collar. I'm with The Spotted Devil that it's the dog's perceptions that count.

Given the state of present knowledge & being open to any further evidence, I agree with the Australian Veterinary Association.

My vote is restricted use. Based on who that person is at the end of the lead & what qualifications they have in instructing and monitoring use.

In the meantime, I'm hoping for some decent scientific studies, too.

I didnt vote becuase I felt none of the options fitted.

I support the responsible use of prong collars. In theory I would support restriction of quite a few training tools- only allowed to use through and accredited trainer etc, but in reality I feel a lot of people wouldn't bother seeing a behaviourist and the dogs would suffer by being left in the backyard, dumped or euthanized.

I haven't tested a prong collar on myself but I have seen a number of dogs in them and had a session with a trainer where one was used on my dog. I did not feel it affected my dog or our relationship.

In all, it was a much more pleasant experience than the many dogs I have seen wearing haltis.

I agree that what we feel and what the dog feels is not always the same but I do think that a lot of people have a perception that prong collars are an evil torture device and trying one on themselves will help give them a better understanding of the tool and how it works.