Mild Food Aggression In Puppy

Aztec Gold

Our pup is 8 weeks old and has mild food aggression. If we give him his dish of food, and then try to put our hands near it, he growls and snaps. Is this normal in pups? I'd hate to see what he is like with a bone!! Should we just try and hold his bowl while he eats? Or hand feed him? Or throw some treats in there or something?

I don't think this is normal behaviour for a 8 weeks old pup. Where did you get your pup from? But, this is a behaviour I will try to fix quick smart.

Contact Steve k9pro and talk to him about it but till then, I will suggest you give this a go..

Triangle of Temptation

Edited by CW EW

No you will want to nip this in the butt now before your dog is big enough to cause you damage....

Start off by not just giving him his food make him sit until he complies and then give him food.

when you give him food put it near your feet or a most a foot away from you and then stand then and watch him eat, no need to maintain eye contact but just be there with a relaxed and assertive attitude. Observe his attitude, if he growls say "NO!" to snap him out of it. The no needs to come across like you are in control and that you are the boss.

Triange of temptation is a fantastic training method!

Edited by Ali

:( I would say that's more than mild!

I would first up suggest that you seek professional advice,

Yes there are things you can try - however, if you're unsure ..things can go wrong.

There is some info in the following threads...

LINK

LINK

LINK

I wish you well .. and hope you can stop this quickly before it gets worse. The little tyrant!!

maybe pat him while he is eating,

I'm not sure on this one .. UNLESS puppy is relaxed and happy and not obsessing over its food .

Patting a puppy who is in this guarding mode is both rewarding and escalating the behaviour ... and risking a bite.

Thanks guys. I would love professional help but we are strapped for cash at the moment so I'd rather find a few ways of helping the problem now rather than later when we can afford it!!

Puppy is a golden retriever from a great breeder here in tassie. A few dol members have dogs from there too.

Thanks for the advice so far!!

maybe pat him while he is eating,

I'm not sure on this one .. UNLESS puppy is relaxed and happy and not obsessing over its food .

Patting a puppy who is in this guarding mode is both rewarding and escalating the behaviour ... and risking a bite.

Agreed, thats what I meant.

thanks

I wouldn't pat the pup if he is tense while he is eating either... too risky. You don't want to escalate that issue to a bite.

Maybe ask your breeder for some advice too.

ETA: Snap Perse beat me to it

Edited by CW EW

Haven't asked the breeder yet, might email in a minute. Hmm.. the one thing I didn't want in a pup and it happens lol. We have two young girls so we definitely need it fixed.

Will me sitting down holding the food bowl while he eats be beneficial at all? Or even dividing food into two bowls and switching occasionally?

No you will want to nip this in the butt now before your dog is big enough to cause you damage....

Start off by not just giving him his food make him sit until he complies and then give him food.

when you give him food put it near your feet or a most a foot away from you and then stand then and watch him eat, no need to maintain eye contact but just be there with a relaxed and assertive attitude. Observe his attitude, if he growls say "NO!" to snap him out of it. The no needs to come across like you are in control and that you are the boss.

Triange of temptation is a fantastic training method!

PLEASE DEAR GOD DO NOT DO THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What horrible advice.

You do not want to tell him off for growling, hes warning you atm with growling and snapping, you start telling him off at the wrong moment for growling and snapping, he may stop growling because hes afraid to, but that just means he will skip this step and go straight to biting you outright.

This is NOT about being the boss, hes a 8 week old puppy FFS, do you think he gives a crap about "dominance"?

I just put some kibble in his bowl and held onto it and added to it bit by bit and he was fine, no growling, just happy pup. Should I continue this for a bit each day? And do it with his dinner etc? He also takes his food rewards (just his kibble pieces individually) for training to sit and drop etc gently. Hmm..

I just put some kibble in his bowl and held onto it and added to it bit by bit and he was fine, no growling, just happy pup. Should I continue this for a bit each day? And do it with his dinner etc? He also takes his food rewards (just his kibble pieces individually) for training to sit and drop etc gently. Hmm..

How long have you had him for exactly? He is a new puppy in a new environment you have to remember.

Start with TIT immediately. Don't be taking his food off him or switching the bowls, this could make him anxious. Ie. You're doing what he is afraid of, taking his resource away.

Something I would do would be give him something pretty low value like biscuits, and whenever you approach, walk past in any way, drop a piece of higher value food next to him and the bowl. So get some mince, or chicken wings cut up, Pieces of raw meat that are much higher value and more delicious that biscuits.

This is saying, Hey every time mum walks past, come near me, I get MORE food, and its ever better!

That's a good start :)

make sure he sits before he eats, too ..and starts to eat when YOU say so ;)

Thanks guys! Will read in a minute! Will also do the walk past thing with some mince tonight! We have had him for a grand total of 3 nights lol!! He's such a delight in every other aspect, and he's only growled etc for 2 out of the 6 times he's been fed, and we can pat the top of his head while he eats, just not the sides near his mouth, hence why I said it was mild aggression.

Thank you :)

we can pat the top of his head while he eats, just not the sides near his mouth

Why do you pat your pup while it's eating.? .............. IMO there's no need to ...unless you have a sick pup or a scared one unwilling to eat in the presence of humans ....

Susan Garrett in her puppy peaks sessions addresses puppy food aggression. In the video she hand fed the pup then progressed to putting her hand in the bowl while feeding and then eventually progressed to giving puppy a bone and then rewarded it with a high(er) value treat before puppy gave her the bone back. Then she gave the bone back to puppy. She made explicit mention to give the treat first as an exchange. She progressed to eventually taking the bone & giving the higher value treat with no issues. hope this helps.

Edited by suziwong66