Mate A 7 Year Old Bitch

Astese

Would you mate a maiden 7 years old bitch who is extremely fit and healthy. The reason that she has not been mated before is 1. Too busy competing. 2. Could not find the right dog until now. 3. Did not realise who old she was thought she was 12 months younger. Please I need constructive / positive comments.

I think enough can go wrong with a perfectly fit and healthy young maiden so would not even consider anything older than 5 years old having a first litter. Just not worth it.

Having said that I am sure there are some out there who do it - but personally if I had not found a suitable mate when she was younger I would not do it. Her health would be more an issue than a litter at that age.

I have a lovely young Rottweiler bitch that I have put off breeding, she will be 3 in October and I have decided if she is not bred by 4 1/2 yo then she won't be.

I think just by asking you already felt she was too old anyway. :o Sorry you were not in a position for her litter when she was younger.

I have known a few maidens bred at that age and older. A few have been ok, some have never conceived (whether that was normal or age related wasn't determined, but time runs short for repro work). And one I know struggled physically, and was never quite the same. She passed away after a general anaesthetic a while after and I always wonder if it was old age, the GA, or the stress of the litter. All three I suppose.

I think 6 would be my cut-off age for a maiden, and I'd prefer between 3 and 5 (bearing my breeds slow development in mind).

Thanks for your replies. Yes I now it is dangerous and I just needed to be told again and again. If I lost her I would never forgive myself. The owner of the dog said it was okay if she was big enough to take the dog probable if it was my dogs I would have said no. She is an exceptional bitch, great nature, good herding etc. Loves the kids and would open the door and let anyone in and help them take what they wanted. Thanks again for your imput.

It must be hard Astese.

I forgot as well - we have just had a litter from a maiden at three years old, she is at peak health and fitness etc - strong as an ox! But she had 12 pups... And it has been really hard work for her, even with lots (and lots!) of help. I have looked at her quite a few times and wondered how much harder it may have been if she were older. You never know for sure I guess.

It would be much simpler if we could just place an order for three or four pups!! Or two even!?

We have a 2 week old litter of 7 to a 5 year old maiden bitch - never again. She's a lot of hard work.

Her whelping was relatively painless, she did need to go into the vet for oxytocin to finish off, but apart from that she was fine.

She was initially aggressive towards the pups, and needed a few days of intensive work before she came around. She now loves them but she is clumsy, struggling with her milk and not really interested in staying in the box with the pups - has to be made to go into the box every few hours to feed, and doesn't really toilet them well (won't do poo at all) - consequently we are still pretty much monitoring around the clock (I don't have bags under my eyes, I have a full luggage set).

I have no way of knowing how much of this is her age, and how much of it is just her. She comes from lines of easy whelping and maternal bitches - it may just be that she would have been like this at whatever age, but who knows...

We should have mated her a few years ago, and I regret not doing so now.

Depends on the breed.

I have mated a maiden bitch when she was 5.5 years. Had no problems whelping but bleed a LOT afterward and it certainly took it out of her. This was a Staffordshire Bull Terrier so small-medium but robust. Wasn't my choice not to mate her earlier.

I have also had a bitch who had a singleton pup at 19 months then didn't have another litter until she was 6. She was fine, great mum.

Most of my bitches are 5 or more when they have their first and only litter. At 7 they would need to be extremely fit, healthy, sound and have had a reason for not being mated earlier. It's risky, but I dont think that much riskier than an earlier age.

I've know Lhasa bitches to have their first litter older than that, so it really depends on the breed too.

Would you mate a maiden 7 years old bitch who is extremely fit and healthy. The reason that she has not been mated before is 1. Too busy competing. 2. Could not find the right dog until now. 3. Did not realise who old she was thought she was 12 months younger. Please I need constructive / positive comments.

Depends on the lifespan of the breed and breeding history of the bitch's lineage.

Hi I have a litter that are almost 4 weeks old now. Mum is almost 6 but this was her second litter it has been the hardest litter I have ever had never again.

I also has a diffent girl have her 6 litter at the age og 6 and it was her worst litter never again.

Way to hard on the mother after they are 6 years old.