Do Any Breeds Fit This Criteria?

aussielover

The criteria is:

- a medium size dog: maximum size would be Mindy size (25kg lab) but preferably in the 15-20 kg range

- a wash and wear, short coat, no longer than the length of a lab (obviously shedding is not an issue lol).

- easy to train and eager to please

- friendly disposition, would prefer a more velcro type dog rather than an independent dog.

- energetic enough to do long all-day walks (up to 20 miles a day) at least several times a week but also willing to chill out at home when not walking, so not hyper all of the time.

- A strong herding instinct or high prey drive would also not be suitable.

I can only think of a Brittany at this stage- I dont really know much about them and their coat seems to be variable with some dogs having fairly short "thin" coats and some having thicker coats wit more feathering. The temperament and energy levels and size seem about right though.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Visla? of the hunting type dogs - they're one of the smaller ones, especially the females.

farm dog bitsa - they can be trained to have an off switch

beagle - though I'm not sure about the easy to train, they are eager to please.

munsterlander - there's one at our club competing obedience and agility, gorgeous dog and very eager to please the boss.

Brittany fits your criteria. :) The variance in hair may be more to do with grooming. The American Brittany standard states that excessive feathering should be severely penalised and that a less heavy coat is preferable to a light coat.

I was looking closely mainly at Tollers, Flat Coated Retrievers and Large Munsterlanders. I went for the dog that from what I had heard is the most sound in body and mind, I NEEDED a people friendly, dog friendly outgoing dog. Tollers came a close second and there is one special Toller boy in WA that I would have if I could have a carbon copy of him ;) But at the end of the day I wanted a Utility Gundog as you can do more - retrieving trials as well as UG ability test and field trials, I liked the idea of a pointing dog!

Vizlas would also suit but I only briefly considered them as I wanted a hairy dog that I can make pretty for the show ring.

Smooth collie or a Pointer (a small female would fit the criteria). Cardigan corgi.......might be a bit short but are apparently very, very nice dogs with great dispositions.

Corgis are a herding breed tho, which might rule them out on the OP's last criterion

Smooth coated collie?

Finnish Laphund?

A well-conformed shetland sheepdog would fulfill most of this criteria - (except the long coat - but they are easy to groom) and the weight thing - although if you get a pet that is oversize - you'd come close. I've seen a couple of shelties at obedience that are lab size.

What about an English Springer Spaniel? They don't fit the short coat criteria (but they can be clipped every couple of months and all is good) but they fit every other criteria.

I've only had experience with the one my brother has but he is a velcro dog completely to my brother, doesn't have a big prey drive, easy to train, intelligent, lovely temperament, very fit and sporty, but can also be a couch potato. I think he weights around 20kgs.

The Britany's are lovely looking dogs and I also like GSPs.

ETA: I agree with the poster below about getting a showline english springer.

Edited by Akay

Some interesting suggestions.

The dog is for my parents who are moving to live in the english countryside and are keen walkers.

Labs are still on the list, but would have to be a small adult.

Viszlas also seem suitable although the ones I've seen are on the larger side.

They don't like the look of short bodies dogs so bassets and corgis are out.

I think a Large Munsterlander could also suit.

Showline springers, lappies and shelties are too hairy, they are not willing to do anything but the most basic grooming.

Herding breeds like Kelpies and Collies could be ok, but the I don't know if the herding instinct would suit? They want to have pet sheep and chooks etc. Obviously they would leash the dog around other peoples stock but the concern would be the dog runniing off to look for stock whilst on a walk and hassling their own animals at home. They did say they were willing to get help from a trainer in regards to this though (stock-proofing dogs).

I think Brittanys fit the criteria best so far though...

Corgis are a herding breed tho, which might rule them out on the OP's last criterion

I got all excited 'cause you said 'criterion'. :D

:thumbsup: LOL

:laugh: I just finished a large writing project, so I get intermittently paranoid about correct English. Thanks for noticing! :rofl:

I also got excited 'cause OP's parents are going to England. There are some neat little slightly obscure herders around in the UK. Like English Shepherds!

SheffieldWeb.jpg

They are an all-rounder. Good companion, easy to train, but easy going and have an off switch.