Overweight Cav

cavvysavvy

Good morning all!!!!

I have a cav who now weighs 10.7kg and it has slowly been creeping up. He is not as active as he once was, especially winter, preferring to sleep in front of the fire. Moving into a house in the suburbs may not have helped either as he originally had 10 acres of backyard....

The problem is I dont seem to be feeding him much. I have had him on a diet for a few weeks now which consists of one meal of 2 chicken necks and a tiny handful or sprinkle of royal canin light food. Surely this is not too much?

Ok, I am trying to walk him more but am currently overdue to have a baby so not venturing far from home.

What else can I possibly do to get the weight off him?

Once bubs is here I plan on walking him lots everyday, but I am after some suggestions food wise.

I am desperate now and want him to lose around 2kg.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated :thumbsup:

get him medically checked out before you begin. no snacks inbetween and make sure the dog isn't eating someone elses meal like cat?? or other dogs. i always give mine a very tiny amount in their bowl and fill the rest up with milk but also make sure the meal is low fat no carbs like rice or pasta. i also don't give them a meal at night so they sit on it all night or sleep on it. try to feed them during the day or morning. once a day.

exercising every day for 10-15 mins may help too.

Edited by toy dog

He is not as active as he once was, especially winter, preferring to sleep in front of the fire. Moving into a house in the suburbs may not have helped either as he originally had 10 acres of backyard....

:) he will REALLY appreciate when you can go walking again !

Don't be fooled by the starving look in their eyes if you reduce the food.

ooops... I just went to add the above to my post then in a flurry of weird keystrokes the rest of what I wrote was deleted. I think my keyboard is possessed!

To summarise:

Try feeding no more than 2% of body weight

Dry food is apparently balanced so no need to add extra protein, therefore try feeding the chicken necks without the dry twice a week for teeth (maybe try a Turkey wing, which would be even better for teeth)

I found chicken to be quite fattening for my cavs so added reason to cut back on chicken necks.

Edited by Akay

All fantastic ideas thanks very much.

I think its just the change in lifestyle, we just got back from a 6km walk and I am the one who is suffering now, not him. He loves his walks.

I dont think he has a thyroid problem as he was not long ago checked. But its definately something Ill have checked out once I have this baby - currently overdue so not travelling too far at the moment and my vet is an hour away.

In the meantime Ill stick to the royal canin light??? Is this a good food for a dieting dog? And Ill slow up on the chicken necks a little as well?

To get weight off more quickly I don't feed any dry. A chicken neck twice a day with some veggies. Mashed pumpkin is good :)

Oh I like that idea, So stick to my 2 chicken necks per day (1 in morning and one at night) and how much pumpkin do you say?

To get weight off more quickly I don't feed any dry. A chicken neck twice a day with some veggies. Mashed pumpkin is good :)

Sounds like a good idea. I haven't fed dry for 7 years so I wouldn't have realised this, but it makes a lot of sense.