For The Lab Lovers

jacqui835

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I admire the enthusiasm of the Lab but as far as bite work was concerned I would think his bite was insignificant - barely a deterant. The Lab was having a good time and bully for him. I only have bitches in my yard ATM howver my girls are far more territorial than I thought they would be. My oldest black(4yr old) will not tollerate anyone around our fence however she is OK if they come to the front gate. She certainly deters people.

A question for the Lab breeders - I have only been breeding Labs for 4 years - I own black & yellow and have bred chocolates - just wondering has any other breeders noticed if there is the difference in temperament between the yellows and the blacks? ( I have bred and owned Kelpies, Cattledogs and GSD's and I would say there is a definate difference between red & blue ACD's and solid black & red or two toned Kelpies)

Regarding Labs I have observed that the blacks are generally more aloof, bolder and more territorial than the yellow. My yellows are a bit more clingy, talk alot and physically demanding of attention. Certainly it may be my girls and not apply to anyone else's Labs - but I would be curious to know if anyone consider there is a difference between yellows & black. However given all the other variables of food, environment and attention are pretty much the same I find it interesting. I cant comment on chocolates - I havent kept any I have bred yet. Though I will be next year I think.

Edited by Tapua

Tapua- my black girl is also very protective of the house.

I was also told that labs love everyone but mine certainly does not love everyone.

Interesting isnt it? Its not a negative thing IMO in any way just an observation -some of the old Lab book I have read prefer the blacks for their working ability and stability and generally did not like the yellows for the same reason though it appears that was more of an issue with the early developement of the yellows in the breed since they were initially developed under a separate register. Dont know how relevant it is now - I just find it a curiosity. :)

Hey guys,

WOuld be really grateful if one of the breeders could answer a question for me. I have read the lab breed standard etc etc

But I would love to know just in general laymans terms, what kind of head is a ideal lab head? I have seen some labs with really skinny faces (am not really fan of that kidn of face) and some with the nice big, puppy looking faces (HUGE fan of that face!)

Which is the correct face?

Hehehe excuse the language! I always refer to my goldens heads as "fat faces" much to the horror of my breeder who is very proud of their heads and tells me to stop calling it a fat face (I am a fan of fat faces!)! :laugh:

I have owned all three colours of closely related stock, mostly bitches. All combinations but BBEE and bbee. There can be significant differences between lines, but in my experience colour predicts only human reaction to the dog--people are more likely to be afraid of a black--but says nothing about temperament.

I admire the enthusiasm of the Lab but as far as bite work was concerned I would think his bite was insignificant - barely a deterant. The Lab was having a good time and bully for him. I only have bitches in my yard ATM howver my girls are far more territorial than I thought they would be. My oldest black(4yr old) will not tollerate anyone around our fence however she is OK if they come to the front gate. She certainly deters people.

A question for the Lab breeders - I have only been breeding Labs for 4 years - I own black & yellow and have bred chocolates - just wondering has any other breeders noticed if there is the difference in temperament between the yellows and the blacks? ( I have bred and owned Kelpies, Cattledogs and GSD's and I would say there is a definate difference between red & blue ACD's and solid black & red or two toned Kelpies)

Regarding Labs I have observed that the blacks are generally more aloof, bolder and more territorial than the yellow. My yellows are a bit more clingy, talk alot and physically demanding of attention. Certainly it may be my girls and not apply to anyone else's Labs - but I would be curious to know if anyone consider there is a difference between yellows & black. However given all the other variables of food, environment and attention are pretty much the same I find it interesting. I cant comment on chocolates - I havent kept any I have bred yet. Though I will be next year I think.

I have owned all three colours of closely related stock, mostly bitches. All combinations but BBEE and bbee. There can be significant differences between lines, but in my experience colour predicts only human reaction to the dog--people are more likely to be afraid of a black--but says nothing about temperament.

I agree with you 100% there....

Point taken about peoples response to colour - there is often a colour prejudice against blacks - it happens in the ring - but I am refering to the behaviour of the dog not the reaction of people to the dog.

Hey guys,

WOuld be really grateful if one of the breeders could answer a question for me. I have read the lab breed standard etc etc

But I would love to know just in general laymans terms, what kind of head is a ideal lab head? I have seen some labs with really skinny faces (am not really fan of that kidn of face) and some with the nice big, puppy looking faces (HUGE fan of that face!)

Hehehe excuse the language! I always refer to my goldens heads as "fat faces" much to the horror of my breeder who is very proud of their heads and tells me to stop calling it a fat face (I am a fan of fat faces!)! :laugh:

Not a breeder but I think what you are seeing is the show labs ( have bigger heads) and then the working labs have the 'skinny' faces and are usually leaner as well

Hey guys,

Not a breeder but I think what you are seeing is the show labs ( have bigger heads) and then the working labs have the 'skinny' faces and are usually leaner as well

Working labrador, do have bigger brains though!! Sorry had to add. O, and longer legs.

Currently in the middle of importing frozen semen from four US working labradors. I am so excited.

Edited by Lablover

I believe the head size of the Lab in the original standard (trying to find it but not having much success) was supposed to be larger in proportion when compared to a curley coated retriever ... I think still hunting for the standard :o

Tapua- my black girl is also very protective of the house.

I was also told that labs love everyone but mine certainly does not love everyone.

Interesting isnt it? Its not a negative thing IMO in any way just an observation -some of the old Lab book I have read prefer the blacks for their working ability and stability and generally did not like the yellows for the same reason though it appears that was more of an issue with the early developement of the yellows in the breed since they were initially developed under a separate register. Dont know how relevant it is now - I just find it a curiosity. :)

My black boy is a bubbly lunatic who loves everyone :laugh:

I believe the head size of the Lab in the original standard (trying to find it but not having much success) was supposed to be larger in proportion when compared to a curley coated retriever ... I think still hunting for the standard :o

I can't find the original standard, but there's a good comparison of standards at

http://www.canadasguidetodogs.com/labrador/labarticle6.htm

Basically, all say the skull should be broad but not disproportionate or overdone. A big head on thin legs looks awful.

Note, there are lots of dual purpose labs whose breeders aim to keep to show standards, but still maintain a working dog. Note also that the 'working lab' group includes broad-deep chested Labs with relatively large heads and strong legs. Google 'Master Hunter Labrador Retriever' and you'll find lots of examples. Eg

http://www.masterlabradors.com/chgoosemh.html

Here is my lab, he is from show lines but his father has a retrieving title. Bubitty i think labs and goldens have quite different traits :)

0e44cd7b.jpg

Yes, I realise that! But I think *I* like the good looks of the labs and have a perception that they may be more similar to a golden than other breeds!

I didn't say it was rational! I just said thats my perception hence no lab for me cuz it would not be fair or good for labby!