Child Killed By Dog

Guest crickets

This breed of dogs (pitbull) needs to be banned, period. They have been bred over many, many years to be fighting dogs. That is their pedigree, it is what they were bred to do. They weren't bred to be cuddly playthings for the kids to poke and prod. They fight, maim and kill and once they have experienced the taste of human blood they will more often than not be involved in repeat attacks. It is as simple as that and arguing otherwise is just plain stupid and irresponsible. There is no need for these kinds of vicious dogs to be kept as pets by anyone. I don't care how much of an expert on this breed someone claims to be, you cannot make this breed of dogs a safe breed. It is imprinted into their brains to fight and takes just one moment, one thing for them to be set off and then there's virtually no stopping them except a Police Officer and his gun. Jailing or fining owners is not the answer, as it will not save victims of these aggressive, powerfully built dogs. We need to be more proactive, rather than reacting only after someone has been maimed or killed. The only responsible course of action is for the breed to be banned and for breeding these dogs to also be banned until they cease to exist.

Great solution - so then what will we do when the former pitbull owners get a new breed or cross-breed and that attacks a person because of their inability to responsibly control or own the animal? I'm sure the victims of that attack will be very grateful that the pitbull was banned for ownership and nothing was done to ensure people are responsible about dog ownership.

What is proactive is making sure that idiots who are unable to be responsible with dogs are not allowed to have them. The licencing/registration of owners makes a lot of sense to me, even moreso than dog registration.

You know, when I saw my first Bull Arab dog here Down Under, I honestly went "What the hell is that thing? And they honestly think Pit Bull types are the problem? Hang head and sigh". Why? They're HUGE and with a natural aloofness to humans with a predatory instinct. They make a 20 kg pit bull type dog look, well, midget. And I'm not being breedist either, read next paragraph please.

We have this problem with American Bulldogs in North America. Virtually non-existent 20 years ago, now they are becoming more routine in dog attack headlines. Why? (Everyone, get your Syl Stallone hats on) Because morons realized that if a pit bull type dog didn't "Do It for ya." there are always, bigger, badder dogs that aren't regulated. Oh wait, you have them down here too. And more often that not owned by people that just appreciate one aspect of the breed (their gorgeous size, their natural guarding ability). But responsible ownership of any breed makes a life or death difference. Just ask the owners of babies/toddlers fatally mauled by a JRT and Pom X in North America.

It's an ugly, hairy snowball issue.

• Replies 745
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone know if there is an increase in the numbers of humans killed or seriously injured by dogs?

My perception is that the issue is ocurring with more frequency, but this may not be the reality.

I can tell you for a fact that it pales into insignificance compared with deaths and injuries caused by bicycles.

Lets ban those too shall we? ;)

It does seem that pitbull type dogs are more frequently involved in fatal attacks and severe maulings so who can blame them? I don't know if its because pitbull attacks are reported more frequently or because of the circumstances the dogs are raised in, or even that the temperament of these dogs is inherently poor due to poor breeding practices. I think these issues need to be investigated more fully and I really doubt banning the breed is a solution.

As has been said prevoiusly, most seroius dog attacks occur in low socioeconomic area, where the owners have little understanding of dog behaviour and needs and the animals are poorly bred (usually crossbred).

Perhaps it seems Pit bull type dogs are more frequently involved in dog attacks

because staffys and Labradors are very common breeds and their mixes are dubbed "Pit Bull Mix".

Steve Austin was just on Today, saying he believes it's now time to ban them nationally. His reasoning is that while any dog is capable of aggression there has just been one to many incidents now, with this style of dog.

Thank god for someone like Steve Austin to voice what many are thinking. Too too many attacks by this type of dog, when will it stop?

I completely agree. Get rid of those dogs. The councils don't do enough, they are easy to buy, and the dogs kill their "prey". An innocent child has been killed, and her family will suffer for the rest of their lives. We do not need these dogs.

How will we determine Labradors and staffy mixes, from "pit bull type" mixes?

Can you tell the difference between the aforementioned mixes?

*sigh* here we go again! any dog is capable of biting, I deal with hundreds (literally! I work at a vet clinic and a boarding facility!!) of dogs on a daily basis, its not the "pitbull type" dogs I worry about getting bitten by... just my hands-on everyday experience talking.... I feel horrible for the mother and that poor little girl, I hope the dog is euth'd asap...

Even if pit bulls were wiped off the face of the earth we will still have dog attacks that maim/ kill victims.

The issue that remains is irresponsible/ ignorant owners. Plenty of other large powerful breeds can be dangerous in the wrong hands.

Oh, wait, lets just ban all large breeds. That will fix it....

Does anyone know if there is an increase in the numbers of humans killed or seriously injured by dogs?

My perception is that the issue is ocurring with more frequency, but this may not be the reality.

I can tell you for a fact that it pales into insignificance compared with deaths and injuries caused by bicycles.

Lets ban those too shall we? ;)

I am sure it would pale into insignificance, however, are there stats to show it is increasing anywhere that anyone is aware of or is it just my perception?

and someone mentioned stat's in a previous post, would you like the nsw stats? I can tell you now pitbulls arnt even in the top 10...

Would you expect them to be? The expected frequency would be very low for any restricted breed.

What we really need to look at in this case is "have dog bites reduced since breed-restriction laws took effect in NSW?"

So you susggest we just ignore the high amount in the statistics???

just asking ...

can people really say, they are not more prone to attacking

Perhaps its the people that choose to own them???

If you want a vicious dog looking dog that attacks people or a "guard dog" or a "pigging dog" you're not exactly going to get a SWF or even a beagle or golden retriever are you?

ETA= absolutely no offence meant to responsible people who love pitties, and I know there are many out there.

Unfortunately the "look" of the dog also seems to draw some undesirable owner is what I was trying to say

No offence taken, I am curious as to how you differentiate a staffy/lab mix from a "pit bull mix"?

Trinabean I actually managed to pick it first time....but as a dog judge it was mostly by eliminating the others not by knowing a APBT.

Well done Experiencedfun! And thanks for your honesty.

I think many people might find it surprisingly difficult to correctly identify an APBT first go.

No use arguing with you. You're obviously a pitbull fanboy and will not see anyone else's side of the story no matter how futile your argument is. I'm off for lunch.

Actually I'm a poodle and whippet owning female who's never owned and will never own an APBT and I live in one of the only places in Australia where it is still legal to own one.

Matthew, you show me ONE place anywhere in the world where banning breeds has lead to a decrease in dog fatalities. I can tell you now that you won't find one. How is that a "futile" argument?

Breed bans don't work. There are no simple solutions to the questions of what makes dangerous dogs. Until we as humans accept our responsiblity for creating such animals, children will continue to die.

It's quite simple, even you should be able to understand it. Ban the breed and it ceases to be around to kill or maim people. Yes, the dog was bred to fight other dogs, but in the absence of another dog, it'll attack anything that moves if it's in the frame of mind to do some damage. Your argument is as dumb as that regarding guns. "Guns don't kill people, people do". Take the gun out of the equation and there'd be a massive drop in the homicide rate. Same thing applies to this vicious breed. Take it out and there won't be any pitbulls to attack people.

Post edited to correct typo...

Edited by Matthew_B

So you susggest we just ignore the high amount in the statistics???

just asking ...

can people really say, they are not more prone to attacking

Perhaps its the people that choose to own them???

If you want a vicious dog looking dog that attacks people or a "guard dog" or a "pigging dog" you're not exactly going to get a SWF or even a beagle or golden retriever are you?

ETA= absolutely no offence meant to responsible people who love pitties, and I know there are many out there.

Unfortunately the "look" of the dog also seems to draw some undesirable owner is what I was trying to say

No offence taken, I am curious as to how you differentiate a staffy/lab mix from a "pit bull mix"?

does it have a red nose lol.

Why do you need to differentiate a lab/staff from a pitbull?

If its attacked someone does it really matter- the environment it was raised in and the circumstances leading to the attack is more importnant imo

No use arguing with you. You're obviously a pitbull fanboy and will not see anyone else's side of the story no matter how futile your argument is. I'm off for lunch.

Actually I'm a poodle and whippet owning female who's never owned and will never own an APBT and I live in one of the only places in Australia where it is still legal to own one.

Matthew, you show me ONE place anywhere in the world where banning breeds has lead to a decrease in dog fatalities. I can tell you now that you won't find one. How is that a "futile" argument?

Breed bans don't work. There are no simple solutions to the questions of what makes dangerous dogs. Until we as humans accept our responsiblity for creating such animals, children will continue to die.

It's quite simple, even you should be able to understand it. Ban the breed and it ceases to be around to kill or maim people. Yes, the dog was bred to fight other dogs, but in the absence of another dog, it'll attack anything that moves if it's in the frame of mind to do some damage. Your argument is as dumb as that regarding guns. "Guns don't kill people, people do". Take the gun out of the equation and there'd be a massive drop in the homicide rate. Same thing applies to this vicious breed. Take it out and there won't be any pitbulls to attack people.

But there will be other breeds to attack people with the Same idiot owners