Mate A 7 Year Old Bitch

Astese

I wouldn't do it, regardless of breed if it were a maiden bitch.

Even at 7 I'd be hesitant if it wasn't her first.

You dont breed Papillons past 7yo?

(Excuse my assumption that you breed Papillons, I am just deducing from your signature :))

Edited by lilli

I wouldn't do it, regardless of breed if it were a maiden bitch.

Even at 7 I'd be hesitant if it wasn't her first.

You dont breed Papillons past 7yo?

(Excuse my assumption that you breed Papillons, I am just deducing from your signature :))

I am a new breeder, have currently just bred the one litter, the bitch being a 2.5 yr old maiden. :)

I know some breeders may not have an issue with it, but it's something I would not feel comfortable doing.

In Afghans it's normal to breed a bitch for the first time after 5 years old. I know some who breed maiden 8 year olds.

Personally if she's a quality bitch, from healthy long living lines you can't get easily and is in peak physical condition, I'd do it.

I bred a litter from an 8 year old Lowchen bitch, her 3rd litter. She lived to 15.5 years.

Edited to add: My 8 year old was in show condition (full coat and muscle) and was shown when her last litter turned 3 months.

Edited by Lowenhart

• 3 weeks later...

Similar to Lowenhart, not unheard of in Salukis either but everything else has to be in place (health, fitness etc) and Salukis/Afghans are late maturing breeds.

I agree with Lilli that I would also look back to see the breeding history of the bitches behind her. If there was a history of having to intervene/problems I definitely wouldn't.

Would you mate a maiden 7 years old bitch who is extremely fit and healthy. The reason that she has not been mated before is 1. Too busy competing. 2. Could not find the right dog until now. 3. Did not realise who old she was thought she was 12 months younger. Please I need constructive / positive comments.

Depends on the lifespan of the breed and breeding history of the bitch's lineage.

This.

In the right circumstances with a healthy bitch I would consider it. In my breed it is not that uncommon. Earlier is much more ideal of course and matings tend to be less successful in older maiden bitches (in that they may not actually take in the first place - though this is based on my first hand knowledge of this type of mating, and many of them were frozen AI which have a lower success rate anyway - I probably wouldn't recommend bothering with frozen AI on an older maiden bitch), but I have not heard of any particular issues in my breed at least with older maiden bitches wher the mating does take. The litters I know of (here and overseas) have been successful and the bitch has remained healthy and happy throughout the process.

In breeds where are a bitch may be working through the prime of her life, it's not unheard of for her to have a first litter once she is older. Many working Siberians & Alaskan Huskies have their first litter at age 6/7/8, and many have been known to have a litter at 9 or 10 (or even later). These bitches are in top physical condition, and if not having a litter would still be working hard past the age of 10. They would also regularly live to 14+

• 4 weeks later...

I have a large breed and one of my girls had her first litter at 5.5........had her second and last litter this year at 8....was a great mum.....I had her spayed afterwards....she's in great shape, as playful as she was as a kid....circumstances prevented me from mating her before now....had i had a choice i would have mated her when younger but i have no regrets with the outcome....

i do think it depends on the dog....