Pls Help I Found A Kitten

chiara

I know this is a dog forum but I don't know if there are cat forums so I'm posting this....

My rottie cornered a kitten in our yard... mama cat bolted and this really freaked out

kitten was left behind, doggie just barked at it and didn't hurt the kitten, we took kitten

inside to make sure he/she was ok, but I don't know what to do with a kitten he/she is

really really freaked out and won't even move I put him/her in the bath in the bathroom

as it's the safest place with a couple of towels, water and a some food that might appeal...

I'm leaving him/her alone but what after that....

How do I know if it's a feral cat and what's the difference I mean it's no older than 12 weeks

wouldn't he/she eventually get used to humans? If anyone has any suggestions please help

me!!!

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I want to see how he/she does first, I don't want to just dump him/her at the rspca if I can care for him/her ... any ideas on how to get him/her warmed up to me... I keep getting hissed at

Guest Willow

Lots of time!!!.....provide a cardboard box or hidey hole kitty can retreat into, provide fresh food and water, and a litter tray, and just leave it alone for now, they can take a while to come round. Poor thing had a huge shock, and might be fine after a couple of days, or might be genuinely feral, you just have to give it time & see. Do you have a spare dog crate you could set up for it????

When the kitten feels ready, it will come to you. :)

PM The Spotted Devil for some good cat advice!!!!

Cat World is a cat forum like this one.

Edited by Willow

haha cat world forum... didn't know that existed I posted there too! thank you!!!

I got the dog travel crate we used when the doggie was a pup, I put a towel there but kitty went for the under the sink technique

I will go and get kitty litter later... hopefully he/she knows what to do with that!!!

Alrighty...

Kitten is still with us and has warmed up to us amazingly, purrs and loves to be screeched under the neck. Has eaten a few times but still no luck with drinking water or toilet.

Slept all night and even had a bath, the poor thing had lots of fleas and I'm worried bout anemia so we're going to the vet later.

Today we'll go door to door to see if anyone is missing a kitten, and I've emailed a no kill shelter and hopefully they'll take kitty if everything else fails, however kitty is so cute and such a good kitten even my husband is keen to keep kitten if I can get the dog and the kitten to like each other... I need help with that!

The kitten is terrified of the Rottweiler but will be ok (no hissing) if I'm holding him/her I guess he/she must feel safe. The dog has gradually got used to the smell, and has slept on his bed next to me while I slept with kitten on my chest... So they tolerate each others presence. Today I tried to get the dog to gently smell the kittens rear and he tried to nip, not aggressively I think it was a "what is this reaction" and didn't even have time to clamp down coz I was right there holding kitty. I've now put the dog outside and I fed the kitten near a window where the dog was staring the whole time... I'm hoping the dog might relate.

I'm really not sure what else to do I would like to give it a fair go as the kitten has warmed up to me but not if either pets are in distress about the other's presence, the Rottweiler is so big I'm really not sure how to tell him he needs to be gentle and we can't really do this separation thing for long because the Rottweiler actually lives indoor most of the time...

Any suggestions???

Take it to the pound or the RSPCA, if the kitten has an owner, they have every right to claim it and the owner is not going to find it, while it's curled up in your house.

yipe - and you can put your name against it so that if no one comes forward you can get it.

I'm sorry but seriously this kitten is definitely not someone's pet and if it was I can find a better candidate than someone who let's a very small kitten run wild... Not to mention how skinny this poor kitty is and full of fleas, with no collar or I'd tag. Also did I mention we are familiar with mama cat and she's a stray, plus I would rather a no kill shelter for this little one the pound or RSPCA are not my first option.

I'm sorry but seriously this kitten is definitely not someone's pet and if it was I can find a better candidate than someone who let's a very small kitten run wild... Not to mention how skinny this poor kitty is and full of fleas, with no collar or I'd tag. Also did I mention we are familiar with mama cat and she's a stray, plus I would rather a no kill shelter for this little one the pound or RSPCA are not my first option.

How do you know it isn't someones pet?

That mother cat could be lost as well, (some people steal cats and then dump them many suburbs away) please at least ring your council to let them know you have the kitten.

No one is asking you to throw it out on the street, but I'm pretty sure your Rottie will see this kitten as something to eat (going by your previous post) so please take the kitten/and or /ring a shelter as well.

Little paws will be taking kitty! So happy as it's a no kill foster rescue, as for the chip there is none... I'm very confident this kitten is from a stray mama and I'm even more confident he or she will find a great home... With no dogs!

Im very surprised though by the comments made here... Does anyone know that the pound would probably put a non socialized kitten down?! I mean if it was an older cat who would show signs that it's been in contact with human I would agree try all venue to try and find the owner lord knows if my dog ever wondered I would feel totally desperate to find him and would hope someone would not just keep him but this is a stray kitten theres no doubt about it.

I just love how people assume that stray cats and dogs are infact stray. They assume that all flea ridden, skinny animals are neglected. There was recently the assumption that a dog that had been hit by a car, had falled from a ute and that the owner didn't deserve it.

Owners wonder why, when their dogs and cats go missing, they are unable to find them. The answer is because some do-gooder picks them up, makes an assumption and decides to keep it, or hands it over to "rescue" when they have no right to do so.

Take it to where it can be scanned for a chip and try to find who owns the mother cat.If the mother is a stray or feral she should be rounded up before she has more kittens.

Years ago we had neighbours who moved and left thier pregnant cat behind,She raised 2 litters i was told under a scout hall behind our house.The second litter would come into my yard and eat plumbs off the tree as they were so hungry.There was one Male from the first litter who was small and stunted,and 3 females about 3 or 4 months.I trapped one but it was too wild and let it go,then i hired a possum trap and got them all and took them to animal shelter.They were so wild the lady had to use thick gloves to put them in the pen.

Mmm... I would love to CDR- capture desex and release mama cat, she's pretty wild we've been leaving food out for her to see if she would come (maybe bring other kittens) but from what we can tell she's not approachable, neighbors tried too and she's been around for years... As for kitten I have high hopes that maybe being around domesticated cats might help.