For The Lab Lovers

jacqui835

*sigh*

Completely off topic but I would LOVE LOVE LOVE a lab! I just worry I will compare them to the golden because of perceived similarities (in my eyes) and it will be unfair!

GR's are generally softer dogs than Labs BB.. I suggest if you're serious you meet as many as possible. I think that there are as many temperament differences as there are physical ones.

You should also look at Flat Coated Retrievers.. wonderful dogs and probably a bit softer than some Labs.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, I realise that! But I think *I* like the good looks of the labs and have a perception that they may be more similar to a golden than other breeds!

I didn't say it was rational! I just said thats my perception hence no lab for me cuz it would not be fair or good for labby!

After having the most wonderful Goldie as a child I figured a Lab couldnt be too different so I bought one of my first dog.

Both were very easy to train, happy to be with the family, sweet dogs but I found our Goldie was sweeter and more gentle. Less of a battering ram when playing too but might have just been her.

Personally I like Goldie's more but then maybe I will always compare everything to my wonderful Meg (RIP)

Edited by Bjelkier

I find the varying builds in Labradors very interesting. James is purely from show lines, as far as I can tell, and has a nice, broad head (my preferred look). Yet a tradie today was surprised that he was purebred simply because of the shape of his head, which isn't the first time it's had comments. I wonder if the field type is becoming the public's norm.

*sigh*

Completely off topic but I would LOVE LOVE LOVE a lab! I just worry I will compare them to the golden because of perceived similarities (in my eyes) and it will be unfair!

GR's are generally softer dogs than Labs BB.. I suggest if you're serious you meet as many as possible. I think that there are as many temperament differences as there are physical ones.

You should also look at Flat Coated Retrievers.. wonderful dogs and probably a bit softer than some Labs.

I would ignore this advice. Choose your breed according to you preferences. Choose a breeder who is aware of temperament. Temperament tends to be hereditary in gun dogs and pretty predictable. There has been a rash of aggressive or posessive and bite-inclined Goldies over the last few decades, so don't take it for granted that a Goldie will be soft. See, eg.

http://www.ygrr.org/...aggressive.html

http://retrieverman....ore-aggressive/

Guide Dogs has done lots of breed temperament comparison studies, and they keep going back to Labs because the chance of finding rock solid temperament and high intelligence and trainability is high in Labs.

PF uses Labs as strawmem. There's plenty you can dig up on individual Labs. They are, afterall, the most common pedigree dog in the US, Canada, UK, and Australia, and very popular elsewhere. So even if they're proportionally very low in incidence of aggression, etc., you can always find a few exceptions, and they may come up numerically significant. If there were as many poodles as labs, there would be a lot more poodle attacks.

Some work-oriented Lab breeders may aim for high drive for hunting and may produce some dogs who have more energy than you might want in your household. But in general, those breeders are happy to tell you what they're doing.

Personally, I like a dog that is sufficiently solid that you feel something when you lean on them or pat them so hard it gives a good thump. And I'd rather see muscles than a flowing (care-intensive) coat. The flip side of this is young dogs that may bowl you over if they hit you from the backside, and who need to be trained not to jump up cause they are inclined to scratch the paint on a car . . . or scratch you if you have bare legs. Goldies and flatcoats are less satisfying to me than Labs.

Edited by sandgrubber

*sigh*

I would ignore this advice. Choose your breed according to you preferences. Choose a breeder who is aware of temperament. Temperament tends to be hereditary in gun dogs and pretty predictable. There has been a rash of aggressive or posessive and bite-inclined Goldies over the last few decades, so don't take it for granted that a Goldie will be soft. See, eg.

http://www.ygrr.org/...aggressive.html

http://retrieverman....ore-aggressive/

Guide Dogs has done lots of breed temperament comparison studies, and they keep going back to Labs because the chance of finding rock solid temperament and high intelligence and trainability is high in Labs.

PF uses Labs as strawmem. There's plenty you can dig up on individual Labs. They are, afterall, the most common pedigree dog in the US, Canada, UK, and Australia, and very popular elsewhere. So even if they're proportionally very low in incidence of aggression, etc., you can always find a few exceptions, and they may come up numerically significant. If there were as many poodles as labs, there would be a lot more poodle attacks.

Some work-oriented Lab breeders may aim for high drive for hunting and may produce some dogs who have more energy than you might want in your household. But in general, those breeders are happy to tell you what they're doing.

Personally, I like a dog that is sufficiently solid that you feel something when you lean on them or pat them so hard it gives a good thump. And I'd rather see muscles than a flowing (care-intensive) coat. The flip side of this is young dogs that may bowl you over if they hit you from the backside, and who need to be trained not to jump up cause they are inclined to scratch the paint on a car . . . or scratch you if you have bare legs. Goldies and flatcoats are less satisfying to me than Labs.

:thumbsup: I agree 100% with Sandgrubber of course temperament vary when you look at individual dogs but having owned numerous breeds I would say Labs are one of the most steady and relaible dogs I have owned.

Edited by Tapua

They are, afterall, the most common pedigree dog in the US, Canada, UK, and Australia, and very popular elsewhere.

Really? I always thought it was the GSD.

GSD is #2 in the US and #3 in Australia. I was wrong, in 2010 the SBT overtook the Lab in number of registrations, and may be the most common breed, though numbers are similar. In the UK the GSD isn #4, behind Lab, springer spaniel and cocker spaniel.

After having my two I like the kind of dog who is energetic and over excited but can channel that energy into training. I don't train formally but I do train every day at home so I love a dog who will want to do heaps of stuff but has an off switch. Also am fond of super cheerful types

After having my two I like the kind of dog who is energetic and over excited but can channel that energy into training. I don't train formally but I do train every day at home so I love a dog who will want to do heaps of stuff but has an off switch. Also am fond of super cheerful types

MonElite Dobermann? ;)

Only kidding!

But if you want Ill lend you Fury for a week ;) that should teach you a bit more about over excited dogs that want to do more. She does have an off switch, but on occassion when you want to turn it off it keeps flicking over to on :rofl:

MonElite Dobermann? ;)

Only kidding!

But if you want Ill lend you Fury for a week ;) that should teach you a bit more about over excited dogs that want to do more. She does have an off switch, but on occassion when you want to turn it off it keeps flicking over to on :rofl:

Mon, you send her Fury and I'll send her Em :D