Yet Another Breed Suggestion Needed

Shakti

Hi all - a couple I know (who both work from home and only part-time) are looking for a puppy.

They want a lapdog NOT a terrier type personality and prefer long coated dogs. It must be no bigger than a CKCS and not necessarily super-intelligent but they would definitely prefer trainable!

I am at a loss. I suggested Poodles but they feel Poodles are too high-energy for them.

Anyone!??

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest RANDCMOORE31

I know lots of people on here aren't fans of the small white fluffies - but for the ultimate lap dog - I don't think you can go past the maltese. :thumbsup:

How about a Maltese - they have a very sweet loving nature, long coated breed, smaller than a CKCS and lower energy than a poodle.

They are very trainable and smart but not quite as "go go go" as poodles or paps etc. Mine just loves to cuddle and is happy going for a walk, cuddling in bed or playing fetch in the backyard.

How can you say no to this...

DSC_0578.jpg

or as a puppy...

189600_5152269214_712989214_138686_3964_n.jpg

Another might be the Shih Tzu which are very laid back and placid - again lovely long coat.

I stayed with someone who breeds Tibbies earlier this year and they certainly are different little dogs. Dunno about them being lap dogs though, they seemed to be quite happy to sit on their own bums, thank you very much. And one of them barked a lot. A very lot. And it was an ear splitting bark.

One thing I noticed about them was that if you were sitting down and there was a way for them to be level with your head, they'd get up there. They don't seem to like being "beneath" you.

Maybe a Bichon, or a Lhasa, or Tibetan Terrier as has already been suggested. My Tibetan Terriers are lap dogs, very trainable, very intelligent, velcro type dogs, supervisors of everything you do. Yes and definately not a terrier.

Not all small dogs are real lap dogs though, have had some big dogs who thought they were lap dogs.

I would suggest a bichon may be ideal (if they like white)

or a Havanese (if they prefer other colours)

both gorgeous lapdogs, lovely gentle playful dogs.

Tibetan Terriers also sound great but I haven't spent time with them so I am just going on what others have said there.

A critical thing would be grooming requirements. If they aren't keen on the regular grooming then forget the bichons and I think the CKCS would be a lower grooming option (not zero grooming though)

Guest lavendergirl

The Bichon has a gorgeous temperament and is the perfect lap dog. A word of caution though they bond very strongly with their people and don't like to be left alone at all. High grooming needs too. If they want a bit more independance in the dog then perhaps one of the tibetan breeds.