Following On From Huski's Prong Collar Thread

Staranais

Please read the options carefully :)  

147 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these describes you best:

• I support a prong collar ban AND I have tried a prong collar on myself
    • I support a prong collar ban AND I have NOT tried a prong collar on myself
    • I DON'T support a prong collar ban AND I have tried a prong collar on myself
    • I DON'T support a prong collar ban AND I have NOT tried a prong collar on myself

I'm wondering how peoples' opinions about the proposed pinch collar ban correlates to level of experience people have with this training collar - I have my suspicions, but will be really interested to see if I'm correct or not.

I know there is no option for "undecided". That's deliberate since I'm more interested in people with definite opinions on the proposed ban. But if you're undecided, feel free to comment. :)

Edited by Staranais

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You repeated two options. Also, for those people, I don't think putting it on your leg is a logical way to be testing a prong collar. It goes around the dog's neck, not his leg. It's like punching yourself in the leg vs punching yourself in the neck, doesn't seem like a fair comparison to me? Anyways, just my thought.

Edited by Dju

You repeated two options. Also, for those people, I don't think putting it on your leg is a logical way to be testing a prong collar. It goes around the dog's neck, not his leg. It's like punching yourself in the leg vs punching yourself in the neck, doesn't seem like a fair comparison to me? Anyways, just my thought.

Yup, have fixed it. Thanks! :)

I'm not sure you can compare the two though? I would say the skin on the dogs neck is tougher than that on its leg - after all it's where dogs often bite and scruff each other. I think most dogs would be more sensitive on the skin on their legs than their neck?

I have tried one and I don't support the ban.

I also wanted to add that, prior to becoming a trainer myself, when I first heard about and saw a prong collar, pictured in an article written with heavy prejudice by a positive only trainer, I was horrified and was vehemently against them.

OK I just tried the prong collar on myself - Elbie and Hoover were very puzzled - also extremely disappointed that I put it on myself instead of them because they thought that they were going to get to go for a walk. :laugh: It was fine, didn't even leave a mark.

Tried one on myself, as hard as I could yank it, and I DO NOT support any ban.

The skin and muscle structure we have for our necks is a lot different to the sort of skin around a dogs neck.

I'll happily shake my dog around during play by scruffing him on and around his neck, I certainly would never do something like that to a person because it could damage them a lot easier.

Hmmm, noone yet who supports a ban, which makes the whole poll fairly meaningless. :laugh:

Perhaps this is the wrong forum for the question. I'm sure if I went into a general news forum & asked the same thing, I'd get more people supporting a ban (and probably far less people who'd tried or even seen a prong).

Also though, I tried to make the poll anonymous so that people wouldn't be afraid to vote even if they felt they had an unpopular opinion - can someone confirm that it is actually anonymous to vote?

I DONT support a ban.

I HAVE tried a prong collar on myself and put it on another person and popped it.

I regularly use a prong collar on my dog and will use one on my next dog if I feel the need.

A ban wouldn't change my opinion of these collars, nor would it stop me from using one if I needed to.

I don't see the point in comparing the prong collar to other tools and trying to determine which one will cause the least harm/pain, it's irrelevant really.

And I personally don't believe that the argument to ban prong collars in QLD has any real merit at all. Perhaps everyone is getting their knickers in a knot over nothing...?