Child Killed By Dog

Guest crickets

• Replies 745
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Almost every dog is capable of snapping, but is it a coincidence that pitbulls are the dogs most commonly associated with human deaths or horrendous injuries suffered by those lucky enough to live? I think not.

Pitbulls are NOT the dogs most commonly associated with human deaths.

Do your homework.

Oh no, i got the sarcasm :p

I do apologise, and have removed the comment. Altho i dont think with 3 year olds anything is deliberate. My comments were more directed at the PRO BSL comments. It was a moment of weakness and i have had a moment to cool down, and realise the comment was not helpful.

As i said before, there is no excuse, the owner will have to pay the penalty for this crime.

Sorry to those i offended.

Look accidents happen. Gates get left open. But the overwhelming majority of loose dogs do NOT go on to savage and kill. Lets focus on what process made that dog what it was and not how it happened to be in that place at that time. Its the only thing that can help prevent another one of these disasters.

I think that's the point. Gates sometimes are off the latch and the dog gets out. Why on earth would you want a dog that then goes out to attack at the first opportunity ? I remember one of our dogs going for a stroll around the neighbourhood because someone thought they had shut the gate. After a very worried search for her she appeared, trotting back home. We were worried she would get run over but never, ever in our wildest dreams did we worry she might attack someone. I don't think the answer is only in training. Breeding is a huge percentage of the problem.

I dont usually post on any forums but this terrible, terrible tragety has really shocked me...I saw what steve austin said this morning and think i agree with him its just one attack to many by a pit bull type and something needs to be done, (what i dont know) BUT in saying that i am still a little undecided, I know of a lot of pit bulls that are great family dogs and well socialized and wouldnt hurt anyone. I have never owned a pit bull, being a proud owner of 2 breeds that could be mistaken for a pit bull that worries me and would never want my breeds to be discriminated against or steriotyped...but to tell you the truth i am always a bit hesitant of pit bulls..is that because of the media hype? Its a hard one and do feel for all the responsible owners of pit bulls but I feel more strongly for the poor little girl who lost her life and what her family are going through now....

While i feel for the family, you have to wonder if the little girls didnt find the dog wandering outside, and had a play with it then took it in to mommy to do the whole "can we keep it?" when the dog was cornered in the house it was unfamiliar with, it could have become fear aggressive? Or do the people that want the breed banned think it picked out a house with people home, and knocked down the door???

That is really sick.

I agree!!!! That is a really disturbing statement

Try another scenario. The dog's owner has been robbed a couple times. He, rightly or wrongly, blames 'blackfellas'. Any time a dark skinned person goes by and the dog hits the fence, he tells the dog 'good boy', and he laughs when the local refugee community shows terror at his dog. The dog has been out on a few pig hunts, and has poor bite inhibition. Oops the gate got left open. If this is what happened, in my opinion the guy is guilty of both a hate crime AND murder (ok, involuntary manslaughter). Can't blame the dog.

The above is just fiction, but, I think, more plausible than your scenario.

PF is right . . . the owner is the problem. There are instances of dogs killing children, but it's almost always a child wandering into the dog's yard; occasionally some horrid result of not properly introducing the dog to the baby. I think you'll have a hard time finding even a single incidence in the dog attack statistics of a dog going into a neighbour's home, killing a child, and harming other people. That is absolutely unforgivable.

If that was one of my dogs it would be dead. No way in hell would I get it assessed - it would be getting the needle.

Raz, i am sure it will be destroyed, no argument, but at a guess the assessment could be to find why perhaps? Thats the only reason I can see.

If that was one of my dogs it would be dead. No way in hell would I get it assessed - it would be getting the needle.

Raz, i am sure it will be destroyed, no argument, but at a guess the assessment could be to find why perhaps? Thats the only reason I can see.

When you ascribe the behaviour to breed, all further assessment ceases - that is the danger of BSL.

Almost every dog is capable of snapping, but is it a coincidence that pitbulls are the dogs most commonly associated with human deaths or horrendous injuries suffered by those lucky enough to live? I think not.

Do your homework.

Let me check the statistics to see how many people died from an attack by a Beagle last year...

Do your homework.

Let me check the statistics to see how many people died from an attack by a Beagle last year...

While you're at it, check what breeds top the bite stats. Seems to me that reference to statistics might shatter a few illusions for you. Note that most researchers are highly wary of breed attibution and suggest that its inaccurate in many cases.

It might benefit a few folk to actually read the research on dog induced fatalities. What's missing from a some opinions being expressed here is any real understanding of what makes a truely dangerous dog. Breed is one factor but it sure as hell isn't the main one.

Edited by poodlefan

Yep yep true, Krustie. I wasnt having a go at Steve. I was saying what I would do in this situation.

I assume gundog and herding breeds would be right up there with bites PF given how mouthy both groups are. However if they tabled bites that require hospitalisation by breed I think those stats would be wildly different.

The other reason they're right up there is that they are very popular dogs. More of a breed generally equates to more bites.

Almost any breed of dog is capable of inflicting serious damage on a child. Children aged 1-4 are the most frequent victims of fatal dog attacks.

Edited by poodlefan

This breed of dogs (pitbull) needs to be banned, period. They have been bred over many, many years to be fighting dogs. That is their pedigree, it is what they were bred to do. They weren't bred to be cuddly playthings for the kids to poke and prod. They fight, maim and kill and once they have experienced the taste of human blood they will more often than not be involved in repeat attacks. It is as simple as that and arguing otherwise is just plain stupid and irresponsible. There is no need for these kinds of vicious dogs to be kept as pets by anyone. I don't care how much of an expert on this breed someone claims to be, you cannot make this breed of dogs a safe breed. It is imprinted into their brains to fight and takes just one moment, one thing for them to be set off and then there's virtually no stopping them except a Police Officer and his gun. Jailing or fining owners is not the answer, as it will not save victims of these aggressive, powerfully built dogs. We need to be more proactive, rather than reacting only after someone has been maimed or killed. The only responsible course of action is for the breed to be banned and for breeding these dogs to also be banned until they cease to exist.

Great solution - so then what will we do when the former pitbull owners get a new breed or cross-breed and that attacks a person because of their inability to responsibly control or own the animal? I'm sure the victims of that attack will be very grateful that the pitbull was banned for ownership and nothing was done to ensure people are responsible about dog ownership.

What is proactive is making sure that idiots who are unable to be responsible with dogs are not allowed to have them. The licencing/registration of owners makes a lot of sense to me, even moreso than dog registration.

May be that in Canada there were alot of bites from Retrievers, but how many were fatal? Zero - none! How many fatal pitbull attacks have we seen in the last few years? Far too many!

It has been proven that most of the "pibulls" weren't. Where does that leave us? Lets ban crossbred dogs because seriously that's what most of the fatalities are caused by.

Go and research how the issue was handled in Calgary. In that city, with no BSL, dog bites plummetted where in BSL cities they increased.

The differences was that education, not prohibition was the strategy.

Banning a breed does not make a community safer.

Yep yep true, Krustie. I wasnt having a go at Steve. I was saying what I would do in this situation.

Each to their own Raz. :shrug: I dont know what it would do in this instance!!!

For me this is quite personal as i have a girl who has become child reactive, and this awful accident has really made me open my eyes! I happened to book a behaviourist early this week who is coming on saturday. For me the assessment and treatment/plan is something i would rather do before, rather than after something like this. i guess that is a round about way of saying i can see why they would assess it!