Remedy For Bacterial Ear Infection

nickyp

Over the last couple of years Emmylou (10yo kelpie x acd) has had recurring bacterial infections in her ears. These are not yeast infections (she's had those in the past), there is no smell and the first sign I see of them is that Em starts to seek out things, usually paper or cardboard (especially hardcover books), to chew. Shortly after that she'll start scratching at her ear(s) and looking for more attention than usual.

The vet has told me that these infections are due to foreign objects - bits of dirt probably - getting into Em's ears and being trapped because her ear canals are so narrow and hairy. I'm supposed to clean Em's ears weekly, but have to admit that I tend not to because she hates it so much. I have to wrestle with her to do it and I always end up covered in the cleaning solution. I haven't done her ears over the winter months while she's been inside most of the time and they've been fine. However, with the warmer weather in the last couple of weeks, the dogs have been spending more time outside, where Em tends to sleep in the dirt, and her ears have flared up.

I have two product here to use for cleaning - Malacetic Otic and Epi-Otic - which I can use for cleaning and I think they do help a bit, but I don't think they'll do the job to kill the infection at this stage. I'm wondering if anyone can suggest something to get the infection under control and then I'll make more of an effort to keep Em's ears clean.

I would normally take her to the vet, and I will if I can't find another answer, but I'd thought I'd see if I can avoid it this time to save some money and get out of the usual lecture I get.

You need to see a vet to get the infection under control ... and then regular cleaning to maintain the ears so it doesn't re-occur.

If the ears are hairy then maybe plucking them might help to allow better air flow (but it might also allow more dirty to enter) ... someone else might be able to answer that as I have never plucked ear hair before.

Thanks for the replies. I think I kind of knew that we'd end up at the vets anyway, but was hoping to avoid it this time.

We go to a large vet clinic & hospital where there are a number of vets on staff, but I seem to get the same one every time I take Em in. She (the vet) is very nice, but I get the same lecture about Em's ears and one about her weight every time. I can wear the lecture about the ears, I deserve that, but I get very tired of hearing the one about Em's weight, because she's really not overweight. The vet has purebred working kelpies and, I think, bases her opinion of how Em should look on them. Being - at best guess - a kelpie x acd, Em is more solidly built than those dogs and, IMO, really doesn't need to lose any more weight.

Ask the vet for Topigen. I used bucketloads of surolan and dermotic - saw a different vet and he gave me these drops and my boys constant ear infection went after 3 days and hasnt come back.

FWIW I used to go to a big fancy vet hospital. They just kept telling me the same thing and giving me the same meds everytime sometimes fresh eyes and a second opinion is worth it

I'm thinking that I might try out a new vet that has opened near us. I've never had any complaints about the vet hospital and have actually been very grateful that they're so big and can do pretty much everything on site, but it did occur to me that it might be time for a change. Also the new one is walking distance from home, which would reduce the stress factor quite a bit for Em - she knows when she gets in the car without our other dog that she's going to the vet.

Over the last couple of years Emmylou (10yo kelpie x acd) has had recurring bacterial infections in her ears. These are not yeast infections (she's had those in the past), there is no smell and the first sign I see of them is that Em starts to seek out things, usually paper or cardboard (especially hardcover books), to chew. Shortly after that she'll start scratching at her ear(s) and looking for more attention than usual.

The vet has told me that these infections are due to foreign objects - bits of dirt probably - getting into Em's ears and being trapped because her ear canals are so narrow and hairy. I'm supposed to clean Em's ears weekly, but have to admit that I tend not to because she hates it so much. I have to wrestle with her to do it and I always end up covered in the cleaning solution. I haven't done her ears over the winter months while she's been inside most of the time and they've been fine. However, with the warmer weather in the last couple of weeks, the dogs have been spending more time outside, where Em tends to sleep in the dirt, and her ears have flared up.

I have two product here to use for cleaning - Malacetic Otic and Epi-Otic - which I can use for cleaning and I think they do help a bit, but I don't think they'll do the job to kill the infection at this stage. I'm wondering if anyone can suggest something to get the infection under control and then I'll make more of an effort to keep Em's ears clean.

I would normally take her to the vet, and I will if I can't find another answer, but I'd thought I'd see if I can avoid it this time to save some money and get out of the usual lecture I get.

Once you have Emmylou's ear infection under control you may wish to talk to your vet about swapping onto a more gentle option for regular use. These two products may be required, but at the same time they may also contribute to some dogs having ear infections. The ear naturally has a balance of bacteria that reside there, all in a careful balance in small numbers so one type does not overpower and increase in numbers to create an infection. Using these types of cleaners can actually disrupt this balance and allow either new bacteria not native to that environment move in, or one of the natural bacteria to overpower its competitors.

I would perhaps consider seeing a veterinary dermatologist about this- it may cost more initially but it will probably mean that the situation will be resolved instead of having to see your regular vet a number of times, and perhaps having to try a number of different products so end up being cheaper in the long run!! These infections may actually be due to an allergy so by changing diet or working out what the allergy is you might get to avoid regular ear cleaning all together!!!

Once you have Emmylou's ear infection under control you may wish to talk to your vet about swapping onto a more gentle option for regular use. These two products may be required, but at the same time they may also contribute to some dogs having ear infections. The ear naturally has a balance of bacteria that reside there, all in a careful balance in small numbers so one type does not overpower and increase in numbers to create an infection. Using these types of cleaners can actually disrupt this balance and allow either new bacteria not native to that environment move in, or one of the natural bacteria to overpower its competitors.

I would perhaps consider seeing a veterinary dermatologist about this- it may cost more initially but it will probably mean that the situation will be resolved instead of having to see your regular vet a number of times, and perhaps having to try a number of different products so end up being cheaper in the long run!! These infections may actually be due to an allergy so by changing diet or working out what the allergy is you might get to avoid regular ear cleaning all together!!!

Thanks, Woofen. I have actually been wondering about the possibility of an allergy, given that she's been fine all winter and then, as soon as the spring-ish weather starts, so does the ear infection. I've made an appointment at the new vet's for this evening, so I'll ask about it.

I know I should be better about the cleaning and maintenance, but Em hates having her ears cleaned so much that I feel really mean doing it ... then, of course, I feel really bad when she gets an ear infection and I know I haven't kept up the cleaning - damned if I do and damned if I don't. :rolleyes:

My older boy hated having his ears cleaned too. So we started using two people ... one to touch his ears while the other clicked and rewarded. Now we can clean his ears without having to hold him down & the neighbours wondering who is being murdered.

Yes do go to the vet - and insist on a swab - it will cost initially but will be worth it in the end as you'll accurately identify the bug and the appropriate drug. Otherwise its too hit and miss.

I learnt this the hard way - dog farm rescue westie with bad ears after he 'got out' - managed to clear up the right ear but the left was still chronically infected. For a long time we just guessed until a new vet receommended the swab and we discovered he had a highly resistant bug - pseudomonas - and after exhausting every antibiotic known to man and dog he had to have a complete left ear ablation (surgicalremoval of the left ear canal, cavity and tympanic membrane). And now he's pain free for the first time in years - although very deaf.

Now I'm not suggesting this is the case with your dog - simply saying do the diagnostics despite the cost so you know exactly what you are dealing with - it will save you a heap of money in the long run and your dog a heap of pain. I so wish I had done that earlier and saved Mac a long period of pain. :(

Good luck! :)

Edited by westiemum

I got a little rescue dog whose ears had terrible and untreated infections. When the vet put her under anaesthetic, it was discovered her ear drums were blown. Over the 2.5 years I had her, she actually required 3 surgeries and daily drops which were changed regularly to keep things under control.

In the first 3 months however, I had an amazing improvement - I purchased All Natural Dog Food from www.pricelesspets.com.au which is specially formulated for dogs with ear/skin problems.

My vet could not believe the improvement because they thought she'd need ear ablation, thankfully I believe the food and the drop regime kept that at bay.

It's not expensive food, very reasonable actually and I've had good results for dogs with skin issues too and they all enjoy it as well.

I can't emphasise enough how important it is to get a dog with an ear infection to the vet straight away. It bloody hurts and can do terrible and permanent damage if left untreated. I see plenty of dogs from the pound with these issues unfortunately who've no doubt suffered for a long time for want of a few dollars on antibiotics and a vet appointment ....

And my little rescue dog was a Westie cross, gone to heaven now, poor little girl.

Edited by dogmad

I can't emphasise enough how important it is to get a dog with an ear infection to the vet straight away. It bloody hurts and can do terrible and permanent damage if left untreated.

Absolutely agree dogmad - ear infections should not be mucked around with. After Mac's left ear ablation the surgeon rang me after the 4 hour op :eek::( and said we made the right decision - the cavity behind the ear drum was so chock-a-block full of pus we would never have solved the problem clinically - and Mac must have been in terrible pain.

So don't muck around with it - and get thee and thy dog off to the vet in the morning and get that swab! :)

Good luck and will be very interested to hear how you get on. :)