Child Killed By Dog

Guest crickets

It was a video of a pitbull performing a FRII routine, complete with the displays of control in bitework that Matthew seems to think only GSDs are capable of.

However, given the context, I thought it would be misunderstood.

Ah. I see what you mean. Would absolutely love to see it if you could PM me the link pretty please?

• Replies 745
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was a video of a pitbull performing a FRII routine, complete with the displays of control in bitework that Matthew seems to think only GSDs are capable of.

Missed the post but that wouldn't be Capone by any chance?

Some do well In and have been titled In Schutzhund as well, It Is not their forte though and they're much better suited to other working roles :)

You didn't answer my question about the guarding breeds - there are a lot of breeds that have been and are used for guarding/security/protection/police and others that have historically been used for dogfighting. APBT do not have the monopoly on being used for some activity that used aggression.

I have never seen a fighting dog used in a role with Police or security guards. They aren't as controllable/trainable as dogs such as the German Shepherd. My brother was in the Army in QLD and good mates with an MP on the dog squad of the Army base guards. He said the level of self-control those dogs have is amazing. He saw a training scenario one day - in a bite suit one of the MP's ran from a dog that was sent to detain him. Just before the dog reached the guard in the bite suit, the dogs' handler issued an order to stop the chase and to return to his side. It did so immediately, without hesitation. Bet a pitbull wouldn't have that kind of restraint. Why do you think they aren't used in this role?

They are and have been

http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Police_dog

http://www.kold.com/...redirected=true

http://abclocal.go.c...ocal&id=6625698

(this one actually says they don't make very good police dogs because they are too nice)

http://bulldogbreeds...ullterrier.html

you might do some research and educate yourself rather than making up nonsense.

Edited by Cat

Missed the post but that wouldn't be Capone by any chance?

Some do well In and have been titled In Schutzhund as well, It Is not their forte though and they're much better suited to other working roles :)

Yes it was :laugh: They don't have the mouth for SchH but it seems to be fine for Ring sports. Control is certainly not what they lack! I'm not too proud to admit my GSD doesn't have an out that good.

MattB you are wrong re police and army. The reason these dogs are not used is that they are to friendly towards people. When trained they tend to focus way to much on the equipment rather then a person. The rather bite the sleeve then an arm. Plus most are not big enough

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

There are really experienced people commenting on what they know about dogs and protection training why be a sarcastic ....?

Edited by casowner

MattB you are wrong re police and army. The reason these dogs are not used is that they are to friendly towards people. When trained they tend to focus way to much on the equipment rather then a person. The rather bite the sleeve then an arm. Plus most are not big enough

There are really experienced people commenting on what they know about dogs and protection training why be a sarcastic ....?

What Monelite has said is spot on.

Owning a dangerous dog needs to start being painted publicly as stupid and irresponsible as drink driving, speeding etc. Start putting fully graphic ads on television for the consequences of what happens. Instead of being thought of as a "Bloody Legend" for your big tough dog... people need to start thinking your a "Bloody Idiot". Take the status symbol out of the dog.

Portray owning these uncontrollable dogs as an unattractive thing socially, portray having a good well behaved trained dog as a Fun, Family and community thing and it will begin to deter these bogan morons from doing this with ANY breed of dog they can get their hands on, and it will help ALL dog ownership.

Make it a public embarrassment to have a vicious, untrained dog and noone will want to be seen that way. And apply hard punishments to people who let this happen - euthanase the dog, im sorry but a dog that has killed or viciously maimed with no good reason (unprovoked or illness etc.) should not have resources wasted on it when there are thousands of dogs with good sound temperaments dying in shelters.

Punish the people with Harsher fines, Jail time, Losing their vehicles, losing access to centrelink payments, public transport and Any other thing that might be considered a "Liberty" they have deprived someone else of their family memeber, or given someone a traumatic experiance to last a life time... then this is the kind of punishment that should be inflicted on them... And if they are given community service? Fine make it in the RSPCA or somewhere where they have to be forced to help animals and do some good.

Banning breeds/dogs/etc will NEVER stop this kind of thing from happening. It is sad and it is tragic. I cant imagine how these people feel. :cry:

Since you know it all, why dont you tell us all more about your breed, your achievements in some dog sports and share what knowledge you have in regards to training.

So far you have been impressed with some dogs recall, said that it cant be achieved with a specific breed (pitbull) and told us that labradors are great family pets that never bite.

Few videos that I posted just ruined your theory, but I am still super interested in what breed do you have and what do you do with your dog.

I actually think some of you are being quite mean to Matthew B.

he is only saying, what most of the general public are saying, after the death of a child ...

Instead of mocking him, or even when some of you aren't mocking him, you call his argments stupid, and say, "what don't you get... " quite aggressive...

You won't win your points this way ..

Edited by Angelina

Mathew B doesn't own a dog, never has, never will with any luck.

He's got a Labrador Retriever.

What MatthewB has demonstrated in this thread is a profound ignorance of dog aggression and a complete inability to acknowledge any reasoned argument that differs from his view point. He's also been quite snide.

I think folk are a tad frustrated. :(

Edited by poodlefan

he is only saying, what most of the general public are saying, after the death of a child ...

like moths to the flame.

He has a uneducated view of dog training and behaviours. People wiht a lot of experience in dog ownership, training, behaviours, protection training, police work etc try to tell him that he is wrong.

Its a shame that general public is very uneducated about dog ownership, and one of the reasons that accidents such as the one that this thread is about, happen.

There isnt enough education about dog ownership, this site provides a lot to those that want to learn, but it seems MattB isnt one of those willing to open his horisons. Unfortunatelly that is also representative of the general population.

Edited by MonElite

Awesome...I nearly peed myself when the guy ran off and the dog latched on to his arm. :rofl:

Mr Murphy was an amazing little dog and that team work is fantastic. Thanks for posting, Mon.

Same. :laugh: What a clever little dog.

Now, it is funny and we call this dog clever, well trained and cute. Replace this dog with a rottie, dobe, GSD or doG forbid a pittbull and its no longer funny, its serious stuff, that most would consider very dangerous.